Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

Spoiler

That was behind spoiler tags complete with a warning not to even HOVER on the link. If you don't want spoilers, don't click on those. I knew THAT (in fact I know all the big events for the season, I'm not saying them) but if I hadn't wanted to know anything, I would have heeded the post warning and not clicked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    FSUers have been careful and considerate enough not to ruin countless tv shows, movies and books before, so I don't see why it can't be done here. It's a real shame that someone who either didn't bother to read the topic and opening post of this thread or who thought they were being clever has ruined it for others.
    Hey, it wasn't me...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    Well maybe I should have just said that no matter how pretty he is, I am just getting sick of Matthew
    Me too. And I don't think Dan Stevens is much of an actor either, especially compared to the rest of the fine cast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    That was behind spoiler tags complete with a warning not to even HOVER on the link. If you don't want spoilers, don't click on those. I knew THAT (in fact I know all the big events for the season, I'm not saying them) but if I hadn't wanted to know anything, I would have heeded the post warning and not clicked.
    Chill. It wasn't your post. It was Peaches La Tour responding to your post. WARNING: THE LINKED POST CONTAINS A SPOILER

And I haven't bitched once about spoilers. In fact, I spoil the hell out of myself. Can't stand the tension!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Meanwhile, back to discussing the show ...

I was interested to see the scenes with Thomas's attraction to the new footman. They haven't really mentioned anything about his sexuality since season 1, other than a blink-and-you'll-miss-it reference to "it's hard being different" at the beginning of season 2. I'm glad it hasn't been in-your-face overarching storyline, but I did expect a little more. Perhaps some reluctance on the part of the writers & producers to make arguable the most dislikable character also a gay man?

Anyway, I'm assuming that O'Brian is going to stir things here. She knows Thomas's inclinations, and now that she's harbouring a serious grudge against him I'm betting she's pushing him toward Jimmy/James to get him fired.

(BTW, the housemaids' reaction to Jimmy was hilarious.)

Meanwhile ... yay for Edith! And yay for Laura Carmichael, she continues to play her part to perfection. How she manages to look so surprised every time someone recognizes her achievements.

As for the Branson storyline ... well we all called that one. It will be very interesting to see the battle of loyalties play out there.

And as for Matthew, I agree that Dan Stevens is hardly the strongest actor of the bunch, but I don't hate the character and I think he's generally written as one of the most consistent. And it's the most logical thing in the world that a. Downton is run more for the sake of "tradition" than efficiency, b. Matthew would want to change that, and c. both Robert and Mary would be dismissive of even the need to talk about it. I absolutely loved his scene with the Dowager on the matter -- and I agreed with her conclusions!

vCash
    Just to bring this thread back up, and because it doesn't contain any spoilers for those who are only now watching season 3, have any of you seen this spoofy "Downton Abbey video game"? about Mathew's ... problem with "unreliability."
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    That game is pretty fun.

vCash
    I would totally play that..

vCash
    Sorry for the double post but:

WHAT THE HELL, JULIAN FELLOWES?!?!?!

vCash
    I know, I wasn't spoiled at all, so I was totally shocked.... Time for multiple tissues!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    I would totally play that..
    Yeah, I totally want that for real now.

And...way to, Dr. Malpractice. Dr. Clarkson is now entitled to infinite "I told you so" usage for pretty much EVER. (The guy does not get to be right often, heck of a time for it.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
    I know, I wasn't spoiled at all, so I was totally shocked.... Time for multiple tissues!
    I knew it was going to happen, but it was still awful to watch. Poor Sybil.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I thought that the scene where the Dowager walked into the room when she arrived (filmed from behind) was a bit of magnificent acting from Maggie Smith. Her grief showed through even though you couldn't see her face. She walked as though she had aged 10 years overnight. Also the scene with Thomas and Anna crying was very moving.

And even though I knew it was coming, I cried.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash

I am just floored. That came from nowhere.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    I thought that the scene where the Dowager walked into the room when she arrived (filmed from behind) was a bit of magnificent acting from Maggie Smith. Her grief showed through even though you couldn't see her face.
    Maggie Smith is amazing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I saw this on ITV Player back in the fall. Absolutely heartbreaking, and yes Maggie Smith was brilliant conveying her grief.

Too bad yelling "magnesium sulfate" did nothing.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Well, that was a 3-hankie episode.

I somehow knew things were going to go bad for Sybil as soon as I saw they'd hired "Ronald Merrick" as her doctor.

Poor Doctor Clarkson, of all the times for him to be right!

I really hope the Cora-blaming-Robert business doesn't drag out too long. Understandable though, many marriages don't survive the loss of a child.

And ITA about Dame Maggie. As much as I love her witty one-liners, her grief-stricken scene was beyond compare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Well, that was a 3-hankie episode.

I somehow knew things were going to go bad for Sybil as soon as I saw they'd hired "Ronald Merrick" as her doctor.

Poor Doctor Clarkson, of all the times for him to be right!

I really hope the Cora-blaming-Robert business doesn't drag out too long. Understandable though, many marriages don't survive the loss of a child.

And ITA about Dame Maggie. As much as I love her witty one-liners, her grief-stricken scene was beyond compare.
    I agree, Dame Maggie was brilliant. I thought she was going to collapse on the spot and expire. My reaction was, oh no, not yet! We need you in the series for as long as possible! A lot of misery tonight. I hope somebody gets happier next week.

vCash
    Poor Lady Sybil. I wasn't spoiled beforehand, so it hit me like a ton of bricks -- although I was uneasy with the foreshadowing in her conversation with Mary, I really didn't want to believe it would lead where it did. Maggie Smith was absolutely brilliant in her grief. Sir Robert and his pig-headed, titled Harley Street obstetrician.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Of course it had to be the most angelic of the sisters: When they sided with Dr. Arrogant I knew she was in deep trouble but I didn't know if JF would write her out. Brave but sad choice...

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast