Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    About Sir Anthony, I half expected someone to speak up during the ceremony and reveal he had a secret wife, a la Bertha Mason
    It feels as though there is something more to the story,
    I haven't "spoiled" myself; so, I don't know for sure!

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    If I was writing the next phase for Edith, she would be a Beatrix Potter type character. Then when she becomes more willful & free thinking than her younger sister & no longer needs a man (even though her family continually wrings hands about her spinster status), the most dashing man will appear who totally appreciates her independence & self sufficiency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    It feels as though there is something more to the story,
    I haven't "spoiled" myself; so, I don't know for sure!
    Oh, I have no idea if there is anything more, it's just that as he was nervously fidgeting in the church, I thought someone might dramatically announce "I know of an impediment to this marriage!" -- but, alas, we never even got that far. As for another (half expected) plot twist -- one of Reggie Swire's beneficiaries who was thought to predecease him, returns from India to claim his inheritance. Ater all, isn't "return from the dead" a common soap opera convention?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    If I was writing the next phase for Edith, she would be a Beatrix Potter type character. Then when she becomes more willful & free thinking than her younger sister & no longer needs a man (even though her family continually wrings hands about her spinster status), the most dashing man will appear who totally appreciates her independence & self sufficiency.
    Funny, but I don't feel that her family cares that much whether Edit ever gets married. She is almost an afterthought to them.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I, too, liked Edith's gown much more than Mary's. About Sir Anthony, I half expected someone to speak up during the ceremony and reveal he had a secret wife, a la Bertha Mason
    Let Sir Anthony's house burn for that! (And he has to lose the sight of one eye for a little while).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Let Sir Anthony's house burn for that! (And he has to lose the sight of one eye for a little while).
    Well, he already has the mangled hand/arm, if not quite the dark, Byronic figure. Poor Edith, with her luck she would next encounter a St. John Rivers type wants her to be a missionary in India or Africa with him -- and have a strictly platonic marriage.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Well, he already has the mangled hand/arm, if not quite the dark, Byronic figure. Poor Edith, with her luck she would next encounter a St. John Rivers type wants her to be a missionary in India or Africa with him -- and have a strictly platonic marriage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    and ironically he bows out at the end like a gentleman.
    well, a gentleman would have found an exit strategy BEFORE the wedding day itself.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    I like this idea very much, and feel it would be very much in character.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont feel sorry for edith. writing to the embassy over kemal could have ruined the whole family, not just mary. edith needs to run off to bloomsbury and try something else.
    That was a spiteful thing to do, but she was young and she was being tortured by Mary. The punishment hardly fits the crime -- esp. since everything has turned out so rosy for Mary who was hardly an innocent.

I too like the idea of Edith of doing something independent. I so see her as a suffragette! I have a feeling, though, that they've left her single to keep the door open for the return of "Patrick."

vCash
    I'm behind - just finished watching the first episode.

- I loved Maggie Smith and Mrs. Crawley uniting to force Branson into formal dress. He had no chance at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    That was a spiteful thing to do, but she was young and she was being tortured by Mary. The punishment hardly fits the crime -- esp. since everything has turned out so rosy for Mary who was hardly an innocent.

I too like the idea of Edith of doing something independent. I so see her as a suffragette! I have a feeling, though, that they've left her single to keep the door open for the return of "Patrick."
    I totally agree. Mary treated Edith like dirt on her shoes. I don't see Mary as a heroine in any way, shape or form.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    well, a gentleman would have found an exit strategy BEFORE the wedding day itself.
    I was talking about Sir Richard Carlisle, Mary's fiance, who actually had plenty of right to be really ticked off, but instead of being angry, let alone using the mother of all blackmail subjects he was holding over her, he bowed out.

And I don't think either Mary OR Edith has covered themselves in glory in their relationship. While they've both been repeatedly "punished" for it, Mary's troubles generally have a direct, obvious, cause-effect (she realizes she's the one who's ruined things with Matthew, yes, by listening to terrible advice but she was free not to act on it, she thinks she's stuck with Sir Richard because of her own bad behavior-Edith may have blabbed, but Mary can't deny it's true) where Mary's bad decisions lead to her problems, Edith's suffering from disproportionate retribution in ways utterly unrelated to her own behavior.

I can't really see Edith as a suffragette (besides, we already did that trope with Sybil) and that also feeds the current-for-the-day stereotype that suffragettes were in fact ugly women who couldn't find a husband. But she really needs someone who genuinely appreciates HER, which is not easy when her own FAMILY seems constantly amazed she's not an emotionless doorstop=check out their reactions in series two when the visiting general praises her for her help with the soldiers and while HE and Dr. Clarkson (and Isobel, who might be overly crusading but isn't blind and generally gives credit where it's due) aren't at all surprised, her own family is stunned anyone even noticed Edith exists.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ... But she really needs someone who genuinely appreciates HER, which is not easy when her own FAMILY seems constantly amazed she's not an emotionless doorstop=check out their reactions in series two when the visiting general praises her for her help with the soldiers and while HE and Dr. Clarkson (and Isobel, who might be overly crusading but isn't blind and generally gives credit where it's due) aren't at all surprised, her own family is stunned anyone even noticed Edith exists.
    Yes, that was a very telling moment, wasn't it?

Forgot to say earlier: I do think Edith has to take some responsibility for her latest misery, though. What on earth was she thinking, telling Sir Anthony on the eve of the wedding that she thinks of him as her "life's work," wanting to marry him because he's disabled? What man wants to hear that? Obviously there are worse reasons to get married, and I don't doubt Edith's affection for Anthony, but it's hardly a true-love-conquers-all situation.

vCash
    BE WARNED: This article is spoilery. Don't even hover your mouse over the link if you don't want spoilers. But I had to post it because the graphic is cracking me up.

Spoiler

Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    BE WARNED: This article is spoilery. Don't even hover your mouse over the link if you don't want spoilers. But I had to post it because the graphic is cracking me up.

Spoiler

This one is my favorite:

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post

Spoiler

That site is a riot!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

Yeah, they definitely left the Patrick plotline open, and no soap opera would be complete without the disfigured beyond recognition/restored to unrecognizable state/amnesia victim/heir drama. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come back.

vCash

Exclamation

I, too, loved Edith's dress much more so than the completely ugly and unflattering dress of Marys. Hope Edith finds someone who is wonderful to her and for her, preferable an American.

Can't understand why they bothered bringing Martha Levinson's character onto the show if it was only for one episode and not a very good one at that. There was too little interaction between the Grand Dames to make the effort of Mama Levinson's presence worth the while. While I love, love, love, Shirley, I think that Tyne Daly would have been a better pick for the role because she truly has the "New York" attitude that character needed.

And now that Dan Stevens won't be back, what will they do with the character of Matthew for the future?

I am loathing the character of Mary more and more with every episode, if that is possible.

vCash
    What on earth was she thinking, telling Sir Anthony on the eve of the wedding that she thinks of him as her "life's work," wanting to marry him because he's disabled?
    As terrible as it seems to us, now; that was a common attitude toward those with disabilities at the time, particularly among the upper class.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 01-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast