Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Suggestion for K cup brewer

I got a $200 Macy's gift card and want to buy a K cup brewer. My only definite is that I need one that can use the refillable filter (those cups are expensive and bad for the environment). Any pros/cons and model suggestions?

vCash
    I've got the Keurig K70. 5 sizes, quiet brew technology, rinse feature (good if you do the cider or any sugar drink k-cups), and a hot water button. Came with a filter and 30 kcups, most of which I gave to my mom (who has an older Keurig).

Their customer service is amazing - our first one broke, and they shipped a new one immediately. I just had to send back a part. Mom took it when she moved, I bought myself one after I paid off my car (a present to me).

I use the refillable cup and grind my own beans. Makes it easier to blend coffee and get the strength I like. Very convenient in the morning when I fill up my thermal mug and go.

The plastic cups can get expensive, but there's always a sale at Kohls, Macy's or the other stores. When I used them, I just cut them open, dumped out the grounds, and recycled the plastic parts at Whole Foods. They're fun when people are over who want different flavors/decaf and you don't want to deal with the grounds dump after every cup.

I know there are other models and brands out there, but the Keurig really is a good one. Happy shopping!

vCash
    We have a B60 which has since been replaced with the K45. Ours does 3 sizes, but I really think I would enjoy having one that did travel mug size.

Any Keurig or Keurig compatible will take the reusable cups. For cups, my favorite is the Ekobrew. It's cheap, holds a lot of coffee, and is practically indestructible.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I bought a Keurig brand "My K Cup" refillable filter and it works fine with my earlier model Keurig Mini. But recently I bought an online deal (Groupon or Teambuy or one of those) that included 3 refillable filters, but the friggin' things don't fit my machine! Grr. The original one I bought is still fine, but I wanted a couple of spares just because I find that they're sooo much easier to clean when the grounds have dried out.

Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    The plastic cups can get expensive, but there's always a sale at Kohls, Macy's or the other stores. When I used them, I just cut them open, dumped out the grounds, and recycled the plastic parts at Whole Foods. They're fun when people are over who want different flavors/decaf and you don't want to deal with the grounds dump after every cup.
    I recycle the whole thing: the grounds & filter go in the green bin, and the plastic & top go in the city recycling. But I know a lot of places don't take un-numbered plastics or compound materials.

I keep writing to the various k-cup manufacturers, asking them to change over to numbered plastics ...

vCash
    you can buy the filters on ebay pretty cheap

vCash
    I'm thinking of getting another Keurig brewer too. I purchased it at Costco but it died withing 1.5 years, out of warranty. That was over a year ago. I think I'm ready but I will purchase the next one at Bed Bath and Beyond, I've been told they're pretty good about replacing Keurig machines. My only requirement is that it's programmable so I get my coffee ASAP in the morning.

vCash
    San Francisco Bay Coffee Company has some decent coffee and recyclable pods. I've also noticed some knockoff Kcups out there from store brands (Wegmans for one). I guess as the patent expired, more places jumped into the act.

MHH - Ours was a few months out of warranty when it died, but since our first issue was during the warranty period (clogged lines), they replaced it. I found the Keurig CS people to be fabulous to deal with.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I bought some coffee at Kroger that were not plastic cups, they were soft cup-shaped pods. It was a Kroger brand - maybe Private Selection? Anyway, my husband said they were quite good and there was no plastic to waste.

vCash
    I have a single serve coffee maker that uses pods rather than cups. I am quite happy with it. I don't quite understand why, in today's environmentally-conscious world, k-cups took off as much as they did. Sure you can get a reusable filter rather than using the plastic k-cups, but many (most?) of us are too lazy to do that (I am anyway)! I like the convenience of the pods, without any of the plastic (I have a reusable filter for my machine, but rarely use it because the pods are much easier). Of course, you don't have the same variety available in the pods, at least not at your typical grocery store.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Cameron's coffee no plastic cups, really good coffee and a great price too. I get this in our local grocery store for $4.99
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    Cameron's coffee no plastic cups, really good coffee and a great price too. I get this in our local grocery store for $4.99
    The problem with that design is that it cancels out one of the biggest advantages of the K-cup: the vacuum seal to maintain freshness. That is the biggest selling point on k-cups to me (other than convenience), the consistently fresh taste.

Nor are those cupless designs completely plastic free -- they still have a plastic frame (which, IIRC from the time I tried them, is thicker plastic than the k-cups, so might actually be close to the same amount of plastic in total).

But I agree that there's a lot of waste associated with k-cups. And although I do use the fill-your-own filter cups when I'm craving a particular variety, I use the K-cups more often. Because if I want to take the time to do the grind & brew method ... well, I'll just use my French press. But I'm lucky in that I can recycle all the bits -- if I couldn't, I simply wouldn't have a Keurig.

vCash
    My Keurig has a water reservoir and three sizes. I think it was from Target around $150 regular price - it's the one you can find most places on sale for around $110. We have two of the My K Cup filter things. We got the first when we got the machine, and just got the second from Amazon about a week ago for about $5. We have that prime thing, so the shipping was free. I really like the K cup for coffee for my mother. I use the machine myself mostly just for water to go over my tea bag or loose leaf tea. Cleaning the refillable filter is much easier when it is dry.
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    We have an old Keurig machine at work and I am in charge of k-cups orders. I seem to be the only eco-conscious person in the office as it pains me to see k-cup waste. I bought MyKCup at BedBathAndBeyond, but failed miserably at brewing tea with it. Is there a trick to the type of tea leaves or coffee to be used?
    We had an offer to switch to the pod system, but my colleagues seem to be attached to specific kcup flavors. What do I do? =)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka View Post
    We have an old Keurig machine at work and I am in charge of k-cups orders. I seem to be the only eco-conscious person in the office as it pains me to see k-cup waste. I bought MyKCup at BedBathAndBeyond, but failed miserably at brewing tea with it. Is there a trick to the type of tea leaves or coffee to be used?
    We had an offer to switch to the pod system, but my colleagues seem to be attached to specific kcup flavors. What do I do? =)
    I switched to the Ekobrew. It has a larger mesh area and is flat on the bottom. For coffee, I find that the standard grind from Dunkin is just right, while typical grocery store coffee is too coarse and Melita is too fine. For tea, you'll need something with some oomph, like Barrys or a Sri Lankan. The water only goes over the tea for about 30 seconds, so you need to start with a fine chop.

vCash
    Thanks for all the ideas. I've been in bed with one of the worst cases of the flu in my life since Christmas.

I just want quick, hot coffee that doesn't require a pod or k cup. My city has single stream recycling. It's not that they wouldn't get recycled. I just don't want to use the plastic in the first place. I also think they're a ripoff and I have some really yummy coffees of my own that I want to use.

vCash
    Hope you feel better soon!

Why not get an upgraded fancy coffee machine? It sounds like a K cup brewer might not be the coffee maker of your dreams. There's some great machines out there that grind the beans and then brew into a thermal pot. There's also espresso machines on sale. You've got $200 to spend and a ton of post holiday sales.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I switched to the Ekobrew. It has a larger mesh area and is flat on the bottom. For coffee, I find that the standard grind from Dunkin is just right, while typical grocery store coffee is too coarse and Melita is too fine. For tea, you'll need something with some oomph, like Barrys or a Sri Lankan. The water only goes over the tea for about 30 seconds, so you need to start with a fine chop.
    Don't think we'll switch from K-cups in the near future, so the least I can do is show people the benefit of myKcup. Thanks for the tip on a fine grain tea. I suppose I can check what's inside kcups to estimate how finely or coarsely to grind coffee. Right?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    the mykcup is diabolical. i used it once and cleaning it out was a nightmare and counterproductive if you have a keurig to make as little effort as possible. it's too bad because my favorite coffees dont come in kcups.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    the mykcup is diabolical. i used it once and cleaning it out was a nightmare and counterproductive if you have a keurig to make as little effort as possible. it's too bad because my favorite coffees dont come in kcups.
    Ekobrew or Brew&Save are much easier to clean. Cheaper, too.

vCash
    I want a k cup machine because I only want one small cup in seconds. And I suck at making coffee. I figure I can't screw up dumping coffee into the my k cup thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast