Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I cried and cried. Sybil was my favorite of the sisters, I'm so sad... I thought it was brilliantly written and acted.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post

Too bad yelling "magnesium sulfate" did nothing.
    makes you appreciate modern medicine all over again.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I had tears in my eyes when Sybil died & yet I knew it was coming,,,had to for the drama. I just wish they'd get Bates out of prison before someone kills him. And does anyone know what is going to happen to Matthew on Feb 17? It was mentioned in this week's TV Guide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Well, that was a 3-hankie episode.
    I knew what was going to happen, and I still cried like crazy

I somehow knew things were going to go bad for Sybil as soon as I saw they'd hired "Ronald Merrick" as her doctor.
    I know right?

And ITA about Dame Maggie. As much as I love her witty one-liners, her grief-stricken scene was beyond compare.
    Maggie was impeccable. I had just been thinking last week that she'd almost ben reduced to nothing but the one liners, and then she gets to do this. But, everyone's performances were a step up. My gawd Thomas - THOMAS - of all people. That just, wow.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I had remained unspoiled, so I didn't see that coming.

Trying to remember other instances when Dr. Clarkson screwed up . . . Season 1 with the getting the liquid out of the heart (Lady Crawley's suggestion), the rash on the hands, what else?

As for Lord Grantham, between losing his wife's fortune and the decision to use Dr. Arrogant, he's in the dog house. Every decision he makes is a bad one.

My own dad is a surgeon, and he said there was of course no guarantee Sybil would have lived with the cesarean anyhow, since there wasn't much of a way to control blood pressure and brain swelling back then.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Dr. Clarkson misdiagnosed Matthew's back injury but that would have been very easy to do. His recovery was unlikely. And it's not like that had MRI's back then. And yes, a C-section was certainly no guarrantee either.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I really can't see the Matthew/Mary marriage working out. She seems to be giving him the cold shoulder, more and more. I think that he would have been better off with Edith who is warm and whose intellectual-rebellion (writing to the papers) seems more in line with his own viewpoint of the world.

Hopefully they will resolve this Bates issue soon. Is anybody else getting tired of it?

I was surprised that Isobel was willing to let Mrs. Bird go in order to keep Ethel - obviously Mrs. Bird was surprised by that fact as well.

Apparently Mrs. O'Brien was aware of Thomas' sexual orientation and is hoping to either catch Thomas making a pass at James or hoping someone else will do so. Exit Thomas, thinks Mrs. O'Brien but I am not so sure about that!

Daisy, Daisy, grow up! This time, listen to Mrs. Patmore.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Of course it had to be the most angelic of the sisters: When they sided with Dr. Arrogant I knew she was in deep trouble but I didn't know if JF would write her out. Brave but sad choice...
    I've heard that the actress wanted out.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I've heard that the actress wanted out.
    Why would anyone want out unless they have bigger fish to fry? I wouldn't think that she does.

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    still sad, the scene was really well done, as was dame jean mcgonagall's scene toward the end

although i think part of my shallow sadness is that i thought she was the prettiest

matthew's mom has all kinds of good intentions but she is also all kinds of irritating, i wonder how long she will eat offal before she cries uncle
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I think she might, actually. She has a few films in the works, and she's rumored to be in the running for the Captain America sequel.

(That was in response to IceAlisa -- forgot to use the quote feature!)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    still sad, the scene was really well done, as was dame jean mcgonagall's scene toward the end
    McGonaggall is Da Bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    although i think part of my shallow sadness is that i thought she was the prettiest
    She was the prettiest and the nicest too. But I admit I kinda like how and complicated Mary is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I think she might, actually. She has a few films in the works, and she's rumored to be in the running for the Captain America sequel.

(That was in response to IceAlisa -- forgot to use the quote feature!)
    Good for her! I didn't realize she was such hot property.

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Why would anyone want out unless they have bigger fish to fry? I wouldn't think that she does.
    Many British actors leave successful series mid-run, even without having somewhere else to go. There seems to be more of an inclination among British actors (as opposed to American ones) to favour variety over stability or longevity of a role. And I'm sure no one involved in Downton Abbey knew when they started how hugely popular (and potentially long-running) it would be. It was originally conceived as a single season of 7 episodes, after all.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Many British actors leave successful series mid-run, even without having somewhere else to go. There seems to be more of an inclination among British actors (as opposed to American ones) to favour variety over stability or longevity of a role. And I'm sure no one involved in Downton Abbey knew when they started how hugely popular (and potentially long-running) it would be. It was originally conceived as a single season of 7 episodes, after all.
    Thanks, that is interesting. I've heard that Dame Maggie wanted out too. But with her I can understand--it's so tiring. But of course, I wish she stays forever and outlives them all.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Well, if not "bigger" fish, then maybe she would just like to fry some other fish? She's in an upcoming fantasy movie (Winter's Tale) as the love interest of Colin Farrell and is listed in the cast of another film (set in more modern times) now in pre-production. As to whether or not these will turn out to be "bigger fish" remains to be seen.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches LaTour View Post
    I really can't see the Matthew/Mary marriage working out. She seems to be giving him the cold shoulder, more and more. I think that he would have been better off with Edith who is warm and whose intellectual-rebellion (writing to the papers) seems more in line with his own viewpoint of the world.

Hopefully they will resolve this Bates issue soon. Is anybody else getting tired of it?
    Seems like once Matthew & Mary got married, they do not seem like newlyweds at all.
    And yes, Bates in prison is getting tiresome! Hopefully it will end soon.

I saw the actress that plays Sybil - in a photo of a film with Russell Crowe - good for her!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sounds like the actress who plays Sybil is up and coming.

Bates. Enough already. It's really hard to care what happens there even though I know I should care. I just don't.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thanks, that is interesting. I've heard that Dame Maggie wanted out too. But with her I can understand--it's so tiring. But of course, I wish she stays forever and outlives them all.
    Hear, hear! She's the best part of the whole thing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I had remained unspoiled, so I didn't see that coming.
    Trying to remember other instances when Dr. Clarkson screwed up . . . Season 1 with the getting the liquid out of the heart (Lady Crawley's suggestion), the rash on the hands, what else?
    Well, the heart issue wasn't a misdiagnosis - it was him being too conservative and afraid to take a chance on the procedure. I forgot if he actually looked at Mosely's hands or just took assumed Isabel was right about the erysipelas (which of course he shouldn't have - he certainly skipped any history taking).

The other major one was Lavinia, but with her condition changing so fast it's probable nothing could have been done, especially with the medical equipment available then.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I forgot, did it turn out to be contact dermatitis with Mosely?

from Speedy Death

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast