Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    Honestly, no. If anything political figured into it, it was the "positive" depiction of water-boarding.
    Yes, that was part of my concern, I should have been more specific. I was wondering if the controversy, could have hurt the film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyN View Post
    Wow, Bigelow's snub has got to be the biggest in recent memory - respected vet who won just a few years ago, cleaned up in the critics awards, nominated for every precursor, and directing what was assumed to be the co-favourite for Best Picture.
    And the film is universally praised by almost all the critics who've seen it. It currently ranks 94% on rottentomatoes with very good to glowing reviews. I'm sure the analysts will come up with all kind of reasons why it was snubbed, ie anything from because of the controversial topic or maybe Hollywood didn't want to honor a woman director for a 2nd time, etc.

vCash
    I'm really shocked at all the nominations for "Silver Linings Playbook." Was it that good?

I haven't seen the movie, but the trailer made the film look like another run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, wrapped in mental illness for edge. The trailer seemed to hit every romcom cliche in the book. I half-expected "Salsbury Hill" to start playing it looked so uninspired and predictable.

Everything about the trailer screamed, "Stay away!"

I guess that was a misperception? Is this movie not that, and actually oscar worthy? Or do the producers/director simply have some good connections?

Can anyone vouch for the film?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    I'm really shocked at all the nominations for "Silver Linings Playbook." Was it that good?

I haven't seen the movie, but the trailer made the film look like another run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, wrapped in mental illness for edge. The trailer seemed to hit every romcom cliche in the book. I half-expected "Salsbury Hill" to start playing it looked so uninspired and predictable.

Everything about the trailer screamed, "Stay away!"

I guess that was a misperception? Is this movie not that, and actually oscar worthy? Or do the producers/director simply have some good connections?

Can anyone vouch for the film?
    Have not seen it either, but my perception was the same as yours.

vCash
    I haven't seen "Silver Linings Playbook" yet but this NYTimes review certainly doesn't seem to be describing a "run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, wrapped in mental illness for edge." I'm sure that some FSUers who have seen it can provide more/better input on the film and whether or not it is "deserving" as an Oscar nominee.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I haven't seen "Silver Linings Playbook" yet but this NYTimes review certainly doesn't seem to be describing a "run-of-the-mill romantic comedy, wrapped in mental illness for edge." I'm sure that some FSUers who have seen it can provide more/better input on the film and whether or not it is "deserving" as an Oscar nominee.
    I agree I think that describes Love and other drugs from a few years ago! LOL!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Oscar Nominations

I also admit that the trailers for Silver Lining Playbook didn't make it look any better than any other romantic comedy. I assumed they got some great performances out of Cooper and Lawrence but am surprised about the other nominations.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    "Silver Linings Playbook" (IMO) was completely awesome. The ending was not all I'd hoped for, but that may be in part due to the book it was based on. My biggest praise for the movie goes to Jennifer Lawrence, however. I've thought she was good in other roles, but I can't say I had bought into the hype about her being the "next big" young star. This movie changed that perception totally for me.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    I usually look forward to Oscar nominations every year. But there is nothing about the list that excites me this year.
    On the whole, I think this has been one of the strongest years for movies in a while. What were hoping to see nominated?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Best picture can get up to 10 nominations, but Best Director only 5? Seems illogical to me.

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    First Position was robbed, IMO. I am extremely put out that it didn't get a nom for Best Documentary Feature

vCash
    Am I the only one that does not get the hype about Silver linings playbook? Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the movie, but I found it rather predictable (the ending in particular). It was a very well done movie, and it belongs on the Best picture nomination list, but I still don't get the raves over it. It is essentially a romcom, with some mental health stuff added to it. I can name two other movies that were as good as this one- The Sessions and Skyfall (two very different genres, and very good in its own way). I am still shocked that Bradley Cooper got the best actor nom over John Hawkes.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Just saw an interview with Quentin Tarantino and never realised until now how much of an asshole he seems to be.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    With Affleck I wonder if voters thought he campaigned too much for "Argo." Most of the others don't have Ben's advantage of being a star that people want to see on the talk shows and I'm sure his resurrection and now "golden boy" status might have caused some envy or if not envy then a determination to make sure the less visible directors received recognition. Perhaps many thought that Affleck and Bigelow were locks so they gave their votes to others. I'd love to talk to the folks who made the nominations.
    He really did campaign hard. He's a very private person, but in the last few months was constantly seen out smiling with the wife and kids, letting paps take pictures, etc. Very out of the ordinary for him. And I'm very surprised for his and Bigelow's snubs.

Bradley Cooper will always be Will Tippin from Alias to me. Insane to think that he's the first actor since the show ended to be nominated for an Oscar.

Even though I haven't seen Les Miserables, I adore Hugh Jackman and would love for him to win. From what I hear, the race is between him and DDL, though if those 2 split the votes, Cooper could sneak in. Happy to see Joaquin Phoenix in there - many thought he ruined his chances a few months ago when he basically said the Oscars don't mean anything and he didn't care about nominations. He's been overshadowed in the past by his costars (by Russell Crow in Gladiator and Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line) that it's nice to see him being the main attraction for a film.

From what I hear, the race for best actress is between Jessica Chastain (who for some reason I don't know, bothers me) and Jennifer Lawrence.

Kind of surprised not to see Javier Bardem, since he's gotten so much recognition for Skyfall. Leonardo DiCaprio is also a bit of a surprise, though Christoph Waltz definitely outshone him in Django Unchained (and I so want him to win!!!)

It's an interesting year for the Oscars since there is no far away frontrunner in any category. Even Anne Hathaway (who annoys me as well, to no end) isn't a clear frontrunner for Les Miserables.

It shall be interesting...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am still shocked that Bradley Cooper got the best actor nom over John Hawkes.
    I haven't seen either move, but knowing the past work of both actors, I'm wondering if Cooper got the nod because the Academy always seems to go for a performance where an actor goes to a new level. Hawkes is always amazing, but Cooper showed something new? Thoughts on that?

Very pleased to see that "The Invisible War" got a nomination for Documentary Feature. Certainly has a pov, but it helped change the policies on sexual assault in the military.
    Last edited by znachki; 01-10-2013 at 08:33 PM.

vCash
    Bradley Cooper has a better PR agent, or had a better Oscar campaign, than John Hawkes. And Cooper's movie opened later than Hawkes' and got more widespread release and more attention.

I haven't seen either movie, so I have no opinion on which was actually the better performance.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I haven't seen either movie, so I have no opinion on which was actually the better performance.
    Hey - this is the Oscars - since when has that had anything to do with it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I haven't seen many of the movies, but am glad to see Skyfall got a nod for cinematography.
    Agreed, and happy to see Thomas Newman nominated for his score (though not his best work). That man is the biggest wuzrobbed of ALL. TIME.

Bummed Affleck didn't make the cut for Argo, but at least he picked up the Best Picture nod (he was co-producer).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by avivadawn View Post
    First Position was robbed, IMO. I am extremely put out that it didn't get a nom for Best Documentary Feature
    I think the Imposter and Marley not getting nominated is the bigger shocker.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with those who believe Affleck wuzrobbed of a Best Director nod. Argo was an incredible piece of work due in no small part to his direction. For me, it was the second best film of the year and I considered it number one right up until seeing Lincoln.
    Blame Canada for its polite facts-being-set-straight campaign
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast