vCash

Bathroom remodel: Ceramic tile or Travertine???

Because of builder error which has led to leaks and damaged our floor, Mr. Twizz and I are forced to gut our master bathroom and rebuild.

We have just begun our research and wanted some opinions. Does anyone have experience with Travertine tiles throughout their bathroom? We were thinking of using it for the floor, half way up the wall, around the tub, on top of the vanity and in the shower- walls and floor.

We did some research, and found mixed reviews. Is ceramic tile a better option? Love the look of the Travertine, but wonder about maintenance, mold, staining, etc.

Help please!!!

vCash
    We remodeled the bathroom in 2002, so I don't remember the name of the tile, but it was ceramic, had a "cloud" pattern in it (it isn't a solid color) and it is ADA rated for slip resistant. We also put this tile by the doors. It's pretty, durable and safe. So besides looks, if it's going to be on the floor where there is water, make sure you won't be falling all over the place!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I've had travertine in the past and found the maintenance to be burdensome. It will stain and some bathroom products are too harsh so you have to buy special stuff. I like porcelain tile but glass or ceramic comes close. Glass is way easier for maintenance but is more likely to crack or break, ceramic has a lot of variety as far as color and size. If you get porcelain tile that is the same color all the way through (not all of it is) then you don't have to worry about chipping it but that's more important in a kitchen than a bathroom, IMO.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I would go to a store like Home Depot and check out the various tiles and marbles in person. I liked the LOOK of Travertine when I was in the store, but feeling the surface and the weight (an issue with my flooring subsurface) I realized that was not going to be the best choice from a maintenance standpoint. And there were more options than I thought. Even if you don't buy it from the big store yourself and go through a contractors, I find it's best to see it all in person before deciding or just taking your contractor's word.

And like suep1963 said, make sure anything for the floor is slip-resistant!