Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    At first, I thought it's really unfair, but then the Lord really bent over backwards for Bates, I mean, paying for the legal expenses and getting his old job back and all. So by contrast, the favor he did to Thomas was by comparison, small.
    good point, plus what is the arrangement for anna and bates to live off campus so to speak? butler and underbutler or whatever it is called probably always have to be available
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I suspect the real reason is they can't make Thomas a footman again, they can't promote Bates, and they don't have any reason to write out the actor.

Any time they'd like to write out O'Brien, though...at least Thomas has SOME sympathetic qualities. O'Brien got that one tiny moment of being sympathetic to Lang (the temporary valet with shell shock) and other than that the only nice things she does are for Cora and motivated by guilt.

BBCA can stop showing TNG, and the even-less-British Battlestar Galactica, and they can quit with the 5000 hours of Doctor Who ANY TIME NOW. (Or get the BBC to let them show the classic episodes for some variety.) I do not understand some of their programming choices...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i love bbc america but it makes me sad that it seems like they spend 23 hrs a day on top gear i really hate it. but i hate cars.
    At least they've been trying to make it better. After the sad mess of the Grant Ancier era - Me and My Big Breasts, repeats of Season 2 of Dancing with the Stars (yep the American version) and the non-pickup of Doctor Who in 2005 - they really have been getting better and better.

Still have a way to go. I agree - still too much of Top Gear.

vCash
    I love some aspects of BBC America. I don't understand their fascination with Gordon Ramsey. I don't hate the guy but he or "Top Gear" are on all of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Any time they'd like to write out O'Brien, though...at least Thomas has SOME sympathetic qualities. O'Brien got that one tiny moment of being sympathetic to Lang (the temporary valet with shell shock) and other than that the only nice things she does are for Cora and motivated by guilt.
    She redeemed herself in my eyes to a certain extent when she realized she had acted wrongly with the soap. Even though it was too late, she did think she was being sacked unfairly because they were advertising for a new maid (for Aunt Violet). And she did suffer for it, paying in her own way.

It is true that she was mean and nasty to Thomas, but he did ask for it with his continual mean slights - for example, when she said she couldn't have handled being jilted at the alter and Thomas said "good thing no one ever asked.

I thought both of them were realistic characters in terms of their resentment at being servants. Plenty would have been.

And O'Brian can be very sarcastic, even witty. She's by no means a one-dimensional character. None of the characters are, really, which is what makes them so interesting.

vCash
    I don't like cars and I like the British "Top Gear." I also like "Dr. Who" and the really wierd sci fi shows they come up for Saturday nights some times. Can't stand Gordon Ramsey in any of his productions - too foul-mouthed and rude.

I'll be sad when there is no more Downton on Sunday nights. It's nice to have a show about PEOPLE instead of incidents.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I love some aspects of BBC America. I don't understand their fascination with Gordon Ramsey. I don't hate the guy but he or "Top Gear" are on all of the time.
    This. One of those is on every time I turn to that channel. I see such good BBC shows through Netflix that I guess I really don't need BBC America. Still, I've been disappointed.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i worked in a lot of restaurants, i'm completely fascinated by the poorly run restaurants on ramsey's shows.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zee703 View Post
    I believe there is only one episode left, unfortunately. Having two hours tonight was great. Is it my imagination or is Lady Edith getting more attractive (noticed it first when she was meeting the magazine editor for the first time)? The biggest surprise for me tonight was Thomas giving Bates a cryptic message for O'Brien (about the soap). I'm surprised he'd kept that to himself once he figured out O'Brien was sticking the proverbial knife in him via Jimmy.
    Yes, I too thought she was getting more attractive. Which means they were making her up to be less attractive?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i worked in a lot of restaurants, i'm completely fascinated by the poorly run restaurants on ramsey's shows.
    I'm not remotely surprised. The only spit-and-polish places I've seen are corporate chains because the owners know they can get inspected any time for more than health violations. Single-owner things...eep. I didn't mind Kitchen Nightmares. I didn't really mind American Kitchen Nightmares. But ye gods, live Christmas cooking, Ramsey Behind Bars, how many shows can one person have?!? Ramsey is ALWAYS. ON. I can only take so many kitchen shows. (And now just to cap it, you've got Restaurant Impossible on Food, and Restaurant Stakeout, which at least usually aims at the front of house, who are generally responsible for 90% of Bad Service as opposed to Bad/Dangerous Food.)

Sadly though I don't think BBCA COULD get Downton, I think it's an ITV show. I could use more costume dramas...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    in my experience, corporate chains are often quite filthy. one chain was so dirty the rats were bigger than the siamese cats i had at the time. another was so dirty, my mother made me disrobe at the back door and wash my uniform and shoes separately. it depends on the general management of that particular store. some of the small single restaurant places i have worked in have been cleaner than most peoples homes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Sadly though I don't think BBCA COULD get Downton, I think it's an ITV show. I could use more costume dramas...
    In this particular case - no, as it was a joint production with PBS. Same with Sherlock. However, in the past BBCA has had to buy their entertainment shows like anyone else (no preferential treatment for the BBC part). They've had shows from ITV before.

I'm not sure that ITV does a lot of costume shows. Anyone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    In this particular case - no, as it was a joint production with PBS. Same with Sherlock. However, in the past BBCA has had to buy their entertainment shows like anyone else (no preferential treatment for the BBC part). They've had shows from ITV before.

I'm not sure that ITV does a lot of costume shows. Anyone?
    I'm pretty sure there was an interview with the cast and PBS at one point that stated that ITV doesn't do a lot of costume drama and ITV tends to go to things like The X Factor instead. Usually it goes to the other British networks.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ How old does the setting for a show have to be before it gets classified as a "costume drama" I wonder. ITV did Heartbeat and The Royal, which were set in the 60s. (The longest 60s ever!)

vCash
    ITV definitely tends to go towards less highbrow stuff than the BBC. It's generally home to things like The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, Dancing on Ice and other pretty horrific weekend programming. They had a celebrity diving show with Tom Daley on which just finished and it was so awful it became a bit like car-crash tv. They do occasionally have some good dramas but they tend to be short mini-series type things or crime things like Midsommer Murders and Lewis. I've always felt that even the news on ITV is a bit dumbed down when you compare it with the BBC. Downton just seems much more along the lines of the kind of thing that the BBC would make, one of the Downton podcasts I listen to (it's called "Up Yours Downstairs" - it's hilarious if you have time to look it up on iTunes!) constantly refers to it being on the BBC; even my mother had forgotten at the start of the last season that it was an ITV programme and kept trying to find it on BBC.

ITV have tried making Mr Selfridge, a series about the start of the shop Selfridges in London. You can tell it's totally trying to jump on the back of the Downton bandwagon - it's in the same slot on a Sunday night. It just doesn't cut it though - I tried to force myself to watch it for the first few weeks but it's nowhere near in the same league as Downton is, in fact it's quite painful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    ITV have tried making Mr Selfridge, a series about the start of the shop Selfridges in London. You can tell it's totally trying to jump on the back of the Downton bandwagon - it's in the same slot on a Sunday night. It just doesn't cut it though - I tried to force myself to watch it for the first few weeks but it's nowhere near in the same league as Downton is, in fact it's quite painful.
    I think that is up next on Masterpiece (PBS) here in the US. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it might also be a joint production situation. I just can't get past the thought of it having Jeremy Piven in it. He's so sleazy.

vCash
    Utterly hilarious interview with Rob James Collier about Thomas and a breakdancing Carson. http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/downt...interview.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Utterly hilarious interview with Rob James Collier about Thomas and a breakdancing Carson. http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/downt...interview.html
    Thanks for the link. He's hilarious. Loved his comments about people who approach him on the street with their similar remarks.

vCash
    LOL, this was fun.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Fun!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast