Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Send-Off Shows in Wheaton, MD; Newark, DE; Colorado Springs, CO; others?

Here are the public send-off shows I know about (in addition to the Detroit SC's which has its own thread):

Wheaton Ice Skating Academy: http://www.wisa.us/
    Wheaton Ice Arena's Winter Ice Show
    Saturday January 12, 2013
    6:15 - 8:15pm
    Wheaton Ice Arena
    11717 Orebaugh Avenue
    Wheaton, MD 20902

The show is open to the public. Admission is free.
    2013 U.S. Nationals skaters include: Junior & JGP dance teams Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter, Elliana Pogrebinsky/Ross Gudis, and Whitney Miller/Kyle MacMillan; Danielle & Alexander Gamelin (Senior Dance); Gigi & Luca Becker (Novice Dance); Washington FSC's singles skaters Madison Vinci, Brianna Laxson, Maria Yang (Jr. Ladies) and Oleksiy Melnyk (Novice Men); Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville & Gwen Sletten/Elliot Verburg (Intermediate Dance); Caroline & Gordon Green (Juvenile Dance). All the dance teams train at the Wheaton Ice Skating Academy.

University of Delaware's show in Newark, DE: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2013/dec/...ar-121712.html
    Featured skaters include Caitlin Belt and Michael Johnson, the 2013 Eastern Sectional pewter medalists in junior pairs and 2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games team members; Clara Peters of Ireland, 2012 international and world team member; and Haley Dunne, 2013 Eastern Sectional ladies champion and 2013 National Team member.

Tickets cost $10 for adults, $7 for senior adults and $5 for children 12 and younger.
    The Broadmoor Skating Club's weekly Friday "Fire & Ice" show tonight, 6:30-8:30 pm in the NHL Rink of the Colorado Springs World Arena, should feature Nationals-bound skaters/teams.
    ETA info I've received on tonight's lineup - I believe admission is free for the public:

Ashlyn Gaughan & Cody Lithco (Novice Free Dance)
    Tori Patsis & Joe Johnson (Novice Free Dance)
    Lauren Leonesio & Quinn Chambers (Novice Free Dance)
    ---
    Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage (Junior Pairs FS)
    Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim (Senior Pairs FS)
    Britney Simpson & Matt Blackmer (Junior Pairs FS)
    ---
    Morgan Bell (Senior Ladies SP)
    Alexe Gilles, CAN (Senior Ladies SP)
    Angela Wang (Senior Ladies SP)
    Agnes Zawadzki (Senior Ladies FS)
    Mariah Bell (Junior Ladies SP)
    Zoe Gong, CAN (Novice Ladies FS)
    Anastasia Kortjohn (Int. Ladies FS)
    ---
    Max Aaron (Senior Men SP)
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh (Senior Men SP)
    Alex Johnson (Senior Men SP)
    Joshua Farris (Senior Men SP)
    Lukas Kaugars (Junior Men SP)
    Luke West (Novice Men FS)

If anyone else would like to contribute reports on/impressions from these shows or have information on any others, please share!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-12-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: to add Broadmoor SC lineup for tonight's show
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Unfortunately, I only learned about this show after the fact:
    Mark your calendars for the 4th annual "Celebration of Bay Area Figure Skating" outdoor ice show at Union Square, which will be held on Wednesday January 9 from 6PM to 7:30PM. The show is sponsored by SCSF, sanctioned by US Figure Skating, and directed by Paige Scott, with free admission to the public.
    Photo album on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=fa7b7cf5b0
    Nationals-bound pictured: Rudy Galindo, Polina Edmunds and Karen Chen (Junior Ladies), Madeline Heritage/Nathaniel Fast (Junior Dance), Cali Fujimoto/Nick Barsi-Rhyne (Junior Pairs), Sarah Feng/Anthony Ponomarenko (Novice Dance), Albert Zeng (Novice Men).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    If anyone lives near Ellenton, Florida, Felicia Zhang tweeted today:
    Great day to end a great week! But wait, one more program for tomorrow for #NationalSkatingMonth ... come by at 3:30pm to watch!
    Zhang/Nate Bartholomay, Lindsay Davis/Mark Ladwig, and Tarah Kayne/Daniel O'Shea are the 3 Senior pair teams going to U.S. Nationals along with Grace Knoop/Noah Chinault in Novice Pairs. Stacey Kemp/David King (GBR) are going to Europeans in Zagreb.

vCash
    I'm going to the Wheaton show tonight and will probably have something up tonight or tomorrow. I'll also be putting up some interviews as well!

vCash
    Thanks, icemusings, and have fun!

ETA: I've started a thread in the 2013 U.S. Nationals forum for skater articles & interviews to be posted: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t-previews-etc
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-12-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: To add link

vCash
    Mirai Nagasu tweeted:
    "If anyone in LA wants to do something fun while supporting the Pasadena FSC national competitors join us for Skate Night Fundraiser"

Publicity Flyer: http://www.pasadenafsc.com/downloads...fundraiser.pdf
    Saturday, Jan. 12 from 6:30-10pm at the Pasadena Ice Skating Center
    Ticket info: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/306403

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Figures, im sick as a dog today and can't leave the house
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    The Wheaton send-off show tonight was MOBBED. Lots of people and kids came to watch. Standing room only was not an exaggeration.

The 3 junior dance teams and the Gamelins all performed both short and free dances, except Parsons and Parsons. I saw Michael Parsons standing by the audience stand on a crutch, left leg (I think?) in a cast. Poor thing. Others performing including a bunch of extremely cute novice and intermediate ice dancers and junior ladies Brianna Laxson and Maria Yang. I didn't see Madison Vinci.

McNamara & Carpenter's free dance is rapidly becoming my third favorite dance of this season. They have a whimsical, fluid quality that is not common to see even in older skaters.

Eliana Gropman & Ian Somerville (intermediate dance) are pretty awesome, as little as they are. Gigi and Luca Becker (novice dance) did not perform.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 01-13-2013 at 03:44 AM.

vCash
    Here's my review of the Wheaton show: http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2013/...-club.html?m=1

I believe that Michael Parsons injured his right foot. Madison Vinci is ok and will be at nationals. Not sure why the Beckers didn't perform. Oleksiy Melnyk also performed well.

vCash
    We attended the University of Delaware Send Off show last night. While it didn't have the "star power" of the last few years (Kimmie, Denkova & Staviski, Gregory & Petukhov, Navarro & Bommentre, Tanith & Ben). it was very enjoyable. Haley Dunne skated twice (I remember she was a junior lady two years ago, now she is a senior lady, does anyone remember if she was a senior lady last season?). She looked good & ready for Nats. Clara Peters (who represents Ireland) was delightful to see again. The biggest surprise for us was to see Emmanuel Savary back! The first time we attended the UDEL show was circa 2005/2006, when he was tiny & about 6 years old. He has grown so tall, & is now a senior level competitor. Unfortunately he was injured this season, and won't be competing @ Nationals. He kept his free skate from last season, selections from "The Lion King" (including my favorite instrumental parts - Shadowlands and He Lives in You). I hope he'll be back competitively next season! In addition we got to talk to Ron Luddington, Tiffany Scott, & Philip Duhlebohn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    We attended the University of Delaware Send Off show last night. While it didn't have the "star power" of the last few years (Kimmie, Denkova & Staviski, Gregory & Petukhov, Navarro & Bommentre, Tanith & Ben). it was very enjoyable. Haley Dunne skated twice (I remember she was a junior lady two years ago, now she is a senior lady, does anyone remember if she was a senior lady last season?). She looked good & ready for Nats. Clara Peters (who represents Ireland) was delightful to see again. The biggest surprise for us was to see Emmanuel Savary back! The first time we attended the UDEL show was circa 2005/2006, when he was tiny & about 6 years old. He has grown so tall, & is now a senior level competitor. Unfortunately he was injured this season, and won't be competing @ Nationals. He kept his free skate from last season, selections from "The Lion King" (including my favorite instrumental parts - Shadowlands and He Lives in You). I hope he'll be back competitively next season! In addition we got to talk to Ron Luddington, Tiffany Scott, & Philip Duhlebohn.
    I don't have much to add, but my mom and I also attended the UD show last night and while it didn't have the "star power," we really enjoyed it. Haley Dunne looked great and I hope she does well at Nationals. It was great to see Emmanuel Savary! I loved his program and hope to see him competing again soon. I also really enjoyed some of the younger skaters as well, especially Eric Sjoberg--I'd like to see him do well in intermediate. Overall though it was really an enjoyable show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    The Wheaton send-off show tonight was MOBBED. Lots of people and kids came to watch. Standing room only was not an exaggeration.

The 3 junior dance teams and the Gamelins all performed both short and free dances, except Parsons and Parsons. I saw Michael Parsons standing by the audience stand on a crutch, left leg (I think?) in a cast. Poor thing. Others performing including a bunch of extremely cute novice and intermediate ice dancers and junior ladies Brianna Laxson and Maria Yang. I didn't see Madison Vinci.

McNamara & Carpenter's free dance is rapidly becoming my third favorite dance of this season. They have a whimsical, fluid quality that is not common to see even in older skaters.

Eliana Gropman & Ian Somerville (intermediate dance) are pretty awesome, as little as they are. Gigi and Luca Becker (novice dance) did not perform.
    I can't wait for the Jr. dance competition at Nats!! (though I am that Parsons/Parsons are injured.)
    Love all of the reports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I don't have much to add, but my mom and I also attended the UD show last night and while it didn't have the "star power," we really enjoyed it. Haley Dunne looked great and I hope she does well at Nationals. It was great to see Emmanuel Savary! I loved his program and hope to see him competing again soon. I also really enjoyed some of the younger skaters as well, especially Eric Sjoberg--I'd like to see him do well in intermediate. Overall though it was really an enjoyable show.

Eric was very impressive. Hope he does well @ Nats. Also really liked Emily Boas!

vCash
    The Broadmoor Skating Club's weekly Friday "Fire & Ice" show tonight, 6:30-8:30 pm in the NHL Rink of the Colorado Springs World Arena, should feature Nationals-bound skaters/teams.
    ETA info I've received on tonight's lineup - I believe admission is free for the public:
    Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage (Junior Pairs FS)
    Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim (Senior Pairs FS)
    Britney Simpson & Matt Blackmer (Junior Pairs FS)
    Agnes Zawadzki (Senior Ladies FS)
    Max Aaron (Senior Men SP)
    Armin Mahbanoozadeh (Senior Men SP)
    Joshua Farris (Senior Men SP)
    The above Broadmoor SC skaters are mentioned in the latest Inside Edge blog on send-off shows:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Link to the separate GSD thread with article on the SC of Boston send-off, including photos: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...cle-amp-photos

Belated THANKS to Jun Y & icemusings for reporting about the Wheaton show and to paskatefan & Sarah for posting about the UDel show.

Some photos from the Wheaton show: http://wheaton-md.patch.com/articles...photo-12938632
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-17-2013 at 08:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    The Cannuscio teams weren't there? I saw their photos at Boston send off show. Did they move to Boston?

vCash
    Colin McManus and Michael Bramante are both members of the SC of Boston and I believe they and the Cannuscio sisters were invited to perform there. Both teams are currently still training at UDel, AFAIK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    The Cannuscio teams weren't there? I saw their photos at Boston send off show. Did they move to Boston?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Colin McManus and Michael Bramante are both members of the SC of Boston and I believe they and the Cannuscio sisters were invited to perform there. Both teams are currently still training at UDel, AFAIK.
    They were back at UD coaching this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    They were back at UD coaching this week.
    Both Cannuscio sisters (and their partners ) will be skating in a send-off show tomorrow night at 8:30 pm at Ice World in Abingdon, MD (Harford County, north of Baltimore). Here is a flyer posted on the rink website: http://www.iceworld.com/documents/Fi...Exhibition.pdf

The rink's synchro teams will also skate, along with some adult sectional/national competitors.

I wish I could go to this, but Friday nights are hard. Too bad it's not Sat or Sun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post

The Cannuscio teams were acknowledged @ the UDEL show, and wished all the best. It was announced to the audience that they were participating in the SCoB show that day.

I'm curious about the Lorello family. They were training @ UDEL, and am wondering if they are still involved with the UDEL fs program. They didn't skate @ this show.

vCash
    I don't believe that any of them are still skating. They did leave UD AFAIK.

Ian teamed up with Lauri Bonacorsi earlier in the year and they were going to train in Detroit, but he had a back injury, so the team didn't continue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast