Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Have there been any updates on John? I know they're out of Nationals, but have they also rules out Worlds as well?
    I don't think they have ruled out applying for a bye to Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think they have ruled out applying for a bye to Worlds.
    And if they are healthy, it would be silly not to let them compete given their results.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Have Caitlin and Rockne ever tried out? I'm sure its been discussed at some point here. Or is this Y/R pairing pretty solid/legit?
    Caitlin and Rockne used to train together (with different partners) in Colorado Springs. They are well aware of each other's size and capabilities. IMO Caitlin is much too big for Rockne. An ideal height difference would be 7-8" or more. Caitlin is close to 5'4" and Rockne is 5'9".

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenifer View Post
    There are actually a number of plausible scenarios in which the USA could qualify a single team for the Olympics but still earn two spots for for worlds. Remember that only the first sixteen slots are assigned to countries through the previous world championships.
    Using the ISU Communications for Torino and Vancouver and Wikipedia for the 1991, 1993, 1997, and 2001 WC results, there was never a situation where the total number of spots earned by countries earning 3 or 2 spots at the pre-Olympic Worlds was greater than the number of spots for the Olympics from pre-Olympic Worlds:

Pairs (16 spots):
    2010: 14; 2006: 16*; 2002: 15; 1998: 15; 1994: 15; 1992: 12

*Next country down the list earned one spot.

Dance (19 spots):
    2010: 14; 2006: 18; 2002: 18; 1998: 16; 1994: 17; 1992: 13

(Although it's mathematically possibly for there to be 27 28 qualifiers in singles if eleven countries had two skaters who, in combination, each earned two spots, and the gold and silver medalist were the lone entries for their country, it hasn't been close for the last six Olympics at least, as it has in Pairs and Dance, and I didn't look at details.)

Were the top US Pairs to under-perform, with neither beating P/Z or J/C (and P/T winning bronze), but were still to earn two, I suspect USFS, or any other country in the same position, would ask the ISU for an exception, since it would the first time earned spots would be split.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 01-10-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    WOW! At this point, are there even any pairs left to compete at Nationals? No D/C, no M/B, no Amanda Evora, no Y/R, no P/P, and there are probably more that I'm not up to speed on. Sad!
    There are 10 young (ish) teams that are ready for the challenge this year at Nationals. I for one am excited for some new blood.

Anyone who has seen Caitlin this year should not be surprised by the withdrawal announcement.

I am certain Caydee and John will go to Worlds if he is able. (They have put in an official bye request)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    Anyone who has seen Caitlin this year should not be surprised by the withdrawal announcement.
    What do you mean? I thought it was because of Josh's injury.

vCash
    Offering my condolences here too, as well as over on the Pairs Thread. BUT, I actually think this is a blessing in disguise. It will give them more time to heal properly, *gell*, and perfect their programs for next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    What do you mean? I thought it was because of Josh's injury.
    this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    this
    Really? Really?

Pulling out of all competitions this year (including 2 Grand Prixs) all the way back to skate Detroit because of an injury to Josh? You can question me all you want, this team will never see the light of day.

vCash
    Given the (un)reliability of your previous posts, it's not worth questioning you.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Really? Really?

Pulling out of all competitions this year (including 2 Grand Prixs) all the way back to skate Detroit because of an injury to Josh? You can question me all you want, this team will never see the light of day.
    I'm just asking what you mean. Your previous statement was rather vague so I was asking for clarification.

vCash
    Clarification isn't that poster's strong suit. Peppering subtle hints and then dropping the microphone and walking off stage is what we usually get. Take it or leave it, I guess.

vCash
    Really? Really?

If you have information, share it. All these vague hints based on supposed insider knowledge are pointless otherwise.

While I have no idea what's happening with Y/R, it is hardly unprecedented for skaters to miss extended periods of time and even full seasons due to various injuries.

vCash
    My assumption is the poster is referring to the fact that Caitlin never really looked in competitive shape, nor did the team ever really get off the ground as far as looking strong contenders for this season domestically or internationally. Whether or not it is due to injury, I don't know, but judging from what little they put out this year they were never going to be in the medal hunt and were most likely not ready to compete at Nationals this year. Missing this year leaves little hope for Sochi, so I would be suprised if this team stayed together after this season. Perhaps they withdrew to avoid a poor showing moreso than an injury. I guess I am just not suprised by this withdrawl considering they didn't finish a competition this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriemarie View Post
    My assumption is the poster is referring to the fact that Caitlin never really looked in competitive shape, nor did the team ever really get off the ground as far as looking strong contenders for this season domestically or internationally. Whether or not it is due to injury, I don't know, but judging from what little they put out this year they were never going to be in the medal hunt and were most likely not ready to compete at Nationals this year. Missing this year leaves little hope for Sochi, so I would be suprised if this team stayed together after this season. Perhaps they withdrew to avoid a poor showing moreso than an injury. I guess I am just not suprised by this withdrawl considering they didn't finish a competition this season.
    Thanks carriemarie. That makes sense. A straightforward answer.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Where did Yankowskas/Reagan show this year? I doubt Denney/Coughlin would have looked all that great in a small, mall rink with a tree in the middle of the rink.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Clarification isn't that poster's strong suit. Peppering subtle hints and then dropping the microphone and walking off stage is what we usually get. Take it or leave it, I guess.
    It's what the ignore feature is for.... LOL!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Where did Yankowskas/Reagan show this year? I doubt Denney/Coughlin would have looked all that great in a small, mall rink with a tree in the middle of the rink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    That was my point. They haven't put anything out really (although they did a SP at Detroit this summer, right?), so I personally wasn't shocked they withdrew. It's not a slam on the partnership. In theory it sounded really good, but the lack of competitive results led me to believe there was little chance they were ever going to show up at Nationals. They never got their programs out there and if they have been off the ice for a considerable amount of time for whatever reason it just not realistic to debut at Nationals for a brand new team. Injury, lack of training, the inability to gel, whatever. This has been a disappointing year for them. Perhaps they will focus on next year, but with the way US Pairs go I have a feeling they will break up. Regardless, best of luck to them.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I understand why they wouldn't be ready given their lack of preparation due to his injury, but when did people see the two of them perform to conclude that she's not in good shape? The only thing I saw was a YouTube video clip in the mall shot from way above. She didn't look particularly out-of-shape to me, but it wasn't much to go on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast