Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    IMO a drama should obey the rules of its own world, not necessarily the rules of the outside world. Sybill's death was consistent with this world and IMO it had some meaning. There was all the discussion of the class differences, the political differences and religious conflict around the future baby's baptism and Sybill's death put all that in perspective in an effective way.

OTOH, if a couple like Mary and Matthew - the center of the whole story - are on-off-on-off and go through hell for something like eight years and finally get married, then spend the beginning of their marriage with financial problems, then try to conceive a child and then ONE HOUR after that child is born Matthew dies in a random accident- now that makes no sense at all in the world of Downton. They would have done better to end the series IMO.
    Agreed.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I think I'll be looking forward to next season's Downton Abbey discussion threads because Matthew's death seems like it will have cleared out a lot of people who have been whinging on about how much it has gone down-hill and how disappointed and disinterested they have been with it the past two seasons. More time for them to spend their leisure hours on more enjoyable past times, less grumbling/grousing posts to read/scroll past for those who still want to watch the show and are curious to see how it continues. Sounds like a win-win situation.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    My first thought after the episode was a romantic match would occur between Mary and the Irish dude (see I don’t even know all their names) as they both have young children, dead spouses, and an interest in turning Downton around financially.
    If it does, it won't be for a while. Just to be safe:

Spoiler

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I have nothing against angst and tragedy inliterature or drama. But everyone needs escapist television and that is what Downton should remain.
    I get it, I get it. I was just teasing you. It was a bit below the belt.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    skatingfan5, you spoke for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I think I'll be looking forward to next season's Downton Abbey discussion threads because Matthew's death seems like it will have cleared out a lot of people who have been whinging on about how much it has gone down-hill and how disappointed and disinterested they have been with it the past two seasons. More time for them to spend their leisure hours on more enjoyable past times, less grumbling/grousing posts to read/scroll past for those who still want to watch the show and are curious to see how it continues. Sounds like a win-win situation.
    Because it's a dreadful thing to have to scroll past -- or heaven forbid, to read -- an opinion that's different from yours.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    No one forces the "disappointed" to watch; or anyone to read these threads.

vCash
    Precisely.

vCash
    Anybody want to bet that the next Downton Abbey on Facebook recap features an exchange like this?

Mrs Crawley: Where r u?
    Matthew Crawley: On my way home no....... :

vCash
    Well now that the season is over for us in the States, you betcha I will be waiting anxiously for season 4 to begin. Given most of the crap that
    is aired on television lately Downton is still first rate in my book. Yes I did find some of the story lines weak like Bates endlessly shuffling around the
    prison yard, Edith being jilted, the possible romance of Edith and her editor who to me looks like a younger version of the jilter.
    But I thought there was a lot of good stuff too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    No one forces the "disappointed" to watch; or anyone to read these threads.
    How could we have known we'd be disappointed before actually watching it?

Plus what's the fun if we're not even allowed to snark a bit? It's not sacred. It's just a TV show, not Michelle Kwan!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    Well now that the season is over for us in the States, you betcha I will be waiting anxiously for season 4 to begin. Given most of the crap that
    is aired on television lately Downton is still first rate in my book. Yes I did find some of the story lines weak like Bates endlessly shuffling around the
    prison yard, Edith being jilted, the possible romance of Edith and her editor who to me looks like a younger version of the jilter.
    But I thought there was a lot of good stuff too.
    I like that he looks (and acts) like a younger version of the jilter--it shows consistency in the character. Most of us have a type, whether we admit it or not.

In general, I really liked this season. Or maybe I just like it when devastating things happen to people richer and prettier than me.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I like that he looks (and acts) like a younger version of the jilter--it shows consistency in the character. Most of us have a type, whether we admit it or not.

In general, I really liked this season. Or maybe I just like it when devastating things happen to people richer and prettier than me.
    I thought that when a lot of wizards got killed off in the last Harry Potter books. Clearly magic doesn't make you immortal, and Rowling was smart enough not to bring Dumbledore or Sirius back just to make Harry or some readers happy. This muggle felt less disadvantaged.

Anyway, Fellowes has to make it up as he goes along and as his actors decide to stay or leave. Considering how popular the series is and the fact that they've already moved it along ten years, I can't wait to see who gets creamed in the blitz.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Snip
    Anyway, Fellowes has to make it up as he goes along and as his actors decide to stay or leave. Considering how popular the series is and the fact that they've already moved it along ten years, I can't wait to see who gets creamed in the blitz.
    I thought Fellowes said the DA storyline would not reach WWII? That this program would end for good following Season 4 (can't remember where I read that but I read it a few months ago). I do remember being upset by his comment. I hope it runs up through WWII and post war. So many events, people (spies, heroes, traitors, etc) to draw upon.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Anybody want to bet that the next Downton Abbey on Facebook recap features an exchange like this?

Mrs Crawley: Where r u?
    Matthew Crawley: On my way home no....... :

Perhaps followed by someone posting a picture of a "Honk if you love Jesus, text while driving if you want to meet him now" bumper sticker.

vCash
    LOL! I love it!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I don't see that happening. At all. Mary has come a long way in her attitudes, but she's still a snob. No way she'd hook up with an ex-chauffeur (his name is Tom Branson, btw), even though she has come to like and respect him. I just don't see Fellowes going that way.

I also think it would be, well, icky. Both of them lost the loves of their lives, and they were very, very different people. It would be disrespectful to the memories, and a cheap cop-out imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Admittedly, it would be very Harlequin Romance to hook those two up.
    I would agree if it happened in the near future. However, over the course of time (talking years, not months), if written and developed a certain way, I could see this happening. For instance, in the shorter term, Mary gets involved with one or more new relationship(s) based on the same values she had in the past, finds this ultimately unfulfilling/unsuccessful, her love for Downton causes her to get more and more absorbed in the changes that Matthew's vision initiated..In the meantime, Tom also has not loved again since Sybil, has become more and more integral to Downton and the family, has gradually become in a way a replacement for Matthew in Robert's esteem, they come together over shared interest and love for the estate, etc, etc.

There is nothing like situation and shared interest to bring people together whom you might not think would belong together.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ^ "Relatively unscathed" still holds true. Given the real-life death toll of both the war and flu, to have a household that large only lose 2 is pretty remarkable.
    The flu pandemic killed about 1% to 3 % worldwide so having only one death in the household is not that surprising.

WWI killed about 10% of the British forces (2/3 in combat, 1/3 from other causes, including flu). I can't remember how many of the household were in the forces (3 ? 4?) , but one death wouldn't be statistically too few.

vCash
    Downton Abbey on Facebook: Season 3 Episode 7:

http://www.happyplace.com/21471/down...on-3-episode-7

"Lord Grantham and 20 others are listening to Evening Bagpipes on Spotify"
    Last edited by znachki; 02-20-2013 at 10:06 PM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    "ghost lf lady sybil: srsly?"
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast