Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I was fine with them killing off Matthew. While it would have been fine to recast, it can be jarring to do such a transition (I despised "new Becky" in Roseanne). Recasting Sybil IMO would have been easier.

Mrs. Hughes was all kinds of awesome as usual. Loved seeing Carson with the baby! Loved his "I'm not old!"

It's a credit to the world they've created that I was holding my breath when Jimmy sat in the chair and put his feet up. It was a perfectly shocking moment that in any other context would not rate a mention. Personally if I were a housemaid, I'd have a hard time not taking a little snooze on one of the large beds.

Very little Daisy in this episode - except to show that the passage of time has brought her and Ivy together.

Tom Branson - dog walker Isis is looking like she's gained a few pounds. But with grounds so vast, all you really have to do is throw a stick and let her run after it. Great canine workout.

vCash
    Dan Stevens made the decision to leave in February last year, before they even started filming season 3. It's not like he sprung it on them between filming the last two episodes. They could've had him go off to Canada in search of the money sunk into the railroad or write in something more plausible. I bet after a while, they could've persuaded Stevens to return for one guest star episode.

Just ridiculous. And cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Dan Stevens made the decision to leave in February last year, before they even started filming season 3. It's not like he sprung it on them between filming the last two episodes. They could've had him go off to Canada in search of the money sunk into the railroad or write in something more plausible. I bet after a while, they could've persuaded Stevens to return for one guest star episode.

Just ridiculous. And cheap.
    The "off in the wilds of Canada -- or posted to India -- don't really strike me as being more "plausible." From the way he sounded in the interview from last summer, I don't think they could have persuaded Stevens to make any guest appearances. Although, now that his play on Broadway has closed, as of last week, I wonder if he has any regrets about his decision to leave the show. I suppose time will tell. He should have a bit more time to pursue his writing aspirations.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Very little Daisy in this episode - except to show that the passage of time has brought her and Ivy together.
    I was glad to see that. Aside from the fact that Daisy needs a friend closer to her own age, she's much more attractive when she isn't sulky & surly. (But then, aren't we all!)

Forgot to say this in relation to last week, though -- when Ethel left Isobel's employ, did anyone else think it would make sense for Daisy to become Isobel's new cook? She's been in training under Mrs Patmore for a long time, it would have been a good way for her to move up in her career but still stay in the show.

vCash
    That's a good idea.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Did anyone else feel sorry for Dr. Clarkson?

I think Isabel is about the most sexless woman on TV, but obviously he disagreed.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Daisy is like a fine wine, improving with age.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Yes. Not just about his failed courtship attempt, but about almost everything they've done with his character over the course of the show. Country doctors just can't get any respect!

I think Isabel is about the most sexless woman on TV, but obviously he disagreed.
    No sex please, we're English.

Tho maybe that's the problem, as Clarkson is Scottish ...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    that stalkery maid should have stalked dr clarkson

i'm glad isabel said no. poor dr clarkson may be lonely but i assume he isnt irritated in his own home.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    The "off in the wilds of Canada -- or posted to India -- don't really strike me as being more "plausible."
    It's not plausible to me either, but that's why the writers are paid the big bucks surely they could've come up with something, ANYTHING other than killing him off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Daisy is like a fine wine, improving with age.
    To me, of all the characters, Daisy really has 'grown up' before our eyes over the 3 seasons. Nice to see the evolution - it has seemed natural.
    I did enjoy Carson with baby Sybil - nice continuity as he does seem to care for Mary, and the other daughters too, as an uncle type role. I like when shows have this kind of continuity.

What castle was used for the one in Scotland?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    It's not plausible to me either, but that's why the writers are paid the big bucks surely they could've come up with something, ANYTHING other than killing him off.

ITA. Since they all knew he was going to leave long before the series was filmed, they could have had him never marry Mary and go off and do something else. The show went downhill when they got those two together - they just suddenly had nothing to write about.

Sadly, like too many shows, I think those behind it got greedy and put their money making venture ahead of good storytelling. The best shows are the ones that leave us wanting more, not the ones we wish had ended series earlier with some integrity.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

I did but also thought it was a blessing in disguise which he shortly realized.

I have to say that while I think the timing of this could have been more considerate, Christmas and all, the way they wrote Matthew out was very well done.

A car accident is always plausible. Given he was giddy with joy of being a new father and thus driving recklessly made it all believable and poignant. But they shouldn't have done it on Christmas.

They had this nice scene where the Earl finally acknowledges Matthew and how much he did for the estate (saved it in more ways than one) and how great it is to have 2 healthy heirs and there's Mary glowing and happy with the new baby--all this happiness vs. sudden tragedy is too much for Christmas IMO. Otherwise, well done.

It's kind of like when a soldier starts dreaming of coming home, setting up, marrying and having kids, you know there is an incoming with his name on it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Well, since for us it wasn't Christmas, so not so bad here in that respect.

I felt so bad for Dr. Clarkson. The man cannot win. We'll see what happens, though, now that Isobel's lost her only child.

I liked that they had Robert acknowledge how lucky he really was, especially with the estate, though the whole thing with "Shrimpy" having lost his money and not being able to save it and being stuck in an unhappy marriage that DOESN'T get resolved seemed horribly contrived to force that conversation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    What castle was used for the one in Scotland?
    Inveraray Castle

I've been there! And picked daphodils in that very field! (I was 10 at the time.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    ITA. Since they all knew he was going to leave long before the series was filmed, they could have had him never marry Mary and go off and do something else.
    Well, then there might be constant talking about how/when they would all have to leave Downton Abbey once Sir Robert died ... if his demise was some time in the future, that would lead to lots of anxiety amd angst for all the characters (with the downstairs staff worrying about losing their jobs and Mary and Edith both in search of a rich husband to offset the drop in their fortunes) -- and much nasty snarking towards Isobel. I don't really see that as a very good storyline, unless they wanted to make season 3 and/or 4, a prelude to "Leaving Downton Abbey."
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    There had to be a baby boy to save us all the awfulness if going thru the entail again. Besides, Mary is to me the most interesting character and now she has terrible adversity, much worse than the Turk. Tell the truth, is there any chance you won't tune in next season?
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    There had to be a baby boy to save us all the awfulness if going thru the entail again. Besides, Mary is to me the most interesting character and now she has terrible adversity, much worse than the Turk. Tell the truth, is there any chance you won't tune in next season?
    I admit that I'm very curious to see if Mary deals with it by retreating into even greater coldness and snobbery than ever, or if his death and the birth of the baby somehow opens up her emotions to the wider world, or even if she'll truly struggle visibly with sadness. For instance, will her son be that much more precious because he is what she has left of Matthew, or will she be a cold mother, satisfied only that she's produced the heir.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Killing Matthew was the cincher for me that I'm done. I loved Season 1; since then the writing (dialogue) and storytelling have gone pretty badly down hill, to the point of absurdity. Now it feels like the story has been told, played out. Matthew wasn't my favorite character, but he was somehow integral to the whole story. I think he feels like the glue that held together the disparate factions: aristocracy, middle class, and downstairs, and was also the transition between the old ways and the new world. I'm just not interested now.

vCash
    Yes. Every chance. I barely enjoyed any of season 3, and this sealed it for me. Season one was fantastic, 2 enjoyable enough but a bit meh, 3 completely meh, and 4...just not worth watching for me.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast