Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    It gets boring if they keep "killing off" actors who don't want to return

eta: On another note, Mrs. Crawley doesn't act like anxious at all the entire episode. I know she used to be a nurse, but can one play a level-headed nurse all the time?

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Well, looks like Baby Crawley will be of age just in time for World War II.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Well, looks like Baby Crawley will be of age just in time for World War II.
    I don't like the sound of that.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Sheeesh..........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    oh the bright side, on 60 minutes he said he will never kill off lady violet. she would just visit the seaside and never come back.
    Wish he'd done that with all the actors who wanted to leave. They could all just go have a nice long stay at the seaside.

(Like wishing someone into the cornfield, only in a good way!)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yeah, that was gnarly. I was SO glad I was spoiled and braced myself when I watched it, otherwise and
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Oh for crap's sake! I was spoiled about this weeks ago but still....

At this point, Edith has either dodged a bullet or is looking like a genius. Because apparently Crawley grandchildren can't have two parents.

vCash
    For some reason, I feel the most for Mrs Crawley and wonder if Anna will take the blame for the accident somehow. She did order the car after all.
    Last edited by algonquin; 02-18-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Fellowes provides the rationale for Matthew's death in quotes in this article. I think it would have been a lot easier to write Lady Sybil out without killing her off, but I guess they already had grand plans for the Tom character.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...s-Matthew.html
    “If he [Stevens] had been prepared to come back for maybe two or three episodes in a series, that would be different. Then we could have had a foreign posting or invented a career that would have made it possible for him to be away.

“Otherwise we would have had to make this tremendously successful love affair between Mary and Matthew unhappy, which I didn’t feel would be believable.

“For them to then separate and Matthew never set eyes on his son again would not be believable either.

“So we didn’t really have any option. By him dying, their love can remain in tact.”
    The makers of the programme yesterday released a statement explaining the decision, reassuring fans the death was the only credible exit for the heir to Downton.

His "solid and loving marriage" to Lady Mary had meant a separation would be inconceivable, they said.
    Mr AYS and I just joined the DA bandwagon about a week and a half ago - we watched every night to catch up and be able to watch the final episode when it actually aired, and now I'm kind of unhappy I did, because Matthew became one of my favorite characters. Too bad he wasn't willing to even commit to limited episodes. I accidentally found out this happens a few days ago (if the Matthew Crawley Wiki page comes up in a related Google search, you actually see the dates of his life as 1890-1921 without even opening the link) - and it was still hard to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post

Spoiler

Something like this actually occurred to me, but what I think is likely to happen along those lines is that she'll blame herself, others won't.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    It's easier to write off the DC than Sybil or Matthew. Sybil and Matthew are part of a couple and it would be difficult to write them off without figuring out what to do with the actors who play their respective spouses, who I doubt want to be written off the show as well. I mean, sure, it could have been written that Matthew had to help Shrimpy in Bombay on some emergency but it would be more difficult for Matthew just to not be around for long periods of time than it would be for Cranmer to be in Cantebury (even though he played an integral role in Kitty Howard's downfall).

vCash
    Thanks for the article but to me it is poppycock. Fellows IMO could have easily replaced Stevens. Matthew's part could have simply
    been re-casted.
    Last edited by kittyjake5; 02-18-2013 at 01:35 PM.

vCash

Downton Abbey -- Season 3 on PBS

Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    Thanks for the article but to me it is poppycock. Fellows IMO could have easily replaced Stevens. Matthews part could have simply
    been re-casted.
    Do they do that on British shows?

vCash
    Imagine how it was for us British viewers who were totally unspoiled yet had to deal with this in an alleged 'Christmas special' on Christmas night!!! The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. It had nothing to do with Christmas, nothing about the episode was special, and if they had to do it they should have waited for a day other than freakin Christmas!

They should have ended the series rather than killed him off. It's just been going downhill anyway...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post

At this point, Edith has either dodged a bullet or is looking like a genius.
    yes, being single and childless w a little job should be looking pretty good to her right now
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Imagine how it was for us British viewers who were totally unspoiled yet had to deal with this in an alleged 'Christmas special' on Christmas night!!! The whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. It had nothing to do with Christmas, nothing about the episode was special, and if they had to do it they should have waited for a day other than freakin Christmas!
    You have my sympathy, I can definitely see how it would put a damper on the day for folks. I was definitely bummed out by it. It seems as though the producers/writers may have misjudged the emotional attachment people had for the series and the characters and the impact it would have - to air it on Christmas. Or they are simply
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    You have my sympathy, I can definitely see how it would put a damper on the day for folks. I was definitely bummed out by it. It seems as though the producers/writers may have misjudged the emotional attachment people had for the series and the characters and the impact it would have - to air it on Christmas. Or they are simply
    I think it's really tainted my whole view of the series. I'm so bitter about it! After the uplifting 'Call the Midwife' special, I wasn't expecting that ending It would have bummed me out any time, but on Christmas...pure evil
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    Thanks for the article but to me it is poppycock. Fellows IMO could have easily replaced Stevens. Matthew's part could have simply
    been re-casted.
    No one does that any more except on genuine cheap soaps (ie whatever's left of the American ones where they're still filming on VHS and pretending viewers care--guys, when shows that have been running since radio days are getting cancelled, the writing is on the wall, your daytime genre is dead.) People just don't buy the "My, you don't look ANY DIFFERENT AT ALL" stuff any more.

And I could see, if they'd been okay with putting Branson on as a guest only, they could have written Sybil out more easily without killing her (they just live in Ireland) but Matthew it would get kind of old with "Matthew just went upstairs" or "Matthew's been posted to India", though I suppose that could have worked, sorta, kinda, but it wouldn't have been very believable he'd take off and leave Mary and the baby (anyone taking bets it's going to be Baby Matthew?)

Who'd have thought Edith would have the most potentially happy storyline when she's essentially in a modern Jane Eyre? Of course, we've also got Rose coming now (with her mother hopefully staying far far FAR away in India, what an unpleasant person.)

And of course: Mosley is the Butt Monkey. He CANNOT win. Ever.

They continue to amaze me with how I can go hot and cold on Thomas. On the one hand, dumb move. On the other...well played, Fellowes, selfless heroism. And I can believe Thomas would be that nuts. Also loved the bonding with Carson, Mrs. Hughes, and Mrs. Patmore.

New maid: Buh-bye now, buh-bye. Nice knowing you. (Not really.) What a pushy....word I probably can't use here. Ethel was just a bit dim and impulsive and blundered into her problems, she's practically stalking Branson. Who's clearly still rather shell-shocked, silly as that is a year on (I completely believe he's still grieving Sybil and does not want to love again, I just find his social awkwardness and discomfort in his family role more awkward than it should be. Not marrying again or being ready to move on? Believable. But his discomfort with his new job and relationships would make more sense if this had been "six weeks later", not one year later.)

Speaking of implausible ages, considering Isis was a full-grown dog in the first episode (April 1912), meaning at LEAST 9-10 months old and probably older, isn't she getting up there for a Lab? (I know they've actually used a couple different doggy actors, but come on.) Large/meds usually are considered "senior" at eight or so and elderly at 11-12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yeah, that was gnarly. I was SO glad I was spoiled and braced myself when I watched it, otherwise and
    Well, I wasn't spoiled, hence the and in my post last night.

"Entertainment Weekly spoke to Downton exec Gareth Neame to find out why Matthew had to be killed off, how Mary will move on, and where the series goes from here." http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/17/do...matthew-death/

LA Times' review: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1918708.story

Interview with actor Dan Stevens last summer: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,3826712.story
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Maybe this dog is Isis, Jr.!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    please do not comment on the dog's age, look how that worked out on revenge. i just can't do it again.

i wonder if david caruso watched last night's show and screamed, "noooooooooooooooo."
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast