Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    No, I haven't either. And I'm fairly confident it won't. But wouldn't say 100% certainty about anything in this show. They've thrown some stuff at us before!.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    God, I hope not .. I'll need an airsick bag.
    No need for anyone to worry about needing the swill basin. I think the odds that there would be any feelings remotely unfatherly towards Daisy by her father-in-law is barely more than the likelihood of Carson going off in hot pursuit of Lady Violet -- or Ethel.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I didn't pick up on any hints that William's father feels anything other than fatherly. Not a whiff. I'm positive that's not going to change.
    Ick, I agree. And they explicitly had the conversation in series two where he told her about how he and his wife had other children who didn't survive infancy, William their only surviving child was gone, and he overtly asked her to let him consider her his daughter. I'm not sure if he's ever REALLY cottoned on that Daisy didn't feel like she'd been honest with William, but leaving her the farm (well, tenancy plus stock and equipment) makes sense without any squicky overtones. She's really all he has left in the world. If he doesn't leave it to her, everything would basically have to go to the landlord.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    No, it was made clear that the farm is owned by the estate with Daisy's father-in-law as tenant. He told Daisy he was sure they'd be receptive to her taking over the tenancy if they asked, but that all the equipment and stock was his own.
    Yes, I know he's a tenant farmer ... but I don't recall it ever being said that it was specifically a Downton estate tenancy.

It always seems to be a bit of a journey when Daisy goes to his farm, but of course that doesn't mean anything as the estate could be very wide spread. But there are other landowners in the area too.

Sorry for even bringing up the idea of Mr Mason being anything other than fatherly toward Daisy. I only mention it because I recently got back from visiting my 90-year-old cousin, a farmer, and a very sweet man but randy bugger who will go after anyone in a skirt. Age or family relationship is irrelavant. Not fair to layer that on to y'all, though, so my apologies!

vCash
    There is such a thing as too much information,honest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I caught a whiff of that during their scene together. Very icky.
    Perhaps Fellows was just practicing for the American period drama he's supposedly working on.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I didn't get anything squicky from the Daisy/ William's father thing. He's just a kind old man who has lost his family, and Daisy is the closest thing to family he has left. Besides it has never been legal to marry one's father-in-law in the UK.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    I didn't get anything squicky from the Daisy/ William's father thing. He's just a kind old man who has lost his family, and Daisy is the closest thing to family he has left. Besides it has never been legal to marry one's father-in-law in the UK.
    ITA!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Yes, I know he's a tenant farmer ... but I don't recall it ever being said that it was specifically a Downton estate tenancy.
    I haven't gone back to check, but my recollection of the scene where they talk about the possibility of her taking over had him specifically mention that they like Daisy up at the house and that would make it much more certain that she would be accepted as the new tenant. I certainly took it to mean he was talking about Downton. Also, when William was still around I seem to recall that those at the house knew his father well, presumably because he was a local tenant. As far as the story goes, of course it has to be a Downton farm, otherwise not so important for plot development.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    I haven't gone back to check, but my recollection of the scene where they talk about the possibility of her taking over had him specifically mention that they like Daisy up at the house and that would make it much more certain that she would be accepted as the new tenant. I certainly took it to mean he was talking about Downton. Also, when William was still around I seem to recall that those at the house knew his father well, presumably because he was a local tenant. As far as the story goes, of course it has to be a Downton farm, otherwise not so important for plot development.
    Eh, I interpreted that as just if there were any issues about Daisy inheriting, them at the big house would make sure whoever the landlord is would accept Daisy, not necessarily that he was one of the Earl's tenants. When William's mother was dying and when Daisy goes to visit it's implied they needed quite a bit of travel time, while the Downton tenants seem to be within a short drive or even walk. If the Earl says to the landlord "I don't care if she's a kitchen maid or cook's assistant, she's the man's daughter-in-law and his heir," he's not likely to argue much.

vCash
    There's a lot of Downton humour out there at the moment ... but this is my favourite so far. (And it's re: episode 5 so no spoilers here!)

If Downton Abbey happened entirely on Facebook

So much good funny here, but my faves:

"Tom Branson has posted a new photo in the album Sybil (the baby, not my dead wife)"

"Thomas has checked in to Jimmy Kent's knee."

"Mr Bates is attending the event Stocky Men Over 50 Walking Around and Around In Circles"

vCash
    There's a lot of Downton humour out there at the moment ... but this is my favourite so far. (And it's re: episode 5 so no spoilers here!)

Totally bookmarking this.

My favorite is Lord Grantham has checked in at Isobel Crawley's House. The entire exchange.
    Last edited by znachki; 02-08-2013 at 12:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Totally bookmarking this.

My favorite is Lord Grantham has checked in at Isobel Crawley's House. The entire exchange.
    Yes, that was hilarious. Also the entire exchange of "Mr Travis Attended the event Dinner at Downton Abbey"

All the previous episodes from this season have been done too, but this episode was the best imo.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I caught a whiff of that during their scene together. Very icky.
    really??? I didn't at all.. seemed very fatherly and appropriate to me..

"Tom Branson has posted a new photo in the album Sybil (the baby, not my dead wife)"

"Mr Bates is attending the event Stocky Men Over 50 Walking Around and Around In Circles"
    that is an hilarious site.. thanks for the link
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash

OMG....TOO funny!!
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    "Cora: How's your friend DOCTOR MURDER doing?"

I adore "Life on Facebook" style posts. Slate.com used to do a White House one that was hilarious.

Title-less
    vCash
    I've just watched tonight's 2-hour episode. So is there only one remaining?

vCash
    I believe there is only one episode left, unfortunately. Having two hours tonight was great. Is it my imagination or is Lady Edith getting more attractive (noticed it first when she was meeting the magazine editor for the first time)? The biggest surprise for me tonight was Thomas giving Bates a cryptic message for O'Brien (about the soap). I'm surprised he'd kept that to himself once he figured out O'Brien was sticking the proverbial knife in him via Jimmy.

vCash
    Maybe because it would have come out that he knew virtually since it happened but never said anything?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Thomas, you are not foul because you're gay.

However, the blackmail, petty theft, attempts to sabotage Bates, essentially wounding yourself to get out of the war after trying to get into a cushy non-combat position first, foray into black marketeering, and scheme to 'rescue' Isis after stealing her in the first place might make you want to reconsider other aspects of your life. (To say nothing of the way he treated William before the war, using Daisy to do it....yeah, I would say that being gay is about the one thing about you NOT foul.)

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast