301. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny Weir

159 52.82%
  • Jeremy Abbott

142 47.18%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who has had a better career- Weir or Abbott

Both have 3 U.S titles, and Abbott might win his 4th shortly, or might not. Weir has a single world bronze, but Abbott has the grand prix final gold which I consider bigger than just a bronze at worlds, but Weir also has a few other grand prix final medals and respectable world results even not medalling. Which has had the better career at this point.

vCash
    I voted for Weir because he won so many international events.

vCash
    medal from worlds > grand prix final gold.

vCash
    I think Johnny beats Jeremy so far career wise, If Jeremy can land on some major podiums from now until Worlds 2014 (which I think could be his last comp. as an amateur) then he could surpass Johnny.

Results:

Weir:
    - 2 time Olympian(5th in 2006, 6th in 2010)
    -2008 World Bronze medalist (5th in 2004,4th in 2005,7th in 2006, 8th in 2007) 5 appearances so far.
    -1 4CC appearance (4th in 2002)
    -3 time U.S Champion, 2 U.S Silver meals, 2 Bronze medals.
    -2 GPF Bronze medals (Qualified for the GPF 5 times)
    -11 GP medals (4 gold)
    -Junior world champion

Abbott:
    -1 Time Olympian(9th in 2010)
    -Highest placement at worlds was 5th (11th in 2008 and 2009. 8th in 2012) 4 appearances so far.
    -Two time 4CC bronze medalist.
    -3 time U.S Champion, 3 Pewter medals.
    -1 GPF Gold (Qualified for GPF 3 times)
    -8 GP medals (3 gold)
    -Never competed as a junior internationally.
    Last edited by DimaToe; 01-13-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Weir may have had the better results, but his career peaked earlier.

Although he was less consistent, Jeremy also included much more difficult content than Johnny.

vCash
    I voted for Johnny, only because a World Medal Jeremy does not have, and that to me speaks volumes.

That said, Jeremy Abbott remains as my all-time favorite American men skater e-v-e-r, hands down, HE combines exquisite artistry with technical precision, hands down.

vCash
    Johnny had more success at worlds (bronze medal) and higher placements at the Olympics than Jeremy. So he is my choice.

vCash
    I'm surprised they're tied. I really don't like Johnny at all and yet I still think he obviously has had a better career than Abbott. He's had much better placements on the biggest stages - Worlds and the Olympics. I don't think GPF gold is anywhere close to a Worlds medal or top 5 at the Olympics.

vCash
    I don't know how you compare them at this stage.

In skating, worlds and nationals are so important (Euros are also important). For the skaters vying for hall of fame type accolades, 4CC or GPs matter less if at all. GPs and GPFs are basically footnotes because skating is a sport where people are tested most when everybody available is in the game. Johnny did finish 5th, 4th, and 3rd at respective Worlds, with two top six Olympic finishes. This record puts him ahead.

Johnny is the more famous, so he has that subjective aura of being the more accomplished one.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 01-13-2013 at 05:21 AM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    I think Johnny beats Jeremy so far career wise, If Jeremy can land on some major podiums from now until Worlds 2014 (which I think could be his last comp. as an amateur) then he could surpass Johnny.

Results:

Weir:
    - 2 time Olympian(5th in 2006, 6th in 2010)
    -2008 World Bronze medalist (5th in 2004,4th in 2005,7th in 2006, 8th in 2007) 5 appearances so far.
    -1 4CC appearance (4th in 2002)
    -3 time U.S Champion, 2 U.S Silver meals, 2 Bronze medals.
    -2 GPF Bronze medals (Qualified for the GPF 5 times)
    -11 GP medals (4 gold)
    -Junior world champion

Abbott:
    -1 Time Olympian(9th in 2010)
    -Highest placement at worlds was 5th (11th in 2008 and 2009. 8th in 2012) 4 appearances so far.
    -Two time 4CC bronze medalist.
    -3 time U.S Champion, 3 Pewter medals.
    -1 GPF Gold (Qualified for GPF 3 times)
    -8 GP medals (3 gold)
    -Never competed as a junior internationally.
    Also adding that Abbott has landed a clean quad in competition on 9 different occasions (2008 4CC LP, 2008 Worlds SP, 2008 Worlds LP, 2009 World Team Trophy LP, 2009 Skate Canada LP, 2010 Nationals LP, 2011 GPF LP, 2012 Nationals LP, & 2012 Worlds LP) while Weir never landed a clean quad in competition. It is true that Jeremy was/is attempting much more difficult technical content and transition/choreographic content in his programs than Johnny ever did.

Title-less
    vCash
    Johnny has a far better career as of this point, and not just because of medals. He had skated reasonably well under enormous pressure in many events even when he didn't medal (5th at 2004 worlds which was his debut worlds, top six at 2 Olympics, and no less than 8th at 5 world championships, and last but not least, bronze at 2008 "saving the event", so to speak, for the US team).

Jeremy's big accomplishment was being the first US man to win gpf. But Johnny has a much better track record during his career overall. (And I like Jeremy)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Also adding that Abbott has landed a clean quad in competition on 9 different occasions (2008 4CC LP, 2008 Worlds SP, 2008 Worlds LP, 2009 World Team Trophy LP, 2009 Skate Canada LP, 2010 Nationals LP, 2011 GPF LP, 2012 Nationals LP, & 2012 Worlds LP) while Weir never landed a clean quad in competition. It is true that Jeremy was/is attempting much more difficult technical content and transition/choreographic content in his programs than Johnny ever did.
    If you are just counting the number of quads landed in competitions, a few other skaters that never were even close to winning a world medal could surpass Weir. He was really a 6.0 skater, and as long as the COP had not yet fully developed, he did very well. Jeremy has more of the COP choreography- more transitions and footwork (instead of just one footwork sequence which the 6.0 skaters did). However, the career of a skater has to be measured by how he/she did internationally, and Johnny did better (in spite of his discomfort with the COP) than Jeremy did at the two biggest competitions - worlds and Olympics. If Jeremy medals at worlds this year, and wins a top 5 placement at the 2014 Olympics, I will move him ahead of Weir, but as of now, Weir had a more successful career.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    If you are just counting the number of quads landed in competitions, a few other skaters that never were even close to winning a world medal could surpass Weir. He was really a 6.0 skater, and as long as the COP had not yet fully developed, he did very well. Jeremy has more of the COP choreography- more transitions and footwork (instead of just one footwork sequence which the 6.0 skaters did). However, the career of a skater has to be measured by how he/she did internationally, and Johnny did better (in spite of his discomfort with the COP) than Jeremy did at the two biggest competitions - worlds and Olympics. If Jeremy medals at worlds this year, and wins a top 5 placement at the 2014 Olympics, I will move him ahead of Weir, but as of now, Weir had a more successful career.
    Fortunately, not everyone bases the value of a career simply on placements. I much rather prefer to watch Abbott instead of Weir any day. Jeremy's programs are always gems while I've found many of Johnny's programs to be duds. JMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Fortunately, not everyone bases the value of a career simply on placements. I much rather prefer to watch Abbott instead of Weir any day. Jeremy's programs are always gems while I've found many of Johnny's programs to be duds. JMO.
    Since the question was about a career, I had to use the placements. Otherwise you can have a beautiful skater that consistently underperforms when it counts, and in my book that is not the 'better' career if you are comparing him/her with someone with better success on a bigger stage. If you are comparing exhibitions or pros, that criterion won't work, but if we are comparing eligible skating, I treat it like a sport, where winning matters. I loved Johnny's 6.0 programs. They were lyrical, with great basic skating skills. I enjoy Jeremy's skating, but I don't like to see him fall all over the place at worlds.

vCash
    I vastly prefer to watch Jeremy Abbott. I can't stand Johnny Weir. And as I said before, I still think Johnny has had a much, much better career in the skating world. He had better placements, he's much more famous, and his legacy is going to amount to much more than Abbott's. Abbott has been a huge disappointment, career-wise, IMO.

Title-less
    vCash
    The question is about who has a better career. So my vote is for Weir.
    If the question is who I like or who is a more complete skater, then my answer will be different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    and his legacy is going to amount to much more than Abbott's.
    LOL neither of them will have any kind of "legacy" in the sport.

vCash
    Condescending as always, judgejudy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    LOL neither of them will have any kind of "legacy" in the sport.
    You strike me as such a narrow minded person.

I disagree that Weir will leave more of a legacy. He has more medals and also more fame because of his off-ice persona, but IMO Abbott's body of work is about 1023687423945 times more interesting and inspiring. His artistic achievement is HUGE and comparable by only a few.

BTW, if we are just counting medals and placements, why do we even need a poll like this to begin with? Can't someone just count everything up and let us know?
    Last edited by shine; 01-13-2013 at 06:33 AM.

vCash
    Really a toss up. I would much rather the Grand Prix final title than a World bronze since it is an actual big title, which Johnny never came close to winning one of. Both have 3 U.S Titles but Jeremy has a good chance to add to that, while Johnny obviously is done. Virtually same # of grand prix wins. Johnny much better World and Olympic placings overall, even if almost always out of the medals as well. I would say Jeremy by a bit, but it really is a toss up. It is not like comparing Lysacek to either one where Evan would be way ahead of the other two, they are at the same level really. If it was who is the better skater ignoring achievements I would say Jeremy hands down.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast