Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Legends of Figure skating predicted who will be the Olympic Men's champion in Sochi

    Very interesting Japanese video, the Stars on Ice casts predicted who will be the Olympic Champion in Sochi.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6AR...layer_embedded

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    452
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the link lala!

    They were asked to make the same prediction about the Ladies

    http://youtu.be/QKHxPTEY8fg

    I must agree with Irina though: it's way too early. Things have already changed quite a bit since the beginning of the season, or even between the GPs and the GPF, so who knows where we'll stand in one year!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    Thanks for the link lala!

    They were asked to make the same prediction about the Ladies

    http://youtu.be/QKHxPTEY8fg

    I must agree with Irina though: it's way too early. Things have already changed quite a bit since the beginning of the season, or even between the GPs and the GPF, so who knows where we'll stand in one year!
    Yes it's too early, I think Yuzu will be the protagonist )

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,815
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Very interesting Japanese video, the Stars on Ice casts predicted who will be the Olympic Champion in Sochi.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6AR...layer_embedded
    Cool! What did Gordeeva and Buttle say?
    And who was the French guy?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,943
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Cool! What did Gordeeva and Buttle say?
    And who was the French guy?
    Really don't you know??? The french guy is P. Candeloro.

    Buttle : Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu
    Gordeyeva :Takahashi or Plushenko, Chan, Hanyu

    In total:
    1. Takahashi - 3 points
    1. Plushenko - 3 points
    3. Chan - 2 points

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Candeloro is difficult to recognize when he's got his shirt on.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    With Daisuke-san
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,714
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They should ask Paul the octopus

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimtSbwKsoQ

    Nice to see some fair and balance reporting by the Japanese Press as usual


    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Candeloro is difficult to recognize when he's got his shirt on.
    Wait.. are there some other pictures I am not aware of? Do tell ...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    9,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33791
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    They should ask Paul the octopus
    Or Nate Silver.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    1 mile from Ice Rink
    Posts
    2,978
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    2486
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimtSbwKsoQ

    Nice to see some fair and balance reporting by the Japanese Press as usual
    I'm not surprised at all. IIRC, after the Vancouver Olympics, a Japanese show guest or host asked a former skater "Every time in practice report It showed Yuna's fall again and again, But she didn't fall in competitions. Why Yuna didn't fall in competitions as the film showed?"
    The former skater and current figure skating commentator replied "It's because TV report just showed Yuna's fall *only*."

    OTOH, I'm a bit surprised at Mai's comments at first. But later I thought Mai and show hosts really don't know how to count the scores in Figure Skating as of now - I mean the changed rules. What would be their answer, if the question was "Do you know how a skater could get 117 high points with 3 Triples, 3 Doubles and a Single in Free Skating?"
    I bet the answer would be "Shoujiki, Wakaranai." or "In all honesty, I don't know."

    Back to the topic. ITA with Buttle!!!
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 01-14-2013 at 04:34 AM.
    This too will pass away.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Or Nate Silver.
    I'd be curious to see/hear Nate Silver's statistical viewpoint on figure skating. It's just such a subjective sport sometimes; it's not like his baseball algorithm.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    I too think it's waaaaaaaaayyy to early to make any accurate predictions. Fall of 2013 will be the time to do it. With that said...

    Shocked to see that Johnny Weir actually answered that question. I thought that he was still thinking about making a run for Sochi. Guess not.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Wait.. are there some other pictures I am not aware of? Do tell ...
    What a sheltered life you have led!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFRZma6--xY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlMFcRNheik
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...toPCsFak#t=65s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtc_7UTeUE

    Rumor has it that he did an exhibition once while fully clothed.
    I don't think it's on Youtube, though.

    Even so, Candeloro usually wore more clothes than KVDP sometimes did.

    This, of course, explains the origin of the term "exhibition."

  14. #14

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,550
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2947
    Quite interesting to see nobody even mentionned Brian

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    Quite interesting to see nobody even mentionned Brian
    Brian at best has an outside shot at bronze IMO, and he'd need help from others to even manage that. He is definitely not a contender for OGM at this point. We saw at Worlds last year, skating out of his skin, he was 4th, and 5th in the FS, well behind Hanyu in total points despite Yuzu's poor SP.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pimtSbwKsoQ

    Nice to see some fair and balance reporting by the Japanese Press as usual


    Panel : She came back!
    (2010 Vancouver Olympics gold medalist Yuna Kim. Olympic queen had taken a long break for 20 months and just came back)
    (2012.12 NRW Trophy - She made mistakes and fell, but no problem.. She set the new record with Yuna Kim qualities. How long this mysterious strongness will continue? )

    Panel : How does Yuna get such a high score?
    Mai : To be honest, I have no idea how she gets such a high score.
    Panel : You have no idea?
    Mai : I don't know. I had competed as a skater for a long time, but why...Maybe judges like her?(Mai)
    Panel : Oh, you think so? What do you think about that?
    Mai : I'd like to say 'no comment' about this issue.

    http://youtu.be/QKHxPTEY8fg
    (After the prediction of gold medalist for Sochi Olympics)

    Panel 1 : Legends could've seen what's going on..
    Panel 2, Mai : Yeah..
    Panel 3 : I just noticed that the legend skaters who picked Mao for the gold are all women.
    Panel 1 : Yes, Katia and Dorothy.
    Panel 3 : It seems that they were right in judging...
    Panel 1 : You think that women usually predict more accurately?
    Panel 3 : I think so.
    Panel 2(Mai) : Besides, they both are gold medalists. Skaters who picked Yuna are not gold medalist except Kulik. It means more gold medalist picked Mao than Yuna.
    Panel 3 : I don't care about other skaters opinions.
    Panel 1 : You don't care about them? You made a daring remark.
    Last edited by karlon; 01-16-2013 at 05:42 AM.

  17. #17
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Shocked to see that Johnny Weir actually answered that question. I thought that he was still thinking about making a run for Sochi. Guess not.
    I was afraid of the same thing at first, but then I thought, maybe he's asking what he was asked...which of these seven will make the podium? Of course, he could have added himself in the "?" eighth spot. But maybe he was being his usual unpretentious self ( ) and was not coy like people often are when asked these kinds of questions and hem and haw instead of just answering the question.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Given what Weir said about the level of the competition this season, and taking him at his word, I think he knows that he is not a medal threat.

    In point of fact, even though his ISU Personal Best is higher than any U.S. man except for Lysacek, he is going to be hard pressed to make the podium at next year's Nationals, let alone make the Olympic team, even if he does come back. And that's a podium with four medal positions, not just three.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    28
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    Panel : She came back!
    (2010 Vancouver Olympics gold medalist Yuna Kim. Olympic queen had taken a long break for 20 months and just came back)
    (2012.12 NRW Trophy - She made mistakes and fell, but no problem.. She set the new record with Yuna Kim qualities. How long this mysterious strongness will continue? )

    Panel : How does Yuna get such a high score?
    Mai : To be honest, I have no idea how she gets such a high score.
    Panel : You have no idea?
    Mai : I don't know. I had competed as a skater for a long time, but why...Maybe judges like her?(Mai)
    Panel : Oh, you think so? What do you think about that?
    Mai : I'd like to say 'no comment' about this issue.

    http://youtu.be/QKHxPTEY8fg
    (After the prediction of gold medalist for Sochi Olympics)

    Panel 1 : Legends could've seen what's going on..
    Panel 2, Mai : Yeah..
    Panel 3 : I just noticed that the legend skaters who picked Mao for the gold are all women.
    Panel 1 : Yes, Katia and Dorothy.
    Panel 3 : It seems that they were right in judging...
    Panel 1 : You think that women usually predict more accurately?
    Panel 3 : I think so.
    Panel 2(Mai) : Besides, they both are gold medalists. Skaters who picked Yuna are not gold medalist except Kulik. It means more gold medalist picked Mao than Yuna.
    Panel 3 : I don't care about other skaters opinions.
    Panel 1 : You don't care about them? You made a daring remark.


    Surprised that she didn't mention Mao's NHK performance. lol

    let me try my hand at reading Mai Asada's mind. This is what I think she meant to say:

    "I don't understand how Yu-Na gets high scores, after all that the JSF and ISU has done to keep her down. I mean, they changed the rules so they directly prevented her from doing her second-hardest combination, the 2A/3T--the one that my sister still struggles regularly with as the most difficult combination in her free program. That should have been enough to keep her from every winning again. I don't understand why Yu-Na is still attempting one of the hardest combinations out there among the ladies right now--the 3Lz/3T--when the ISU didn't pass the one rule that would've benefited Yu-Na. She's unnecessarily taking a greater risk by going for a harder element that is not rewarded enough under the current judging system. I don't understand why Yu-Na is competing again. She should have just given up and made it easy for my sister to win every competition. That's what the ISU did when they passed the rule allowing the 3A in the SP, contrary to figure skating's history regarding required elements in the short program. No, no, even though Mao has not finished on the Worlds podium two years in the row, and had a win so undeserved in her home country that the entire audience fell silent, what I really don't understand is Yu-Na's scores. Yes, she's attempting and landing more lutzes and flips (the hardest jumps except for the TRIPLE AXEL of which my sister has only landed one of in the past 2.5 seasons) than any other lady out there, she has transitions, high quality skating skills, presentation, but I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND. I don't understand why Mao doesn't win everything and gets high scores on everything. Those underrotations and popped jumps are not a big deal, it's MAO ASADA, my SISTER, she's the best, it doesn't matter if she underrotates or pops a jump, a single is as good as a double is as good as a triple. Why hasn't a rule been passed that just says, give her the Olympic gold medal? I just don't understand. Can't Cinquanta write Yu-Na a letter asking her not to compete at the 2014 Olympics? After all, somehow, mysteriously, he wrote Yu-Na a letter pressuring her to compete at 4CCs when there was zero precedence for such an action and no other Olympic contender ever received such a letter (except the ones who desperately needed to repair their reputation after bombing on the Grand Prix). I just don't understand why Yu-Na came back. I'm going to go cry now."



    Do not cry, Mai. If Mao fails again to win ogm( likely ) , she could attend PyeongChang in 2018. Yuna will welcome her heartily in her own country. She could compete at 2022 olympics.

    Who knows? Maybe, ISU would eliminate the difference between Lutz and Flip for Mao . That would be blessing for a lot of flutzers and Lippers.

    Mai, I got to tell you something. Your sister is on the right direction to be the next Suguri.


    Dick Button' quotes ....''Remember, every skater comes into the sport at a certain level, if she or they add to it, and if they are a important skater or great skater, if when they leave the sport, the sport has changed and become better because they were in it.''
    Last edited by johnny158; 01-16-2013 at 05:46 AM.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    443
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1038
    Johnny has definitely been an influence for Hanyu and a couple of the Russian boys, just as Oksana was to him. No one is ever going to imitate Lysacek. I think JW has a chance if he has a quad, and there are 3 spots, but I don't see him having the discipline for it. Makes me sad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •