Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

DOG OWNERS: Recall of pet treats - please read and pass on

There have been reports of dogs getting violently ill and some reports of deaths within hours of eating the treats listed below.

MILO’S KITCHEN® VOLUNTARILY RECALLS CHICKEN JERKY AND CHICKEN GRILLERS HOME-STYLE DOG TREATS
    San Francisco – January 9, 2013 – Milo’s Kitchen® today announced that it is voluntarily recalling its Chicken Jerky and Chicken Grillers home-style dog treats from retailer shelves nationally. No other Milo’s Kitchen® products are affected.

Waggin Train/Canyon Creek Jerky Treat Recall

Nestlé Purina PetCare Company and its wholly owned subsidiary Waggin’ Train, LLC today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing its Waggin’ Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand dog treats sold in the United States until further notice.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    My dog loved, Loved, LOVED those chicken wrapped yams when they came out several years ago. But I had to stop buying her the made-in-China dog treats after reading about all those problems. Both the Milo's Kitchen & the Waggin Train treats are made-in-China, at least the ones I regularly see at the store.

We switched to made in Colorado or USA. Twice the cost, so dogs only get them half as much. But worth it. They also have treats that are like dried sweet potato jerky & they love those.

vCash
    my dog loves the duck jerky from Waggin Train and I've heard the chicken treats have problems but I have not heard anything about the duck jerky.

Quadless
    vCash
    This is like the never ending story.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I no longer buy any dog treats made in China for my dog, there are plenty made in the USA, you just have to look for them.

vCash
    Sure enough: The Waggin Train was cleared from the shelves but Milo's remains on the shelf (at least today.) Thanks for the heads up or I would have purchased Milo's since Waggin Train is kaput. Oh well...my canine companion likes dolphin safe tuna (I don't think she cares about the dolphins but I do.)

vCash
    Ugh, I'm so tired of reading these, I'm going to have to start making treats for my dog instead of buying them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Sure enough: The Waggin Train was cleared from the shelves but Milo's remains on the shelf (at least today.) Thanks for the heads up or I would have purchased Milo's since Waggin Train is kaput. Oh well...my canine companion likes dolphin safe tuna (I don't think she cares about the dolphins but I do.)

Only the Milo products made with chicken were recalled but if those are still on the shelf, you may want to mention it to the manager, the recall came from the manufacturer and some stores only rely on FDA recall notices. I found the treats on the shelves at Walgreen's and CVS, told the managers about the recall and then and stood in the aisle until they were removed.

vCash
    I make my own dog treats, it's easy. The problem with USA made treats is that IN THE PAST (meaning I don't know if this still happens) ingredients from China were used. When this happens it does not have to be listed on the label because it was made in the USA.

vCash

DOG OWNERS: Recall of pet treats - please read and pass on

Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    I no longer buy any dog treats made in China for my dog, there are plenty made in the USA, you just have to look for them.
    This is my rule too. And if I can't find the orgin it stays in the store.

I am the world's worst baker sp Caseu doesn't want me to make treats.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    This is my rule too. And if I can't find the orgin it stays in the store.
    The problem with so many of them is that the "Made in China" notation is in EXTREMELY small type (sometimes is looks like not more than 2 pts type size) on the package. It is very easy to miss, so your rule is a good one.

We have tried to become less reliant on the chicken or beef jerkey & give more biscuits, & that seems to be working out well. These are the new favorites of my dog & my daughter's dog:

Fruitables: http://fruitablespetfood.com/fruitables_products.html

vCash
    I give my dogs chunks of apple, carrots or frozen banana instead of store bought treats. They love them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    I make my own dog treats, it's easy. The problem with USA made treats is that IN THE PAST (meaning I don't know if this still happens) ingredients from China were used. When this happens it does not have to be listed on the label because it was made in the USA.
    What sort of ingredients do you use?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I give my dogs chunks of apple, carrots or frozen banana instead of store bought treats. They love them.
    My dog likes sugar snap peas.

vCash
    I'm going to buy the ingredients and see of my little hot dog (he's a miniature dachshund) likes this dog treat recipe.

vCash
    Try these products. Made in the U.S.A. with no ingredients from China. Plant meets same and sometimes higher safety standards as those making food for humans:

http://www.naturapet.com/

Under the "about" tab, you can find on the drop-down menu a section that tells about their manufacturing and food safety.

vCash
    http://www.examiner.com/article/puri...ion_object_map

Purina's Beneful dog food killing dogs nationwide; No recall issued by FDA (Photos)
    www.examiner.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Only the Milo products made with chicken were recalled but if those are still on the shelf, you may want to mention it to the manager, the recall came from the manufacturer and some stores only rely on FDA recall notices. I found the treats on the shelves at Walgreen's and CVS, told the managers about the recall and then and stood in the aisle until they were removed.
    I went back and now the Milo beef products are there but the chicken products have been removed.

vCash
    IMS Trading Corp today announced it is voluntarily withdrawing its Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Treat products sold in the United States until further notice

The Company is taking this action after learning this week that the New York State Department of Agriculture & Markets (NYSDAM) found trace amounts of antibiotic residue in samples of Cadet brand Chicken Jerky Treat products. These antibiotics are approved for use in poultry in China and other major countries, including European Union member states, but are not among those approved in the U.S. *Cadet Brand Chicken Jerky Treat products are safe to feed as directed and have not been linked to ANY illnesses in dogs or humans. However, due to regulatory inconsistencies among countries, the presence of antibiotic residue is technically considered an adulteration in the United States.

Just came from PetGood in New Jersey, all Cadet recalled treats still on shelves, manager told me recall wasn't valid in New Jersey - trying to contact corporate headquarters but no contact info on website. Recall was nationwide but manager refused to listen to me when I told her.

vCash
    Thank you all for the tips and the links. It is getting where I just don't know what to feed my baby.
    She has been eating Kibbles and Bits, Small Size for years and I have seen no problems. (knock on wood)
    And she has not had any trouble with her treats, which right at this moment I forget the name of but will check if they come from Usa. Has anyone heard of any trouble with this brand?

I have also been giving her small amounts of Little Champions Senior mixed in with her dry because she is 10 and a half years old and needs senior food and soft food is easier for her to chew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast