Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Oscar Nominations

Interesting set of nominees and that the director of Les Miserables was passed over. Biggest darkhorse category IMO is Best Actress. Could Jennifer Lawrence or Jessica Chastain be the preferred choice? Loved Seth McFarlane's jokes. Such great Irreverence

Blergh
    vCash
    This is might be the first time that the only two directors who were nominated for the Director's Guild Awards carried over to Oscar nominations (Lee and Spielberg). Usually, they have at least 4 directors carry over and sometimes 3. No Bigelow and Affleck were huge surprises as was the strong showing for Beasts of the Southern Wild. Hooper's lack of nomination for Les Miserables despite a DGA nod isn't as surprising. No Marion Cotillard who had a slew of prior nominations coming into Oscar is sort of a surprise as well. Maybe with Rivas getting in, the Academy couldn't have two French-speaking actresses in French-speaking roles nominated.

vCash
    Happy for Speilberg but bummed for Affleck.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Happy for Speilberg but bummed for Affleck.
    I never thought I'd say this, but Affleck wuzrobbed. Argo was one of the best movies I've seen recently, not just this year. Happy Alan Arkin got nominated, at least.

vCash
    Tom Hooper not getting a nomination doesn't shock me, Les Mis wasn't really a a great film. Affleck and Bigelow not being nominated absolutely shocks me, I thought they would be locks. Marion Cotillard not being nominated kind of stinks, I rather enjoy her. So glad for War Witch (Rebelle) They did absolutely great!
    Kyle

Blergh
    vCash
    I think Lincoln is clearly the front-runner for the Oscar now with Argo and Zero Dark Thirty being snubbed for Best Director. Life of Pi may upset, but Harvey Weinstein is backing Silver Linings Playbook and managed to get it nominated for the major awards (including all four acting categories - the first movie to do that since Reds in 1980). I have a feeling that if the Academy isn't feeling Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook may upset and win like Crash did years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think Lincoln is clearly the front-runner for the Oscar now with Argo and Zero Dark Thirty being snubbed for Best Director. Life of Pi may upset, but Harvey Weinstein is backing Silver Linings Playbook and managed to get it nominated for the major awards (including all four acting categories - the first movie to do that since Reds in 1980). I have a feeling that if the Academy isn't feeling Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook may upset and win like Crash did years ago.
    Please don't remind me about Crash, I'm still bitter about that one...
    Kyle

vCash
    Hooper gets a DGA nod but not an Oscar one!? How often does something like that happen?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    If you start a discussion thread on Oscar nominations, it's helpful to post a link to said nominations.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1532667.story
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Pardon, but this is a better link - straight for the source - with links to previous noms etc - http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Hooper gets a DGA nod but not an Oscar one!? How often does something like that happen?
    There's usually at least one director that receives a Best Director nod from the DGA but not the Academy. However, to have three of them be different is very unusual. Bigelow and Affleck also received DGA nominations (and Golden Globes, BAFTA, and Broadcast Film Critics) with no Oscar nod.

Last year, David Fincher was nominated for Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, but his Oscar nomination ended going to Terrance Mallick for the Tree of Life.
    Two years ago, the Coen Brothers controversially took Christopher Nolan's Best Director nomination. IMO, they deserved to as I thought Inception was way overrated.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Thanks, that one is definitely better.

I haven't seen many of the movies, but am glad to see Skyfall got a nod for cinematography.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    This makes Quvenzhané Wallis the youngest Best Actress nominee in history, right? I'm pretty sure the girl from Whale Rider held the record before, but she was 13, if I remember correctly?

I think, in that field, it is likely to go to either Jessica or Jennifer, though Watts could spoil. I think this is the 2nd nomination for all three as well, though Naomi might get the nod for having been both under-appreciated through the last decade (IMO) and having longevity. I really hope Jennifer wins though I just love her.

Supporting Actor is just packed. Holy crap.

vCash
    More amazed at the omissions than the noms.
    Last edited by DarrellH; 01-10-2013 at 02:41 PM.

vCash
    Did they cut back on the movies this year? Haven't they been nominating 10 the last few years?

vCash
    I think they only nominated 10 for one or two years, then changed it to an non-specific amount where each nominee had to get a certain number of votes to be included.

Blergh
    vCash
    michiruwater answered it before me.

BTW, sorry but I HATED Seth McFarlene's "humor" during the nomination presentation. I felt it was out-of-place and almost inappropriate. Yeah, I know that's his style, but I thought it was disrespectful for the occasion. Maybe it's his smugness I don't like. He looks like his ego is out of control.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-10-2013 at 02:56 PM.

vCash
    Ahh, I knew it was 10 for a while. I am relieved to know I am not having a senior moment . This method is better. When they nominate 10 films, some of them really should not be in the mix.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    The snub of Affleck and Bigelow is truly surprising. I guess I need to see "Beasts of the Southern Wild" now.

"Lincoln," as expected, led the pack with 12 nominations.

Whee for "Life of Pi" with 11 nods and 8 for "Silver Linings Playbook"! These were my two favorite movies of the last year, I think.

The Academy definitely not feeling the love for "ZD30" or "Django" apparently.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Oscar Nominations

The actress category has the youngest ever nominee and the oldest ever nominee!

I thought Zero Dark Thirty was a lock for Best Picture but now I'm not so sure.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast