Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    POST DELETED

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I wouldn't think there is any obligation or expectency that something should be brought for brunch.
    ITA.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    No one suggested champagne?

Wondering what it says about me that brunch is synonymous with champagne . When we have people over for brunch (or go to someone's for brunch), the unspoken rule is that everyone brings a bottle of champagne. And by the end of brunch, they're all gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Wondering what it says about me that brunch is synonymous with champagne . When we have people over for brunch (or go to someone's for brunch), the unspoken rule is that everyone brings a bottle of champagne. And by the end of brunch, they're all gone.
    It says that your are political views are forgiven for brunch and I'll gladly accept an invite. I'm sure that by the end of the meal we'll discover that we have no disagreements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post

It says that you are thoughtful and spot on! Great idea for a brunch host gift. Prosecco would work as well.

vCash
    A bunch of pens if she was a dirty pen thief?
    It's been a really long week. I read the above as A bunch of penis if she was a dirty penis thief.

I like the idea of the tea sampler. How about some nice biscotti to dunk?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    It's been a really long week. I read the above as A bunch of penis if she was a dirty penis thief.
    Funniest line of the week.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    resurrecting this thread for a similar etiquette question.

I have finally managed to schedule a play date for my son with one of his friends from pre-school (they are 2). His mom has invited me to brunch with her husband (mine is out this weekend) at their place on Sunday, and then the kids can play.
    I asked if I could bring anything, since usually when I go to informal brunch with friends with kids I usually bring bagels & cream cheese or something - but she said no, just bring yourself.

Should I still bring some flowers or something for her effort?
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    resurrecting this thread for a similar etiquette question.

I have finally managed to schedule a play date for my son with one of his friends from pre-school (they are 2). His mom has invited me to brunch with her husband (mine is out this weekend) at their place on Sunday, and then the kids can play.
    I asked if I could bring anything, since usually when I go to informal brunch with friends with kids I usually bring bagels & cream cheese or something - but she said no, just bring yourself.

Should I still bring some flowers or something for her effort?
    You don't have to bring anything. I would, just because I feel uncomfortable coming empty handed (but that is me, not the rule). You could bring flowers, a bottle of wine/sparkling wine, or some sort of desert treat (maybe for the kids?).

vCash
    I think people should do whatever they are comfortable with. If those who feel the need to take a gift take one, then those who don't want the gift should not take offense. If those who don't believe they should take a gift don't take one, then those who believe they should receive a gift should not take offense. That way, everyone will have to suck it up and not be offended some of the time, and everyone will have times when they are actually pleased.

There is more than enough real offense in the world without looking for it among our friends.

As a side note for those who like to take plants and flowers, in the spring, potted daffodils make a great gift. They are inexpensive, have no perfume, there is no need to find or buy a vase, and they are only expected to last a week at best. They are also environmentally friendly because the receiver can, if they like, plant them in the garden where they will bloom every year for years to come. They can also just chuck them in the garbage and no one will be the wiser.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I think people should do whatever they are comfortable with. If those who feel the need to take a gift take one, then those who don't want the gift should not take offense. If those who don't believe they should take a gift don't take one, then those who believe they should receive a gift should not take offense. That way, everyone will have to suck it up and not be offended some of the time, and everyone will have times when they are actually pleased.

There is more than enough real offense in the world without looking for it among our friends.
    Well said, especially the bolded line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12