vCash

Dance Moms Season 3

Has anyone been watching?? I can't believe all the moms left last episode! Especially Maddie's mom! And that new girl, Sophia is really good. Some competition for Maddie and Chloe when they come back (I'm pretty sure they will). Does anyone think Brooke and Paige will come back?

vCash
    So embarrassed...........but I have become totally addicted to this show! Yvette is insane.............really. I hope Brooke and Paige don't come back. I love each when they are "on", but Paige lies, and Brooke is so non-invested, drives me nuts.

I could not believe Holly went along with all that . Little Sophia is dazzling........although her mom's face is so weirdly sculpted. I really liked the mom with the short hair, and the new girl who had the lead in Angels and Demons.

I wouldn't mind if Abby took it down a notch.

I know the show is called "Dance Moms" but did they really think it was about them..........as in they could dictate who should be on the dance team? Or what mom's should be allowed.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I don't know about Sophia--besides the chipmunk teeth and voice to match, she's one of those baby ballerinas where I'm kind like "Yeah, you're flexible and quick and cute, see me in five inches and forty pounds and we'll see if you really have something." Maddie's slowed down as she's grown, too. She's also not quite a good look match with the rest of the 'new team', who are all taller and longer-limbed, though I suppose she brings the age down. But overall those four looked a lot more cohesive than the "main" team. Also some better (ie more mature, I think) technique.

I don't really blame Brooke for not being "invested" as I don't think she REALLY wants to dance that intensely! Note she's the one who basically pointed out it's about does her MOM want to go back. And Paige is cute, and not bad or anything, but maybe Kelly ought to consider that her older daughter isn't all that interested in dance and her younger daughter is maybe not being given staring and spotlight roles because she's not as good as Maddie or Chloe--even Nia's a better soloist now. And it's pretty clear, or ought to be, Abby's not running a youth soccer league where every kid gets a turn and a trophy. I realize some of it is probably knowing that throwing tantrums for the camera is good TV, but it really makes her look like a psycho.

vCash
    Sophia is amazing! She's better than Maddie for sure. You should YouTube her (Sophia Lucia); she's freakin' awesome!

Of course the girls are going to comeback but I do think that Brooke wants to do other things and that Paige is more interested in modeling, which she'd be good at b/c she's a gorgeous little girl. What's going to be interesting is if Sophia stays on the team for more than just a week or so. If that's the case then it's going to be Sophia vs Maddie and Chloe probably won't even get a solo...

I sincerely hope we won't see Yvette anymore. I HATED her on the Ultimate Dancer competition thing (that was really good too in case you didn't watch it). Her daughter, Hadley, was okay but Yvette made me want to punch the wall she's so damn annoying. She's like 10x worse than Cathy if you can believe it...

I thought the group Abby put together was very good. Several of them were better than the members current only the team (namely Paige, Kendall and Nia who are all good but not as good as Chloe and Maddie and definitely not good as the girls Abby added to her B team).

I love this show. I can tell some of it is totally scripted but I do love the girls and I love the dancing. All of the ridiculous drama is just an added bonus...

vCash
    I watched some episodes, but couldn't stomach Abby. I just found myself thinking 'she needs to get laid' whenever I watched. But I happened to catch the reunion show, and realized that it's the moms who are nuts.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    OMG. I don't watch this show and refuse to, because it's everything I loathe about aspects of the dance community. But I broke down and read a few threads above and decided to look at the videos of that little Sophia child. I am literally sick. Don't tell me "OK, then don't watch it" because frankly I won't be watching any more videos of her or anything to do with this kind of competition crap. The child is a great athlete and has nice lines. She can do some tricks. But it makes me ill to see her tarted up like a pint sized hooker thrusting and prancing around in cheap costumes and makeup. OK, the costumes might be expensive but they look cheap as in trash.

There are some legitimate dance competitions, and many that are just deplorable. I work in the dance world. I don't mind competitions if they have high standards, but trotting out children to writhe about like prostitutes is sick.

Sophia is talented. But if she isn't careful, a lot of this "contemporary-lyrical" pseudo choreography is going to ruin her. I think it's the turned-in pirouettes that get to me the most. You might say, "well, that's just the way they do it with that kind of technique" and I say BS. They do it because it's easier than doing it correctly.

Let's put Sophia in the Youth America Grand Prix performing a classical variation and a well choreographed jazz piece. I bet she would be fantastic with good coaching and choreography and a costume that didn't scream "pedophile fantasy." or, in the words of Patsy from "Ab Fab"......."the world is her gynecologist!"

Thanks for letting me rant. This stuff makes me ill.

vCash
    I watched until one episode made the girls look nude. It made me feel terrible. I'm really conservative about how children should look wholesome. So I can't watch anymore, it feels wrong.

My daughter took several years of dance and for her first recital I asked to see the costume before paying. I was told parents weren't allowed to see the costumes until they came in. I told the owner that rule made me nervous and she said, "Our kids will always look like kids, fishnets are not allowed in my studio."

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post

Sophia is talented. But if she isn't careful, a lot of this "contemporary-lyrical" pseudo choreography is going to ruin her. I think it's the turned-in pirouettes that get to me the most. You might say, "well, that's just the way they do it with that kind of technique" and I say BS. They do it because it's easier than doing it correctly.
    I don't appreciate most of it when adults are doing it, never mind kids. And what sticks out for me is they all use the same bag of quasi-dance, quasi-gymnastics tricks that are easy for most kids before the puberty monster arrives, when they're older....Brooke isn't even that old and she's already lost more flexibility than can be written off as slacking. I have to wonder what the pretzel-bending is doing to their spines.

As far as the makeup and costumes go, eh. I'm not shocked or anything. One of the outfits last night for a solo (I think whatshername who was on the other show--I only watched a couple episodes of that and was bored with it) had a sash/cowl connecting the bra top to the shorts that made me snicker, because in ballroom you see that kind of detailing on costumes for ladies of a certain age who are less than confident about their midsections. (In ballroom, kids these age are almost exclusively limited to plain stretch dresses with high necks, long sleeves, and skirts approaching the knees. Once in a while an NDCA event permits costumes, but nothing considered "inappropriate.") I found Sohpia's hair and makeup less too sophisticated than I did unflattering. She might be a cute kid, I guess, but it's doing her no favors.