Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Dube and Wolfe retire

Skate Canada press release: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx

Edit: link fixed

vCash
    Thanks. Best wishes to both of them on the next chapter of their lives!

Excerpts:
    The past several months, Dubé had struggled with a persistent injury to the soft tissue in her right foot, which caused her significant pain when landing jumps and throws. It also affected their ability to train for this season. It was Wolfe who finally helped make the decision to retire. “We looked at continuing, but when we really reviewed everything, we just didn’t want to finish our careers without being able to train and compete at our best,” said Wolfe. “We just felt this was the right decision for both of us at this stage of our lives.”
    Dubé has moved to Montreal, where she has already enrolled in courses at Concordia University and will be working towards a degree. Wolfe hopes to pursue a career in firefighting down the road. Both of them have completed their initial National Coaching Certification Programs (NCCP) and have moved into the coaching ranks. Dubé is already excited by working with younger athletes. “It’s really been rewarding to start coaching alongside my former coach Yvan Desjardins and with Michelle Godbout. I am really looking forward to staying involved in the sport by helping young skaters achieve their dreams.”
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm not surprised to hear Jessica is retiring, but I am surprised about Sebastien. He's only 21 - I would have thought he might try again with a different partner.

Best of luck to them!

vCash
    Well, someone keeps me a copy of the next Montreal firefighter calendar with Wolfe in it.
    Good luck to them.

vCash
    That's a shame that their career hast to end now but it sounds like they are both ready for the next chapter in their lives.

Can't believe that only 6 senior pair teams will be competing next week at Canadians. Skate Canada needs to work on getting some new blood into the pairs program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I'm not surprised to hear Jessica is retiring, but I am surprised about Sebastien. He's only 21 - I would have thought he might try again with a different partner.
    He's not very high if I remember right? Which makes finding a new partner very difficult.

vCash
    That's a shame, but given her persistent injury, I certainly see why they chose to retire. Jessica's had a pretty damn good career!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    He's not very high if I remember right? Which makes finding a new partner very difficult.
    You're misremembering. Wolfe is listed as 188 cm (~74 inches) in his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013628.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    Can't believe that only 6 senior pair teams will be competing next week at Canadians. Skate Canada needs to work on getting some new blood into the pairs program!
    Makes the 2013 US Nationals Senior Pairs field seem huge with 10 teams! (from 12 teams originally)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Biting tongue, biting tongue.

His ISU bio lists him at 188 cm, which is nearly 6'2". Not sure if that's accurate...

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    It's sad this happened because of injury, but I've always had a soft spot for Lawrence and Sweigers and this means going to the Olympics might just happen for them provided Canada gets 3 spots for next season.
    Best of luck to Dube and Wolfe in whatever they decide to do next.

vCash
    I am sad, but not really surprized; wishing them both good-fortune in their future endeavours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post

His ISU bio lists him at 188 cm, which is nearly 6'2". Not sure if that's accurate...
    Yes, Sebastien is tall, at least 6'. He had already been considering retirement (and firefighter training) when he aged out of juniors, before partnering with Jessica. It's great that he had an opportunity to compete at the highest international level and gain a silver medal at Nationals before finishing his skating career - he certainly has a lot of talent.

Best wishes to them both, as they move forward and take on new challenges.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Not surprising, as rumors and pics suggested Jessica being out of shape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Not surprising, as rumors and pics suggested Jessica being out of shape.
    I would argue this had more to do with a serious injury than being out of shape.

vCash
    How frustrating to have your body just not go along with the program. Wishing them the best as she heals and they both move on.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I would argue this had more to do with a serious injury than being out of shape.
    Probably a cause and effect don't you think.. injury prevents training resulting in not being "competition shape"

vCash
    Sounds like they both have some exciting things planned for their lives. Best of luck to the both of them.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Too bad :-(

vCash
    So what was it about Mervin Tran?

vCash
    I'm probably reading WAY too much into this, but it seemed kind of wierd to me that she thanked Davison and Wolfe, but not her first partner, Samuel Tetrault, with whom she learned pairs (and had good international junior success), IIRC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast