Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Worker reprimanded for gassy issue

MSNBC article.

A federal worker was repreminded after co-workers complained of his daily flatulences. Apparently he had about 60 incidents in a 3 months period, or about 9 per day. The average person supposedly passes gas 14 times per day, so he wasn't out of the normal range, but the smell from his gas really bothered the co-workers around him and created a 'hostile' working environment.

Several of the employee's coworkers in the "module," or work area, had complained to management about the smell. A supervisor, Deputy Division Director and a Module Manager all spoke with the employee on separate occasions about his need to control his flatulence.

"You said that you would try to pass gas and that you would turn your fan on when it happens," the Module Manager wrote of a discussion that took place on May 18, 2012. "I explained to you that turning on the fan would cause the smell to spread and worsen the air quality in the module."
    Well he should've turn the fan in the direction away from his co-workers. Duh!

I feel bad for the guy if he has an uncontrollable condition. From the article it doesn't look like he has a valid excuse, or he didn't try very hard to control it though. He should at least alter his diet, ie no eggs, dairy, ..., to reduce or eliminate the smell at least.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    So glad I have my own office at work. Away from the gas, BO, heavy perfume and cigarette smoke smell.

A friend of mine had to have her own bedroom because her boyfriend's gas was so bad while he slept. She said he was never like that when they first met.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I hope this person doesn't have an undiagnosed GI problem. Perhaps he suffers from constipation and needs to alter his diet (lots of fluids and fiber, probiotics).
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I hope this person doesn't have an undiagnosed GI problem. Perhaps he suffers from constipation and needs to alter his diet (lots of fluids and fiber, probiotics).
    While I feel for the guy, it must be awful for those around him. What are they supposed to do - clothespin their noses everyday?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    The gass issue could be a sign of some as yet to be diagnosed health problem. He should see a doctor.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    While I feel for the guy, it must be awful for those around him. What are they supposed to do - clothespin their noses everyday?
    Oh absolutely. It must be awful for them. Hope none of the co-workers is pregnant, makes smells so much worse.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Banned Member
    vCash
    Hmm, is it THAT hard to hold in a fart until you can get to the restroom or in an isolated place? Or to figure out what foods make you gassy and avoid them? Sure it could be some sort of medical condition, but not very bloody likely. It's like a coworker who comes in with severe BO. Figure out how not to smell so badly, or just always have a can of Febreze on your desk. I personally feel much more badly for those with severe BO, because it usually isn't a hygeine thing, but a food or natural thing like overactive sweat glands. Someone can hold in a fart (I wouldn't know because I've never farted before.... hehe). It just seems like someone is being passive aggressive and disrespectful. Oh my. Those poor coworkers. And I'm LOL thinking of the next worker's 'disability' as defined by the AWDA: "Uncontrollable menacing farting in front of your coworkers". Not buying this one. I'd have to see one hell of a doc's note saying "Due to a depressingly sloppy and loose anal sphincter, my patient cannot abide by even one half of one pound of pressure in his lower intestines, which will cause him to fart uncontrollably...". Really not getting this one. Is this now going to be a disability??? There has to be more to this.
    Last edited by Alex Forrest; 01-12-2013 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    You can't always hold it in. Sometimes the pressure to release is so great that it makes it extremely uncomfortable not to just do it, otherwise it builds up inside the gut and leads to very uncomfortable bloating; The gas has to go somewhere !

I agree that the farting worker should've stepped out into the hallway or make a bathroom break every time he has to do it, especially when there's an odor issue, althought it would look odd to be getting up so often daily from his cube; Still, it would've been better than subjecting the other co-workers to the smell.

I think it's possible to have some sort of irritable bowl syndrome that causes excessive farting.
    Last edited by orbitz; 01-12-2013 at 01:55 PM.

vCash
    Passing gas that often is abnormal. It definitely sounds like a medical problem, possibly a serious one. And if it's a medical problem, it can be very hard to hold it in. The employee was irresponsible for not getting it examined. He's a federal employee, so chances are he has health coverage.

Are employers allowed to require workers to get a medical examination if their symptoms cause concern in the workplace?

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    If it's a medical condition, maybe he can have the problem treated by a doctor.

But... sometimes there are people out there that fart just to fart. Alpha male gonna make ya'll smell his farts whether ya like it or not.

Hopefully he's not that disgusting and doing it on purpose. Co-workers shouldn't have to live with that.

vCash
    If they were to make a made-for-tv "Movie Of The Week" about this, I betcha two tickets to the Superbowl Bill Murray would be cast in the lead role.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    If they were to make a made-for-tv "Movie Of The Week" about this, I betcha two tickets to the Superbowl Bill Murray would be cast in the lead role.
    I bet you just couldn't spell Zach Galifianakis.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I knew someone (via online, not a personal friend) who had a medical issue where if he ate certain foods, he'd have peeling-paint-off-the-wall farts. He refused not to eat these foods and eventually got fired.

I feel for people who have medical issues that cause them to have more gas and smellier gas than normal but I think you also have to take responsibility for your own health and actions. Many times gas can be controlled via diet and I think someone with frequent, smelly farts owes it to the people around him to figure out what their triggers are. I know that's the approach I take and I don't even have a particular problem. I just don't like to be gassy in public, if I can at all help it.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Oh and I forgot to say that apparently they sell products to deal with the smell and, if I was at the point of being talked to at work, you can bet I'd be out buying them in a heartbeat.

Products like these:

http://under-tec.com

and these:

http://www.fireflybuys.com/p-695-jus...FayPPAodR38Aew

Before I learned out products like these, I was more sympathetic to the farters because I figured it must be something they just can't do anything about, but now I realize they do have some recourse even if they have a really bad issue.

vCash
    MacMadame your coworker was actually fired for excess gas? What excuse for the termination was given to this person?
    The original person mentioned in the article sounds like he has a mental thing about just doing it and putting the fan on (& not trying to cover odor with spray/drops), and a physical thing that lets him have that much gas explosion.
    I don't know what the docs would do for him other than a diet change, but who can verify if he really made those changes or didn't but is just saying the diet did not help.
    When you get older it can be almost impossible to even know you have a gas attack coming on let alone stop it. (Not saying that is the SSA worker's case).
    Last edited by smileyskate; 01-13-2013 at 03:23 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Why Bill Murray? I don't think he has a reputation of doing tv movies. Did he do movies about farting before?

vCash
    I feel bad for the guy. But yea, it seems that he should see a doctor & look at his diet.

vCash
    His reprimand was rescinded though, right? I thought when senior managers reviewed the file, the employee was cleared to go back to work. That must be frustrating for the coworkers. I bet if the senior managers had to spend a few days with this employee, they would have been more creative than just rescinding the reprimand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    His reprimand was rescinded though, right? I thought when senior managers reviewed the file, the employee was cleared to go back to work. That must be frustrating for the coworkers. bet if the senior managers had to spend a few days with this employee, they would have been more creative than just rescinding the reprimand.
    Word!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I'm not so sure it's that easy to fire someone for farting, especially a federal employee. If indeed it is, I am lobbying for the termination of the woman at work who smells like a freshly opened crypt, routinely shuns both bra and shoes, and the defiant old girls who refuse to stop wearing the noxious funk from Bath and Body works, namely the vomitous Sweat Pea, and the caustic, smells like a body dissolving in quick lime pleasure called Cotton Blossom. One really can't totally control flatulence, but they can certainly chose to wear shoes, support undergarmants, and not douse themselves in cheap perfumes. Give me a farter over noxious perfumes, advanced periodontal disease mixed in with stale smoke and foot fungus any day

I think the guy who would play the farter in a made for TV movie would come down to the rotund guy from King of Queens, or Jim Belushi. .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast