Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Hmmm, anyone who is actually planning to bid on an item who is deeply concerned about "portion" allotments can certainly inquire before bidding, or defer from bidding, or gape curiously, desirously, deliriously, wistfully, jealously, disapprovingly, or prudishly at the ten pages of items, or NONE of the aforementioned.

Whatever monies are donated to the charity will surely be welcomed and put to good use. And those who have enough money to bid, especially on some of the more expensive items are likely to have an interest in Johnny and his skating career, as well as a desire to spend money on the items, assist Johnny and benefit his charity. Those who have an interest in finding fault and worrying about "legitimacy" should probably nitpick elsewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Hmmm, anyone who is actually planning to bid on an item who is deeply concerned about "portion" allotments can certainly inquire before bidding, or defer from bidding, or gape curiously, desirously, deliriously, wistfully, jealously, disapprovingly, or prudishly at the ten pages of items, or NONE of the aforementioned.
    Amazing how you can take a supportive suggestion and read it as an anti-Johnny criticism.

Maybe there are potential buyers who will become actual buyers, as opposed to just looky-loos, if they know how much of their money is going to go to the charity. People might actually spend more if they know what that portion is and want to make sure that the charity gets a certain amount of $$$.

Whatever monies are donated to the charity will surely be welcomed and put to good use.
    Did I say they wouldn't?

And those who have enough money to bid, especially on some of the more expensive items are likely to have an interest in Johnny and his skating career, as well as a desire to spend money on the items, assist Johnny and benefit his charity.
    Did I say they wouldn't?

Those who have an interest in finding fault and worrying about "legitimacy" should probably nitpick elsewhere.
    And those who interpret absolutely everything associated with Johnny as perfect and flawless should probably be posting on a Johnny fan board instead of a general discussion board.
    Last edited by overedge; 01-11-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    You seem rather defensive overedge. I wasn't referring exclusively to your post, despite mentioning your reference to "legitimacy."

Likely the only thing "perfect" and "flawless" about Johnny Weir is his facial skin, as per Tim Goebel's recent comments in Jenny's & Dave's Skating Lesson Podcast. Johnny's triple axel and most of his effortless-looking jump landings back at his peak were definitely textbook and "flawless." As far as Johnny himself, and especially "yours truly," nada perfecto (or vice versa ). Who is?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I guess the question is did he actually buy all that stuff or were they gifts?? I don't understand how someone with limited funds can purchase stuff like that and give the impression they are a struggling athlete in need of support.

I also never support a fundraising where an undisclosed portion goes to charity. I want to know what percentage and where the rest goes. When I give to charity I want as much as possible to go there. When I need to clean out my closet I give the overflow to diabetes, epilepsy and those that have thrift stores to sell donations.
    Would you actively boycott an event that you would be otherwise interested in, if they said an undisclosed portion goes to charity?

I mean, you could always donate to the charity directly. I don't really understand the furor over being "hoodwinked" by a fundraising event.

If Johnny has things he wants to sell, I don't begrudge him for making a bit of money. True, he runs the risk of being seen as "desperate" if he sells his possessions on ebay, but that's his choice. And if he's clearing out his closets and downsizing his material possessions, then good for him.

Hopefully he doesn't end up like my aunt, who downsized to a smaller house and got rid of a lot of stuff from her shopoholic tendencies, only to fill up the new house with more stuff. But it is what it is.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Hey, Alf and Johnny seem to be the same size. Maybe I can use this opportunity to make him FABULOUS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    If Johnny has things he wants to sell, I don't begrudge him for making a bit of money. True, he runs the risk of being seen as "desperate" if he sells his possessions on ebay, but that's his choice. And if he's clearing out his closets and downsizing his material possessions, then good for him.
    Hopefully he doesn't end up like my aunt, who downsized to a smaller house and got rid of a lot of stuff from her shopoholic tendencies, only to fill up the new house with more stuff. But it is what it is.
    Johnny and his husband live in a small two bedroom apartment in New Jersey, chances are there is limited closet space and rather than pay to put stuff in storage, this was a good opportunity for Johnny clean his closets, give his fans a chance to own something that belonged to him and in the process help raise money for a good cause.

vCash
    You seem rather defensive overedge. I wasn't referring exclusively to your post, despite mentioning your reference to "legitimacy."
    So you just randomly happened to post your comments a few minutes after I did, but you weren't referring to my post. Nice try, but it's not working.

Likely the only thing "perfect" and "flawless" about Johnny Weir is his facial skin, as per Tim Goebel's recent comments in Jenny's & Dave's Skating Lesson Podcast. Johnny's triple axel and most of his effortless-looking jump landings back at his peak were definitely textbook and "flawless." As far as Johnny himself, and especially "yours truly," nada perfecto (or vice versa ). Who is?
    Well, judging by the number of critical remarks you have ever made on anything involving him, which is also pretty close to "nada" - plus your predictable flying off the handle and foaming at the mouth at any posts you see as critical of him - you apparently are convinced he is.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    ^^ Obviously, I was referring to your post, overedgy, just not exclusively, as I said.

As I've probably said for the umpteenth time, there are way more than enough criticisms of Johnny here on FSU, so I tend to avoid piling on. But I've certainly made some "critical" comments about Johnny, believe it or not. In any case, I didn't realize it was a contest, or that anyone has been spending time counting.

Anyway, I'm not interested in winning any awards for the Most Critical Comments Made About Johnny Weir on FSU, or indeed for Fewest Critical Comments Made About Johnny Weir on FSU. I do plead guilty to having a less "flying off the handle, foaming at the mouth" view of Johnny Weir than the usual FSU suspects do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    it really is the typical gay lifestyle - especially here in NYC... spending FAR more money than what is being earned so that one can appear FABULOUS and A List... In reality , there is a mountain of debt behind all of it.. What comes next , I have seen far too often....

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Well, judging by the number of critical remarks you have ever made on anything involving him, which is also pretty close to "nada" - plus your predictable flying off the handle and foaming at the mouth at any posts you see as critical of him - you apparently are convinced he is.

We should introduce a new FSU rule: posters particularly liking one skater, have to post some negative remarks on them to prove they don’t think she/he is perfect, otherwise they won’t be taken serious any longer! Draft pattern:

Fan of X: "I have to step in for X, but please notice IMO he has the following weak sides:
    1.) ……………
    2.) ……………
    3.) ……………"

This board can be so funny at times!

Coming back to topic, like many others, I’d be interested in the portion of money going to charity as well (if anyone finds out, please post). However, it’s certainly better to give SOME amount to charity than NOTHING. So Johnny!

vCash
    I do plead guilty to having a less "flying off the handle, foaming at the mouth" view of Johnny Weir than the usual FSU suspects do.
    "Less"? BWAHAHAHA. You just keep telling yourself that, OK?

vCash
    ^^ Oh, stop "flying off the handle and foaming at the mouth," overedge. You seem to be the one trying to convince yourself of something or other.

Why not just relax, bid on a Johnny item, and try to enjoy the New Year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Would you actively boycott an event that you would be otherwise interested in, if they said an undisclosed portion goes to charity?

I mean, you could always donate to the charity directly. I don't really understand the furor over being "hoodwinked" by a fundraising event.

I'm only posting again in this thread to respond. If I were interested in going to see a play or a concert or a sporting event I would go no matter what. I'd go to these events because I'm interested in the event itself, if they decide to give a portion of the ticket price to charity then I don't see that as a hypocritical situation (it seems that is what you are trying to determine here) because I'm going to an event.

If your point is that Johnny is just selling his clothes to make some cash and decided to give a portion to charity is the same thing that maybe you are right. When I clicked on the thread originally I took it that he was selling his personal belongings for charity so when I saw that only a portion was going to charity then I was skeptical. I am so because I've learned my lessons in life when donating to charity and end up getting duped into purchasing something erroneously thinking it was all for charity to find out there was a hell of an overhead to be covered first.

So if Johnny's just selling some of his stuff to raise some cash for himself and then giving a small piece to charity then I guess there isn't anything wrong with it. If he's using that to entice people to buy things because they are suckers for charity then I'd suggest they find a way to donate directly to the charity and get more bang for their donation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12