Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nynyfee View Post
    At international competitions the skaters pays for the coaches expenses as well!
    Are any of the coaches just ridiculous spendthrifts who order room service and martinis 10 times a day and make the skater pay their bill?

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    452
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mathil View Post
    Japanese skaters do benefit from having a lot of shows at home, but besides Mao and Daisuke who have done advertisements etc., I don't think they make that much money. Elite skaters receive funding from the japanese skating federation and have plenty of sponsors, though. Kanako has thirty companies supporting her, one of Kozuka's main sponsors is Toyota, and Akiko works for Toho Real Estate that has its own skating rink and supports her. As far as I know, Hanyu doesn't have any sponsors.

    Yuzuru Hanyu has just signed on the marketing scheme with the Japanese Olympic Committee, which selects a small number (they were 13 signed up in 2012) of athletes to be "JOC Symbol Athletes": this means that they are paid a given amount every year and in exchange, the JOC sponsors can use their image for free

    Daisuke Takahashi and Mao Asada are also JOC athletes (Takahashi since 2007, Asada since 2009 - there are other skaters, like Miki Ando and Shizuka Arakawa who also were JOC athletes before). They are paid 10 to 20 million yen per year - which must be roughly $120,000 to $250,000 per year (I think both Takahashi and Asada are getting close to 20 million yen)

    As far as other sponsorships go, I don't think anyone else in Japan is anywhere close to Mao Asada (there are at least two or three ads on TV with her for different companies at any given time and she even developped her own brand of kimonos) and while I don't think she makes as much as Yu-na Kim, all the figures I've seen floating around is that she earns more than a million USD a year. I would guess Daisuke Takahashi comes second but I don't have a clue as far as numbers go, apart from the JOC deal. I know he's one of the faces of Puma Japan and has a deal with Kinoshita so I don't think he's doing too badly though

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's an interesting thread. I think in Canada and in US the FS is a very expensive sport, the skaters come from the middle-class or gentility. Right? But I always thought, if anybody performs in shows he earned enough money for his life. Isn't true? BUt I know Weir is a famous star, but he hadn't enough money for his preparation.....

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,451
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20970
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    It's an interesting thread. I think in Canada and in US the FS is a very expensive sport, the skaters come from the middle-class or gentility. Right?
    Pretty much, yes.

    But I always thought, if anybody performs in shows he earned enough money for his life. Isn't true?
    Depends on the shows -- how much they pay, how many shows the skater does. There aren't many big for-profit shows that pay large fees to the skaters; there were more in the 1990s. Some old-style ice shows pay little to non-star ensemble skaters and not even all that much to headliners. Benefit shows often just pay the skaters' expenses and the skaters donate their time.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    It's an interesting thread. I think in Canada and in US the FS is a very expensive sport, the skaters come from the middle-class or gentility. Right? But I always thought, if anybody performs in shows he earned enough money for his life. Isn't true? BUt I know Weir is a famous star, but he hadn't enough money for his preparation.....
    He had more than enough money for designer clothes and accessories (probably for his dog, too). It's all a matter of priorities; while most skaters do struggle to break even, it is possible to earn a decent amount of money at the highest levels of the sport. Brian Joubert own a house, Evan Lysacek has property as well, a lot of skaters are attending university and presumably not all of them are on scholarship/tuition free, and skaters seem pretty well-dressed in banquet pics.

    As for socio-economic background, I assume most skaters are from middle-upper middle class families, at least in NA. But not necessarily everyone.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    He had more than enough money for designer clothes and accessories (probably for his dog, too). It's all a matter of priorities; while most skaters do struggle to break even, it is possible to earn a decent amount of money at the highest levels of the sport. Brian Joubert own a house, Evan Lysacek has property as well, a lot of skaters are attending university and presumably not all of them are on scholarship/tuition free, and skaters seem pretty well-dressed in banquet pics.

    As for socio-economic background, I assume most skaters are from middle-upper middle class families, at least in NA. But not necessarily everyone.
    Thanks for the infos. I know Adam Rippon grew up in a big family, I think they aren't too rich.
    ___________________

    I think Plushenko is one of the highest earning skaters, for the last three years, he earned $ 4,5 million ( by Russian Forbes Magazine).
    Last edited by lala; 01-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    51
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Thanks for the infos. I know Adam Rippon grew up in a big family, I think they aren't too rich.
    ___________________

    I think Plushenko is one of the highest earning skaters, for the last three years, he earned $ 4,5 million ( by Russian Forbes Magazine).
    Is Mercedes-Benz sponsoring him?

    ISU is not doing its job to make the sport more popular with the audience, and that really hurts skaters' bottom lines.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mathil View Post
    As far as I know, Hanyu doesn't have any sponsors.
    So happy for Hanyu with the JOC sponsorship - training expenses and tuition at prestigious private university and change!! :happydance:

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGreen View Post
    Is Mercedes-Benz sponsoring him?

    ISU is not doing its job to make the sport more popular with the audience, and that really hurts skaters' bottom lines.
    Probably, Plushy wearings the Mercedes logo with Bingo Boom, Odri and Ulysse Nardin logos. He has Russian (lottery Bingo Boom-official sponsor, the new commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QigMQ9Vh668 cute) sponsor and and foreign alike: ODRI is Italian firm and the traditionally Swiss Ulysse Nardine watchmaker. Plush has own watch "Champion's Diver Plushenko" limited edition, cca 11.000$ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvj_7HJVmRA)

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Western US Mecca of Figure Skating
    Posts
    458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    No, they don't have to stay at the official hotel and many don't to save money. They also will bunk up to save money and some coaches will share with their skaters so their skaters can save money. [This is US Nationals. I can't speak for other countries.]
    MacM is exactly correct. The skater pays all expenses at US Nationals.

    As a skating parent, I can tell skaters don't do this isn't done to make money. Those days are long behind us.

    As a person heavily involved in skating, I can also state that many skaters (and their families) pay out much more than they ever bring in from competition winnings (if they are fortunate enough to go to a comp that does pay winnings..ISU GP), gifts, sponsorships, shows, etc.

    Michelle, Michael, Evan, others they are the 1%, the exception to the norm. Mom and Dad usually foot the bill for some time. My skater coaches several young skaters and he is, now, paying most of the bill.

    But occasionally, "Bank of Mom and Dad" has to help out. In the long run, I wouldn't have it any other way.... :-)
    Happy Skating!

    Crzesk8dad

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Western US Mecca of Figure Skating
    Posts
    458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    It's an interesting thread. I think in Canada and in US the FS is a very expensive sport, the skaters come from the middle-class or gentility. Right? But I always thought, if anybody performs in shows he earned enough money for his life. Isn't true? BUt I know Weir is a famous star, but he hadn't enough money for his preparation.....
    gentility

    Thanks for my morning chuckle!
    Happy Skating!

    Crzesk8dad

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Western US Mecca of Figure Skating
    Posts
    458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    dupe
    Happy Skating!

    Crzesk8dad

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Western US Mecca of Figure Skating
    Posts
    458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Are any of the coaches just ridiculous spendthrifts who order room service and martinis 10 times a day and make the skater pay their bill?
    Yup, there are a few! Many are not.
    Happy Skating!

    Crzesk8dad

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,622
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6312
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Are any of the coaches just ridiculous spendthrifts who order room service and martinis 10 times a day and make the skater pay their bill?
    Not sure this really warrants a reply, but I'm pretty sure martinis is not be cost.

    To compare, when competed as an amateur (very, very amateur) with my horse, I paid for my trainers room and travel, but not food. Compared to all the other things (horse trailering, show fees, stall fee at show, competition clothes, not to mention day to day training, board and feed), it may seem like a drop in he bucket, but even just paying 50% of a hotel room isn't cheap (assuming my trainer had another rider at the show).

    I am certain there are so many things that add up in figure skating too!

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by crzesk8dad View Post
    gentility

    Thanks for my morning chuckle!
    Is that bad word? sorry, for my awful english... Yes, in America there are no noble...

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,720
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Is that bad word? sorry, for my awful english... Yes, in America there are no noble...
    It's a bit old-fashioned. But don't apologize; your English is quite good, and what better way to get better than by discussing skating?

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    It's a bit old-fashioned. But don't apologize; your English is quite good, and what better way to get better than by discussing skating?
    Thank you, you are very polite,but I perfectly know my limitations. But you're right, I studied English because of the figure skating.

  18. #38
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,796
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    It's an interesting thread. I think in Canada and in US the FS is a very expensive sport, the skaters come from the middle-class or gentility. Right?
    Yes, basically. I don't know a lot about Canadian skaters, but most Americans seem to come from a pretty good financial background. This article discusses some ice dancers whose parents paid for their partners to come to the US (it's over 10 years old, though, and the trend is now for both partners to be American).

    There are some notable exceptions, though, like Rudy Galindo, who grew up in a trailer park. Here are some articles about him.

    Tonya Harding also came from modest means.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    double post..
    Last edited by lala; 01-19-2013 at 08:54 PM.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,942
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Yes, basically. I don't know a lot about Canadian skaters, but most Americans seem to come from a pretty good financial background. This article discusses some ice dancers whose parents paid for their partners to come to the US (it's over 10 years old, though, and the trend is now for both partners to be American).

    There are some notable exceptions, though, like Rudy Galindo, who grew up in a trailer park. Here are some articles about him.

    Tonya Harding also came from modest means.
    Thank you, Cherub! There were very very interesting informations and articles. I didn't know...When I read about Rudy, I remembered Greg Luganis...

    I have not found Williams-Boundoukin video on YouTube, they didn't become well-known skaters?

    ( I know the trailer park, I saw many times the Independence Day movie )
    Last edited by lala; 01-19-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •