Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Saturday Brunch--Should I Bring A Hostess Gift?

My former manager is having a group of ladies from the old office over for brunch on Saturday. It's just a casual thing, but I'm wondering if I should bring a small hostess gift. Any ideas?

vCash
    My rule of thumb, is yes. Whenever I'm invited over I try to take something. Just as a kind of thank you for taking the time to have us over. I usually go with flowers or wine. If its brunch though, maybe a basket with some fruit. Flowers would be a good option too...

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    To me flowers is always nice (unless person has weird thing against flowers/allergic - but most people aren't), because it doesn't seem like a 'real gift', so if no one else brings something it is OK, but you don't arrive empty handed.

Quadless
    vCash
    As long as the flowers are already arranged and in a vase. Otherwise, the gift is actually creating a burden on the hostess, who will then have to worry about finding a vessel, trimming the stems, putting them in water, etc.

Other little hostess gifts that are low key:

- Linen tea towels
    - Soap sampler
    - Candle
    - Something edible (could be a few jars of nice jam or mustard, a nice bottle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, etc.)
    - Chocolates
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Flowers, a bottle of wine, chocolates, cookies from a bakery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    As long as the flowers are already arranged and in a vase. Otherwise, the gift is actually creating a burden on the hostess, who will then have to worry about finding a vessel, trimming the stems, putting them in water, etc.
    For that reason, I like to take a small, potted plant in a pretty pot as a hostess gift. Less fuss, lasts longer and can be just as pretty!

vCash
    Dark chocolate covered almonds.

vCash
    One of the first things I would consider - is it the norm for your area to bring hostess gifts. Before everyone jumps all over me and say that it is always appropriate, cultural norms/standards can differ across the world.
    If so, I would think about what you know about your former manager. Did she have candies on her desk? if so, what were they? - that would probably mean more to me than some of the other suggestions, you would remember what I liked.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    For that reason, I like to take a small, potted plant in a pretty pot as a hostess gift. Less fuss, lasts longer and can be just as pretty!
    If someone brought me a plant I would be thankful but in reality it would be a burden. I never remember to water those things and then the next time that person comes over you feel embarrassed that the plant is long gone. Unless I knew the person liked to take care of plants then I would not bring that to someone.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    I would never consider having to find a vase a burden - a vase makes it a much larger gift, and who knows if the recipient likes the style? (The only time I appreciated not having to worry about a vase was when I got flowers after my son was born. I had enough to look after )

So, yeah, I agree that customs differ a lot! Bringing wine would be considered odd as a hostess gift in Denmark, for instance, in most cases.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'd typically bring something, and if it were a dinner party or evening event, I'd probably bring wine . But for a brunch, I'd either bring some nice bakery cookies from the bakery near me, or I I knew the manager would like it, a couple of nice teas/coffee or chocolates of some sort.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I would only take something that could be consumed as part of the brunch. I would never take flowers unless I knew them (and their families) well. I would consider everything in BittyBug's list, except the chocolates, a PITA. I don't want anymore soap samplers, candles or jars of food I'll never eat! These are, for me, the over-given obligation gifts that people have too much of and never use...if I'm given any of them (or little tiny bottles of bath/shower gel) it's a sign you don't know me well but feel like you need to give me a gift. Each year I give a bunch of them away to other people/charities.

vCash
    For a brunch, I'd bring a bag of premium coffee, or, if I knew there would be lots of tea drinkers, a sampler of premium teabags. If they choose to use it right then, great, but they can use it at their convenience.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I usually do the standard bottle of wine and try to dress it up. I also tell the host that it is for her for later. Most events I go to are with larger families and I've started bringing donuts or bagels or bake muffins or a coffee cake and juice for the next day. I figure after going to the effort to plan an event, they will want to take it easy the next day.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    When I saw this thread title, my first thought was, "I thought Hostess went out of business!!"
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I wouldn't think there is any obligation or expectency that something should be brought for brunch.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Does the host have pets? If so, bring some dog/kitteh treats and if you're feeling cutesty, dress 'em up so it looks like the pet is part of the event. It's cheap, it's consumable, it doesn't step on anyone's toes. Since it's a group of office people, is there something small you could bring that would remind them of a shared work experience/private work? A bottle of Axe in memory of that annoying intern that used too much? A bunch of pens if she was a dirty pen thief?

To me, a Saturday brunch is casual, so wine might not be appropriate. I hesitate to bring food if the hostess has said they're providing, as you don't know if what you bring will clash...or even worse, be better than what the hostess served. While I'm sure I have something that could be used as a vase, I wouldn't be able to put my hand on it quickly enough to not be disrupting. I really hate scented candles and am not fond of fancy soaps and even people that do like it tend to have favorite scents/brands.

The typical hostess gifts are kind of like what you'd get for the office Santa Steal for someone you don't know very well. To me things like that say, well, I feel like I had to give you something, but couldn't be bothered to think about it.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Me neither.

vCash
    I wouldn't think there is any obligation or expectency that something should be brought for brunch.
    Me neither.

vCash
    This thread is over a month old, guys, the OP already had her brunch. PeterG just bumped it so he could make a joke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast