Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my best guess is hymenectomy, it' not very invasive as far as surgeries inside your hoo ha go.
    I thought so too, perhaps an imperforate one? Again, I certainly don't know enough. YAZMEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Well there's nothing much for me to say here - you guys/gals covered it all. I thought cysts too; and I thought it ridiculous that Thomas be saved, yet it was a traumatic moment for him. I suppose the feeling is supposed to be that, as Mrs. Pattmore said to Daisy in Season 1, "HE'S A TORTURED SOUL!" A stupid co-worker of mine today said that gay people grow up to live dishonest lives because of how much they have to hide when they're young. I know what the hell she means, but yeesh, way to call 'em foul. I think "tortured soul" is the best way of putting it.

Before this season started, I had a few wishes/predictions:

- Edith goes flapper cokehead lesbian and teams up with Thomas to go partying all the time.
    - Shirley McClaine and Maggie Smith have a hair war.
    - Thomas finally gits some.

... amongst others. I was off, but not too off on them all.

It was definitely amusing seeing Rosamund, Matthew, and Edith in a jazz club. I thought Rosamund would be more wild, and Edith would follow suit.

Lastly ... don't you think Charlie might notice that his long-ago nanny lived with him in a cottage and brought strange men home and made strange noises? He didn't seem to be that much of a baby when she gave him away.

Now, what year are we supposed to be in?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post

Now, what year are we supposed to be in?
    I think 1922? Sybil died at age 24. Show started when Titanic sunk in 1912. So maybe 1920 or 21, but I think I heard 1922.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I think 1922? Sybil died at age 24. Show started when Titanic sunk in 1912. So maybe 1920 or 21, but I think I heard 1922.
    I think it's still 1920. Sybil was said to be pregnant at Christmas 1919, so baby Sybil was born around August 1920. She's only a month or so old at the end of the last episode.

That also makes sense- sybil was around 16 in 1912, and 24 when she died.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've been wondering the same about the procedure. It would have to be minor and performed vaginally. Isn't Yazmeen an ob/gyn? We should ask her.
    Are you actually looking for realism in a soap opera, IceAlisa? Have you also researched the mechanism by which Matthew jumped out of his wheelchair just because his fiancée tripped?

Mary's operation works because of the rules peculiar to soap operas, i.e. she must have a baby by the Christmas special. Which is as it should be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Are you actually looking for realism in a soap opera, IceAlisa? Have you also researched the mechanism by which Matthew jumped out of his wheelchair just because his fiancée tripped?

Mary's operation works because of the rules peculiar to soap operas, i.e. she must have a baby by the Christmas special. Which is as it should be.
    Shhhh....my pseudo-intellectual friends and relatives don't know it is a soap. It is aired on PBS, set in the past and they all have British accents except Cora. Don't you know that makes it a deeply intellectual show for smart people???? It isn't for us dumb schmucks that watch American television and movies and don't understand that when the guys on British Top Gear destroy cars it is smart television while when the guys on American Top Gear destroy cars it is just stupidity. The British guys destroy cars while speaking with British accents, you see.

I hear about this from my cousin on Facebook approximately every third day and in IRL every time I see her.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    By the way, where was Bates keeping score during the cricket match, a shed?
    Yes. Specifically, a cricket score shed, with the score displayed on the outside. In newer models, the person keeping score on the inside can also manipulate the outside score display, just like at community baseball diamonds, but as we saw at Downton the services of someone on the outside is required to physically lift the numbers into place. No small task when cricket scores can go into the hundreds!

I know very little about how the game is played (and when someone tried to explain the rules to me it tends to cause nosebleeds), but since cricket score sheds have more than once featured in the various British murder mysteries I like to read and watch ...

vCash
    I assumed Matthew's rising from his chair was by the same mechanism which allows mothers to overturn 2-ton vehicles to rescue their children. Admittedly, the potential damage of a teacup is much less desperate than losing the life of one's child, but ...

Yes, and perhaps there is some tiny sand grain of reality around which the pearl of this plot device was developed. Really, can't we hope and search for at least a crumb of reality upon which to nourish our willing suspension of disbelief?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Oh, Mary had a D&C. I had about five of them when I still had plumbing. Too much gunk=no pregnancy.

(Please do not ask where I got my medical degree. )
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Oh, Mary had a D&C. I had about five of them when I still had plumbing. Too much gunk=no pregnancy.

(Please do not ask where I got my medical degree. )
    Thanks you! Your explanation is just what we were looking for --- and your medical terminology is perfect!
    Also, I now can well understand why Mary was reluctant to discuss her uterine "gunk removal" with Matthew over tea.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Well, in Matthew's case, I think the implication was some of his "paralysis" as this point was more psychosomatic-his spine was bruised/under pressure and healing, but he hadn't walked, he had been told he'd NEVER walk, ergo he couldn't walk-until something snapped him into acting without thinking. (And I think the worry wasn't for the teacups but Lavinia smacking her head on something, considering she couldn't really stop her own fall with the heavy tray in front of her.) With Mary-they could be removing fibroids, hymen, scar tissue (though I would think it would have to be not that far up the system) like from endometriosis.

And don't be dissing either Top Gear. Most of us hardcore UK-Top Gear fans are coming around to the American show, now that they've stopped trying desperately to copy everything about the British show down to the inflection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    And don't be dissing either Top Gear. Most of us hardcore UK-Top Gear fans are coming around to the American show, now that they've stopped trying desperately to copy everything about the British show down to the inflection.
    I just grow very tired of this cousin and her alcoholic dolt of a Scottish husband explaining to us every five minutes that anything with a British accent is deep and intellectual and we are all just stupid Americans. It doesn't matter what accent you have, destroying cars is destroying cars and is not ever going to be an exercise in intellectualism. And Downton is still a soap opera regardless of who made it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Shhhh....my pseudo-intellectual friends and relatives don't know it is a soap. It is aired on PBS, set in the past and they all have British accents except Cora. Don't you know that makes it a deeply intellectual show for smart people????
    Sorry!
    The production is beautiful and it is wonderfully directed and acted. So what's wrong with it's being a soap?

It isn't for us dumb schmucks that watch American television and movies and don't understand that when the guys on British Top Gear destroy cars it is smart television while when the guys on American Top Gear destroy cars it is just stupidity. The British guys destroy cars while speaking with British accents, you see.
    That's funny, then why do US networks do remakes of so many British series instead of showing the real ones?

There is some seriously good television in the US. For instance, after watching "The Wire", most other police dramas seem so fake to me. That is a terrific show (yes, there are a few British actors, but even without them it would still be terrific.) Also, many UK actors seem to think that "Breaking Bad" is the pinnacle of television drama (haven't seen it).

vCash
    asli--I LOVE Downton. I have no problem with it being a soap. I just know four people who believe it is not a soap because it is 1--on PBS, 2--British, 3--a period show. And all four of them are kind of snobs. About everything.

We don't get BBC America and thus do not get the British version of Top Gear. Never seen it. But I have a hard time believing that the concept of Top Gear could be made "intellectual". It is however notable that American shows get "remade" in international versions as well. It seems to be a trend with reality shows in particular. A list from wikipedia of originally American shows with UK versions based on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series

vCash
    Surely after her affair with Pamuk, Lady Mary would not need a hymenectomy?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    you can have remnants of the hymen after sex
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I just grow very tired of this cousin and her alcoholic dolt of a Scottish husband explaining to us every five minutes that anything with a British accent is deep and intellectual and we are all just stupid Americans.
    I've got two words for him: Benny Hill

vCash
    asli--I LOVE Downton. I have no problem with it being a soap. I just know four people who believe it is not a soap because it is 1--on PBS, 2--British, 3--a period show. And all four of them are kind of snobs. About everything.

We don't get BBC America and thus do not get the British version of Top Gear. Never seen it. But I have a hard time believing that the concept of Top Gear could be made "intellectual". It is however notable that American shows get "remade" in international versions as well. It seems to be a trend with reality shows in particular. A list from wikipedia of originally American shows with UK versions based on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series

Once I made the mistake of watching about ten minutes of the British Top Gear and nearly got hairy from the splash of testosterone from my screen. Ewww.

I don't watch any reality shows, but it makes sense for every country to make its own version, so that the contestants look like the girls and boys next door. The US imports many British formats too, including Dancing on Ice and America's Got Talent.

As for the drama, as a rule American series are shown in their original versions throughout the world. We have all grown up with US TV. The number of drama among the list of programmes you have given is not even a drop in the ocean, when you think of the number of US shows broadcast in their original version throughout the world. OTOH, the number of British shows that are remade for the US is vastly superior to the ones shown in the original version. What's wrong with the ordinary American seeing a bit of the "outside world"? I mean the actual, contemporary outside world, not the butler serving tea to ladies dressed in lace!

vCash
    Once I made the mistake of watching about ten minutes of the British Top Gear and nearly got hairy from the splash of testosterone from my screen. Ewww.

I don't watch any reality shows, but it makes sense for every country to make its own version, so that the contestants look like the girls and boys next door. The US imports many British formats too, including Dancing on Ice and America's Got Talent.

As for the drama, as a rule American series are shown in their original versions throughout the world. We have all grown up with US TV. The number of drama among the list of programmes you have given is not even a drop in the ocean, when you think of the number of US shows broadcast in their original version throughout the world. OTOH, the number of British shows that are remade for the US is vastly superior to the ones shown in the original version. What's wrong with the ordinary American seeing a bit of the "outside world"? I mean the actual, contemporary outside world, not the butler serving tea to ladies dressed in lace!
    I really didn't mean to start a whole thing about American vs. British television. We have always watched a fair share of both. I introduced my husband to the Brit version of The Office which I own on dvd. I like both versions for different reasons (yes, I know, that is a sin against culture). I just think it is really narrow to think that one culture is automatically ALWAYS smart and another is automatically ALWAYS stupid. And I would say that if we were inadvertently arguing about Japanese vs. Filipino television or whatever. All countries are capable of producing smart entertainment and all are capable of producing dumb entertainment.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Are you actually looking for realism in a soap opera, IceAlisa? Have you also researched the mechanism by which Matthew jumped out of his wheelchair
    Honestly, I did give it some thought. Asked a doctor about it. I am a geek.
    Yazmeen never showed up but Dr. PRLady to the rescue.

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast