Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    That's one of the most popular things I've ever put on my Facebook. Got 17 likes and 20 shares since yesterday.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    ^^Like!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    There had to be a baby boy to save us all the awfulness if going thru the entail again. Besides, Mary is to me the most interesting character and now she has terrible adversity, much worse than the Turk. Tell the truth, is there any chance you won't tune in next season?
    I certainly won't tune in next season. This show has an identity crisis. If I'm going to watch a cheesy soap opera, I want it to make me feel all cosy and warm. Of course some bad things can happen, but there are limits! Serious drama can be as depressing as life can be, but then I want it to be true to life, crude and honest like the "This is England" series.

So why should I watch Downton Abbey? Especially since the writer has admitted that he does not have imagination enough to keep the Matthew character away from home for the few months constituting a series! Could someone kindly make a clip of all of Maggie Smith's bits and put it on Youtube? Thanks in advance.

Jen, I totallly agree with you about this not being a suitable Christmas special. What were UK channels thinking this year? Several programmes this year depressed me to no end. There is so much sh*t in life! Can't we see a small glimmer of hope even on Christmas day?

For those who are looking for some light, sunny, cosy, feel-good period drama, I suggest BBC's Lark Rise to Candleford. Among its many qualities: when Brendon Coyle had to leave the series (presumable to play Bates in Downton Abbey) the writers didn't kill off his character and leave his children orphans.

vCash
    ^^^
    To each their own.
    I doubt that Fellowes, etc al. had any idea that the series would take on an identity of its' own; or that viewers would expect so much from it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I like Agnes and Frances O'Connor (Mrs. Selfridge) very much, so I watch for them. Plus, the plotlines have been interesting.
    I like the series. A lot. I think Downton takes itself a little too seriously at times, but I didn't get that sense from Selfridge. Frances O'Connor is very good (and doesn't get anywhere near enough TV and movie parts!) and I've had a soft spot for Sam West since I saw him in Hamlet at the National Theatre ages ago.

Also, Selfridge's French friend Henri Leclair was in a French series called Engrenages that's quite good and worth a look. Not so much for his DA character, but some of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I certainly won't tune in next season. This show has an identity crisis. If I'm going to watch a cheesy soap opera, I want it to make me feel all cosy and warm. Of course some bad things can happen, but there are limits! Serious drama can be as depressing as life can be, but then I want it to be true to life, crude and honest like the "This is England" series.
    I completely agree. The carnage in this season made me think they're trying to turn it into Spooks, the King George era. Errr, non! Thanks, but no thanks.
    Last edited by ioana; 02-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.

vCash
    I don't have a problem with either Sybil or Matthew dying, especially since the actors wanted out. The way I look at it is: hey, people die. Downton actually made it through the war fairly intact. The situations were pretty realistic - childbirth was very risky business up until the 1950's and '60s, so it wasn't that far-fetched. And those early automobiles were very dangerous. Again, not a stretch. But I guess my main thought is that Downton isn't MY story; I'm not writing it, I'm not producing it, I'm just a spectator. I don't see that they've done anything out of character - sending the besotted Matthew off to India would have been jarring to me - and I'm not so wrapped up in it that I can't deal with sharp twists and turns in the plot lines. If anything, I think it's interesting that the major traumas have occured in the Upper Class while the belowstairs folks are still relatively unscathed.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    ... Could someone kindly make a clip of all of Maggie Smith's bits and put it on Youtube? Thanks in advance. ....
    It's been done. And done again.

Top 10 from Season 1

Top 10 Season 2

Season 3

There are others too -- just search on YouTube for "maggie smith downton."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It's been done. And done again.
    I think Asli meant for Season 4 since she didn't plan on watching any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    If anything, I think it's interesting that the major traumas have occured in the Upper Class while the belowstairs folks are still relatively unscathed.
    Not quite -- there was William, the guy who got killed in the war. And Bates with that endless stint in jail -- not fatal, of course, but still traumatic.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    ^ "Relatively unscathed" still holds true. Given the real-life death toll of both the war and flu, to have a household that large only lose 2 is pretty remarkable.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I read in an interview with Brendan Coyle that even he complained to Fellowes that the Bates jail story went on too long.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    I read in an interview with Brendan Coyle that even he complained to Fellowes that the Bates jail story went on too long.
    What, he didn't like the sexy prison scrubs get-up? Nor the angsty forlorn looks he got to practice over and over as he sighed and looked downcast?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I don't have a problem with either Sybil or Matthew dying, especially since the actors wanted out. The way I look at it is: hey, people die. Downton actually made it through the war fairly intact. The situations were pretty realistic - childbirth was very risky business up until the 1950's and '60s, so it wasn't that far-fetched. And those early automobiles were very dangerous. Again, not a stretch. But I guess my main thought is that Downton isn't MY story; I'm not writing it, I'm not producing it, I'm just a spectator. I don't see that they've done anything out of character - sending the besotted Matthew off to India would have been jarring to me - and I'm not so wrapped up in it that I can't deal with sharp twists and turns in the plot lines. If anything, I think it's interesting that the major traumas have occured in the Upper Class while the belowstairs folks are still relatively unscathed.
    THANK you. I agree completely. First, the actors wanted to leave, and only crappy American daytime is still operating under the impression you can just replace an actor and pretend you never did it (and even there they wink and nod at it), so unless they can come up with some REALLY believable way to do it without hacking up other characters (they really couldn't leave Sybil in Ireland without writing Branson out and they clearly don't want to do that; they can't write Mary out and it's not really believable Matthew would leave her and the baby) killing the characters is the most realistic way to dispose of them. Childbirth is STILL risky, car crashes have pretty much happened since the auto was invented...I mean, if anything we ought to be complaining not enough people died of the flu or in the war! I think it's sufficient fantasy that Fellowes has flat-out said he'll never kill off the Dowager Duchess, even though let's be realistic, given her age, she would be statistically unlikely to make it to World War II.

And I'm kinda rooting for Dr. Clarkson and Isobel! Let her loosen up a bit, let the man have a nice storyline that doesn't involve his being either embarrassingly wrong or tragically right!

And lol at the cartoon--reminds me of "Every time someone asks George RR Martin when the next book is coming out, he kills a Stark. Won't someone think of the Starks?" Though I think the real best pledge drive ever CMU public TV actually did--they opened with a pledge segment and promised if they got $X by the end of that segment, they wouldn't run any more pledge interruptions for the rest of the way. And it worked

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ^^^
    To each their own.
    I doubt that Fellowes, etc al. had any idea that the series would take on an identity of its' own; or that viewers would expect so much from it.
    Happens to stories all the time, just ask JK Rowling and many other, more sophisticated novelists. While I do think that this was way harsh for Christmas, I will definitely watch the next season.

As to the show being realistic: I am surprised more people don't die from infectious diseases. Before vaccines and antibiotics kids and adults alike died from diphteria and other bacterial infections left and right. Here we only had Lavinia die from a viral flu. And of course Sybil--like Lady Violet pointed out, childbirth was very dangerous. Not much could be done with a lot of complications. Hard to believe this was only a 100 years ago.

Anyway, I am sucked in. He promised not to kill Lady Violet, good enough for me. Plus being Russian helps, lots of innate and cultural tolerance for .

C'mon Asli. You live in France, not exactly little rays of sunshine in that literary heritage either.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-19-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I watch the show haphazardly and I am not all that invested in the characters and so I didn’t mind Matthew’s death. Though, I rather like it when big things happen like that on television shows because they usually play it so safe. The show has great actors, a great backdrop and a great wardrobe. Lots of reasons to keep watching despite the loss of a lead character.

My first thought after the episode was a romantic match would occur between Mary and the Irish dude (see I don’t even know all their names) as they both have young children, dead spouses, and an interest in turning Downton around financially.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    My first thought after the episode was a romantic match would occur between Mary and the Irish dude (see I don’t even know all their names) as they both have young children, dead spouses, and an interest in turning Downton around financially.
    I don't see that happening. At all. Mary has come a long way in her attitudes, but she's still a snob. No way she'd hook up with an ex-chauffeur (his name is Tom Branson, btw), even though she has come to like and respect him. I just don't see Fellowes going that way.

I also think it would be, well, icky. Both of them lost the loves of their lives, and they were very, very different people. It would be disrespectful to the memories, and a cheap cop-out imo.

vCash
    Admittedly, it would be very Harlequin Romance to hook those two up.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I mostly agree with zaphyre's post 366 above. And, while I was sad to see Matthew killed (because, unlike others, I liked his character a lot and wasn't so critical of Dan Stevens' acting), it really was the only way that the story could have gone on for another season with the actor leaving. If there were a one-to-one correspondence of episodes to, say weeks of real time, then perhaps his absence could have been "explained" by his being away somewhere (which is why Fellowes said that this would have been what the would have done if Stevens had agreed to appear in two or three episodes) -- but no way for an entire season, even if only 7 episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I don't see that happening. At all. Mary has come a long way in her attitudes, but she's still a snob. No way she'd hook up with an ex-chauffeur (his name is Tom Branson, btw), even though she has come to like and respect him. I just don't see Fellowes going that way.

I also think it would be, well, icky. Both of them lost the loves of their lives, and they were very, very different people. It would be disrespectful to the memories, and a cheap cop-out imo.
    The "Irish dude" is Tom Branson, and you (snoopy) are not the first to suggest pairing Mary and Tom, but for me that would be for much the same reason as Artemis -- and I think it would be for their respective characters as well (also for the same reason as Artemis).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Childbirth is STILL risky, car crashes have pretty much happened since the auto was invented...I mean, if anything we ought to be complaining not enough people died of the flu or in the war!
    IMO a drama should obey the rules of its own world, not necessarily the rules of the outside world. Sybill's death was consistent with this world and IMO it had some meaning. There was all the discussion of the class differences, the political differences and religious conflict around the future baby's baptism and Sybill's death put all that in perspective in an effective way.

OTOH, if a couple like Mary and Matthew - the center of the whole story - are on-off-on-off and go through hell for something like eight years and finally get married, then spend the beginning of their marriage with financial problems, then try to conceive a child and then ONE HOUR after that child is born Matthew dies in a random accident- now that makes no sense at all in the world of Downton. They would have done better to end the series IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    C'mon Asli. You live in France, not exactly little rays of sunshine in that literary heritage either.
    I have nothing against angst and tragedy inliterature or drama. But everyone needs escapist television and that is what Downton should remain.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast