Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441

    Skating to Holst's Planet suite

    I went to a concert tonight, where the Phoenix Symphony played the Planet suite by Holst. At the same time they projected on a screen above the orchestra, digital images of the planets, obtained from NASA. It was great. It also made me think of past skates to the Planets.

    I love Usova-Zhulin's skate to 'Mars' at the 1989 world championships
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Fqo...e=results_main

    Babilonia - Gardner had used Mars as part of their 1979 worlds LP, which won them the championship.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261ABYNWBJw

    I was wondering who else had skated to music from Planets, and not just Mars. I think Mao Asada skated to Jupiter, if I remember correct.

    4CC exhibition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsf31viaYlo

    Fumie Suguri skating to Jupiter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI77svgX-qM

    Torville-Dean (skating to Venus)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps_vdkG7Ns4

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    94.500.000 kķlómetrar frį sólinni (og enn frekar frį stjarnfręšilegur lęsi).
    Age
    33
    Posts
    23,074
    vCash
    80943
    Rep Power
    90938
    Lar Lubovitch choreographed The Planets for broadcast on the cable channel A&E in the mid-1990s. Here's an excerpt.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,700
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I *think* I caught this broadcast once, and wish I could see it again. IIRC, Brian Orser skated in it?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I *think* I caught this broadcast once, and wish I could see it again. IIRC, Brian Orser skated in it?
    You're right, Orser plays "Mercury, the winged messenger". The main characters are played by Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay, and the members of the Canadian National Ballet (among them Sonia Rodriguez, who's Kurt Browning's wife, as "Venus").
    It's fantastic, featuring skating, ballet, synchronized skating and even synchronized swimming (scenes filmed under water).
    I can't watch it on youtube any longer, it's blockes in my country, but I watched it on TV back in '94 (or '95?).

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    You're right, Orser plays "Mercury, the winged messenger". The main characters are played by Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay, and the members of the Canadian National Ballet (among them Sonia Rodriguez, who's Kurt Browning's wife, as "Venus").
    It's fantastic, featuring skating, ballet, synchronized skating and even synchronized swimming (scenes filmed under water).
    I can't watch it on youtube any longer, it's blockes in my country, but I watched it on TV back in '94 (or '95?).
    Sounds very interesting. I hope I can find a yt.

    In the meantime, I remember that at the 1988 Olympics there was a 'fours' (2 pairs) exhibition skated to Jupiter, but I can't find the yt link.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    The entire program has been uploaded by this user:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT4FB...jIBig&index=32

    The VHS is readily available at Amazon.

    You can visit FSVids, as well; for that program, and some of the others skated to the music.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Has anyone used the Uranus music? It sounds so familiar that I thought it must have been a FS program sometime, but may be I was just listening to my CD many times.

    The Planet suite could create a really good pairs LP, with Mars to begin and end, and Jupiter in the middle/slow section, OR

    Use Mars for the first 1/3 of the program, and Jupiter rest of the way.

    I also like Mercury and Uranus. There could be so many skatable combinations.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    243
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The Duchesnays skated a special in 1995 - still availabe on tape at amazon

    http://www.amazon.com/Holst-Planets-.../dp/6303365558

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6669
    My one egotistical regret of Jeremy Abbott's career is not his performance at any competition, but that he chose not to continue with Holst/ Tom Dickson program in 2009/2010 season. The change led to a glorious Saint- Saens LP at Nationals, but to me, his first program promised to be epic
    http://youtu.be/KR2hYaYc5KY
    This is complex and yet joyful music, and Jeremy is such a musician, his timing is impeccable even so early in the season at DuPage, and the program allows for freedom, speed and expression. I love Holst's Jupiter, and think the music suits Jeremy to a "t". Oh well... it fun to see that last minute.
    improving my ballad- like lines

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,700
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for all the info on "The Planets" from the mid 1990's. My personal favorite part of the entire audio recording is Jupiter (re: skating - Fumie's program is my favorite program of her, ever, love her costume for it too). A question for the Brits here. Aren't there lyrics for Jupiter that have been incorporated into "I Vow to Thee, My Country?" Beautiful anthem/hymn (not sure what you would call it), but it is very moving music & lyrics.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    paskatefan, here is Mao's very moving performance to "I Vow to Thee, My Country"/Jupiter. introduced by Sasha Cohen:

    Mao ASADA SOI in Tokyo 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCoC_GPwgQ

    and
    Mao Asada 2012 Japan Super Challenge EX Jupiter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmddpKdwiY4

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I went to a concert tonight, where the Phoenix Symphony played the Planet suite by Holst. At the same time they projected on a screen above the orchestra, digital images of the planets, obtained from NASA. It was great. It also made me think of past skates to the Planets.

    I love Usova-Zhulin's skate to 'Mars' at the 1989 world championships
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Fqo...e=results_main


    Babilonia - Gardner had used Mars as part of their 1979 worlds LP, which won them the championship.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=261ABYNWBJw

    I was wondering who else had skated to music from Planets, and not just Mars. I think Mao Asada skated to Jupiter, if I remember correct.

    4CC exhibition:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsf31viaYlo

    Fumie Suguri skating to Jupiter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI77svgX-qM

    Torville-Dean (skating to Venus)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps_vdkG7Ns4
    Thanks, I don't recall ever seeing the Torvill/ Dean showcase program to Venus. It was also great to see Tai & Randy's 1979 U.S. Nationals fp, as it's the Worlds fp that is remembered most.

    Usova and Zhulin are just so fantastic in their debut Worlds performance to Mars. Boy they were a great team who just had the misfortune of competing against perennial winners Klimova/ Ponomarenko (and during a time of very competitive ice dance teams). U/Z should surely have won more than one Worlds.

    Thanks again for reflecting on Holst's Planets.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    paskatefan, here is Mao's very moving performance to "I Vow to Thee, My Country"/Jupiter. introduced by Sasha Cohen:

    Mao ASADA SOI in Tokyo 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCoC_GPwgQ ...


    Ohhh, Mao! Such heartfelt emotion and lovely, lyrical skating. Thanks for posting.


    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    My one egotistical regret of Jeremy Abbott's career is not his performance at any competition, but that he chose not to continue with Holst/ Tom Dickson program in 2009/2010 season. The change led to a glorious Saint- Saens LP at Nationals, but to me, his first program promised to be epic
    http://youtu.be/KR2hYaYc5KY
    This is complex and yet joyful music, and Jeremy is such a musician, his timing is impeccable even so early in the season at DuPage, and the program allows for freedom, speed and expression. I love Holst's Jupiter, and think the music suits Jeremy to a "t". Oh well... it fun to see that last minute.
    Thanks for that clip, even short as it is. I wonder why Jeremy switched to a different free program for 2009-2010? Maybe he should revisit it for the Olympic season?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-13-2013 at 01:13 AM.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,700
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    paskatefan, here is Mao's very moving performance to "I Vow to Thee, My Country"/Jupiter. introduced by Sasha Cohen:

    Mao ASADA SOI in Tokyo 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCoC_GPwgQ

    and
    Mao Asada 2012 Japan Super Challenge EX Jupiter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmddpKdwiY4
    Wow! those were gorgeous! One more question - any idea who's singing "I Vow to Thee My Country" in these performances?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    paskate, thanks for the PM. I could not figure out how to do a reply to a 'visitor message'.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Fantastic thread! thank you!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    One more question - any idea who's singing "I Vow to Thee My Country" in these performances?
    Music : Jupiter - I vow to thee my country by Libera

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,700
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ Thanks!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    Shared by maofan7 in the "1988 World's Retrospective" thread:

    Benning & Johnston and Hough & Ladret - "Fours" Exhibition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpfBn0KmaR8

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Shared by maofan7 in the "1988 World's Retrospective" thread:

    Benning & Johnston and Hough & Ladret - "Fours" Exhibition
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpfBn0KmaR8
    I mentioned this but could not find the link. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •