Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The actress category has the youngest ever nominee and the oldest ever nominee!

I thought Zero Dark Thirty was a lock for Best Picture but now I'm not so sure.
    Do you think that is a reaction to the belief that some of the information (classified) was gotten improperly?

vCash
    There had been the feeling that Beasts of the Southern Wild would get overlooked because it was released in the summer, so its four nominations are quite the accomplishment.

Silver Linings Playbook's nominations in all the acting categories leads me to believe that it could be 2nd choice to Lincoln for Best Picture at the moment.

Doesn't look like there was much love of Intouchables for foreign...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Do you think that is a reaction to the belief that some of the information (classified) was gotten improperly?
    I think that's absolutely why they didn't do as well as expected to be quite frankly. I do expect Lincoln to be the runaway favorite now and clean up on Awards night.

I really hope Adele and Anne Hathaway win Oscars! Both are absolutely deserving winners. The rest I really don't care about, but Anne and Adele are the two I'm invested in this year.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    michiruwater answered it before me.

BTW, sorry but I HATED Seth McFarlene's "humor" during the nomination presentation. I felt it was out-of-place and almost inappropriate. Yeah, I know that's his style, but I thought it was disrespectful for the occasion. Maybe it's his smugness I don't like. He looks like his ego is out of control.
    I enjoyed Seth McFarlene. Perhaps it's because while I'm entertained by the Oscars, I don't think they are that serious (it's not like the Nobel Peace Prize).

I'm glad Tom Hooper didn't get a nomination, but too bad about Marion Cotillard. I had a chance to see Rust and Bone and she was breathtaking. Hope Sally Field or Amy Adams upsets Anne Hathaway who I thought was so self-indulgent in Les Mis. Also, very surprised about the Bigelow snub.
    Last edited by jenny12; 01-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.

vCash
    Wow, when I didn't see Kathryn Bigelow's name for Director I definitely gasped. One of the biggest snubs in recent years!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Utterly shocked about Affleck and Bigelow getting snubbed for director. Thrilled for the love shown to Beasts of the Southern Wild and Silver Linings Playbook. I still think Lincoln is the front runner for best pic though, and no way anyone but Daniel Day-Lewis is winning best actor. Best actress is quite the race! Chastain and Lawrence are the likely leaders but I'd love for Riva or Wallis to get it

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    This makes Quvenzhané Wallis the youngest Best Actress nominee in history, right? I'm pretty sure the girl from Whale Rider held the record before, but she was 13, if I remember correctly?
    Anna Paquin won for The Piano at the age of 11.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Anna Paquin won for The Piano at the age of 11.
    She won in the Best Supporting Actress category, however. Tatum O'Neal was actually the youngest nominee for that award, winning for her performance in Paper Moon at age 10.

ETA: I heart trivia.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 01-10-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    I never thought I'd say this, but Ben Affleck was completely robbed. IMHO, "Argo" was incredible.............

..............and although "Silver Linings Playbook" wasn't a lousy movie, I don't know if it deserved a nom in EVERY major category. for Jacki Weaver, though, she's fab!

I must admit that I enjoy when the Best Pic and Best Director noms aren't automatic match-ups. Makes it much more interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Yeah, I know that's his style, but I thought it was disrespectful for the occasion.
    The "occasion"?

vCash
    Agree wholeheartedly with those who believe Affleck wuzrobbed of a Best Director nod. Argo was an incredible piece of work due in no small part to his direction. For me, it was the second best film of the year and I considered it number one right up until seeing Lincoln.

vCash
    Honestly, no. If anything political figured into it, it was the "positive" depiction of water-boarding. There was somewhat of a mini-backlash on the film because it was regarded as more of a well-made action film and not a traditional "Oscar Picture." That and the unexpected love for Amour were probably what will hurt its chances.

At this point Lincoln will probably win everything its nominated for except Best Supporting Actress (Hathaway is pretty much a lock). Best Actress will be Lawrence or Chastain.

Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I enjoyed Seth McFarlene. Perhaps it's because while I'm entertained by the Oscars, I don't think they are that serious (it's not like the Nobel Peace Prize).

I'm glad Tom Hooper didn't get a nomination, but too bad about Marion Cotillard. I had a chance to see Rust and Bone and she was breathtaking. Hope Sally Field or Amy Adams upsets Anne Hathaway who I thought was so self-indulgent in Les Mis. Also, very surprised about the Bigelow snub.
    I'm with you on Seth. I do tend to like it when the hosts tease the "Hollywood people" because its quite often what the folks at home are thinking. Billy Crystal used to give some biting jabs at the crowd, but he was just so likeable that no one noticed.

I almost wish they did nominate Hooper, not because he deserved it, but because the ensuing Internet meltdown would have been entertaining.

vCash
    I think, unfortunately for Affleck the director, older memories of his acting ("Gigli") and tabloid days (Bennifer) live on in the minds of some voters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    More amazed at the omissions than the noms.
    This comes up every year and at least there was some movement in expanding the best film category by why not expand the others too?
    We've seen the shockers in the best director category and I am surprised that John Hawkes was left off for best actor. I don't think there should be a set number. If seven actors finished within a few votes of one another then nominate all seven.

With Affleck I wonder if voters thought he campaigned too much for "Argo." Most of the others don't have Ben's advantage of being a star that people want to see on the talk shows and I'm sure his resurrection and now "golden boy" status might have caused some envy or if not envy then a determination to make sure the less visible directors received recognition. Perhaps many thought that Affleck and Bigelow were locks so they gave their votes to others. I'd love to talk to the folks who made the nominations.
    Last edited by Cachoo; 01-10-2013 at 05:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    The "occasion"?
    Exactly! I did not know The Oscars were something sacred!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but Affleck wuzrobbed. Argo was one of the best movies I've seen recently, not just this year. Happy Alan Arkin got nominated, at least.
    ITA. Never thought I'd say that either. It was my favorite movie I've seen this past year. I thought Lincoln was good, but not great. It dragged for me a bit. Tommy Lee Jones was there to pick it up a little, which sometimes was a bit of a jolt. Although I thought Daniel Day Lewis was good, I think I preferred Hugh Jackman's acting. (I'll forgive him his singing of Bring Him Home since it's an acting nomination).

And the belief that they were fed some false information.

I guess Silver Linings Playbook is next on my list of movies to see. Are any of the nominated movies out on DVD yet?

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I usually look forward to Oscar nominations every year. But there is nothing about the list that excites me this year.

vCash
    Beats of the Southern Wild is out on DVD, Quvenzhané Wallis gave a stunning performance.

vCash
    Wow, Bigelow's snub has got to be the biggest in recent memory - respected vet who won just a few years ago, cleaned up in the critics awards, nominated for every precursor, and directing what was assumed to be the co-favourite for Best Picture.

I guess this means Best Picture is Lincoln's to lose, with Silver Linings Playbook as the possible spoiler (did better than expected in the nominations + the Weinstein factor)
    Last edited by AshleyN; 01-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.

vCash
    Disappointed/surprised:

Ben Afflec - He deserved this; biggest snub, IMO
    Bigelow- Biggest shocker, though I have not seen the movie yet
    Skyfall - this deserved a BP nom
    John Hawkes- I thought he was the only one that could even remotely challenge DDL for Best Actor
    Bradley Cooper- He was really good, but Oscar worthy - better than Hawkes?

Happy:

Naomi Watts- finally got the recognition;I still have to see the movie though
    Tom Hooper- Glad he did not get the BD nom
    Life of Pi - Getting the recognition it deserved
    Lincoln- Same as above, but not a surprise
    Last edited by Vash01; 01-10-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast