Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Johnny Weir selling personal clothing items, some proceeds to charity

Decided to post a separate thread: Per today's Philly Inquirer, Johnny is selling off some of his "costumes" on http://shoplindasstuff.com. A portion goes to charity. However, that's a somewhat inaccurate description: Took a look at the site, seems to more be items from his wardrobe rather than skating costumes. There is a Vancouver 2010 Team Russia jersey there, along with one of his Olympic Team USA jackets. There are 4 skating costumes available on page 10, but they are mostly mostly in the $2000 range. Enjoy!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Banned Member
    vCash
    And what's the charity? Weir's bank account?

vCash
    http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca....html?mode=jqm
    "A portion of the profits will go to The Trevor Project, which provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender teens."

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    He is clearly a devoted fan of Chanel.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    How many pair of sunglasses does one guy need? ;P

Hmm, maybe I do need a pair of discounted designer sunglasses...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    And what's the charity? Weir's bank account?
    LMFAO! EXACTLY!

vCash
    Try the Trevor Project. You've heard of it, I take it? If not, read up. It's a very, very worthy cause.

vCash
    A PORTION of the profits will go to the charity. It could be anything, like 5 per cent. It was ridiculous how Johnny tweeted some months ago how he has only $1000 on his bank account and asked people to send money to the linked page. And then pretended that he was hacked, lol. Sorry, I don't trust him.

vCash
    he would probably have more money in his bank account if he wasn't buying all those clothes!

vCash
    I guess the question is did he actually buy all that stuff or were they gifts?? I don't understand how someone with limited funds can purchase stuff like that and give the impression they are a struggling athlete in need of support.

I also never support a fundraising where an undisclosed portion goes to charity. I want to know what percentage and where the rest goes. When I give to charity I want as much as possible to go there. When I need to clean out my closet I give the overflow to diabetes, epilepsy and those that have thrift stores to sell donations.

vCash
    That webshop also promotes him as a World Champion figure skater?!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I guess the question is did he actually buy all that stuff or were they gifts?? I don't understand how someone with limited funds can purchase stuff like that and give the impression they are a struggling athlete in need of support.
    I also never support a fundraising where an undisclosed portion goes to charity. I want to know what percentage and where the rest goes. When I give to charity I want as much as possible to go there. When I need to clean out my closet I give the overflow to diabetes, epilepsy and those that have thrift stores to sell donations.
    I do know that a lot stuff was given to Johnny as gifts by fans, mainly from Japan

you can always contact the charity to find out exactly how much of the portion they will get and how much goes to the lady selling the items for Johnny.

Quadless
    vCash
    LOL - Johnny is certainly not the first person to sell his unwanted stuff on eBay. If you like it, buy it; if you don't, don't, but to listen to some of you, you'd think he was committing some type of crime.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    LOL - Johnny is certainly not the first person to sell his unwanted stuff on eBay. If you like it, buy it; if you don't, don't, but to listen to some of you, you'd think he was committing some type of crime.
    No, but most people selling on Ebay don't try to pass it off as "a portion" going to charity. It's generally pretty clear "it's going to my bank account" LOL! it's not the selling folks are whining about it's the potential "false advertising"

T

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    No, but most people selling on Ebay don't try to pass it off as "a portion" going to charity. It's generally pretty clear "it's going to my bank account" LOL! it's not the selling folks are whining about it's the potential "false advertising"

T
    Do you have proof ?

vCash
    it really is the typical gay lifestyle - especially here in NYC... spending FAR more money than what is being earned so that one can appear FABULOUS and A List... In reality , there is a mountain of debt behind all of it.. What comes next , I have seen far too often....

vCash
    Johnny certainly has the right to sell his stuff and donate some of the money to charity. I see no false advertising there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apatinar View Post
    it really is the typical gay lifestyle - especially here in NYC... spending FAR more money than what is being earned so that one can appear FABULOUS and A List... In reality , there is a mountain of debt behind all of it.. What comes next , I have seen far too often....
    Jeez, what an indictment. As judiz queried, "Where's your proof?" I guess anything you can possibly critique Johnny and "typical gay lifestyle" about in a negative way makes you feel better about yourself.

If you know so much about "typical gay lifestyle especially in NYC, ... mountains of debt," and "what comes next" that you've "seen far too often," why not try writing and selling a screenplay. Might help clear up the "mountains of debt" you seem to be so intimately familiar with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    you can always contact the charity to find out exactly how much of the portion they will get and how much goes to the lady selling the items for Johnny.
    I don't doubt that a portion of the revenue from the sales will actually end up going to The Trevor Project, as Johnny has done a lot of generous work for groups like this. But I do think it would give this fundraiser a stronger perception of legitimacy if the size of the portion was stated upfront, rather than people having to contact the group to find out for themselves.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Also in the listing - a pair of used figure skates!

I guess it intended for collection, not to be skated in. The current listing barely says anything about sizing and condition, lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast