Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    Thank you, Cherub! There were very very interesting informations and articles. I didn't know...When I read about Rudy, I remembered Greg Luganis...

I have not found Williams-Boundoukin video on YouTube, they didn't become well-known skaters?
    I don't think so. I've never seen them skate. I guess a lot of those guys ended up coaching once they got to the US.

Rudy is so inspiring... his winning in his hometown at the 1996 Nationals is one of the best stories in skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I don't think so. I've never seen them skate. I guess a lot of those guys ended up coaching once they got to the US.

Rudy is so inspiring... his winning in his hometown at the 1996 Nationals is one of the best stories in skating.
    There are some fantastic people in the World, I feel I will be better because of them....

vCash
    Love this thread, thanks for starting it TheIronLady.

Yep, Rudy & Tonya are the exceptions. On the opposite end of the spectrum would be someone like Tara Lipinski, who came from a wealthy Texas oilfield IIRC. But usually skaters fall somewhere in the middle, literally, meaning upper middle class. Nancy Kerrigan's parents were both blue collar, as were Michelle Kwan's, Johnny Weir's, Evan Lysacek, et al.

Lol still chuckling about the martinis comment, and the response.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Edmonton Journal article: Love of figure skating, hard work drives Jessica Amy Sergeant (IMO, the "average skater" in this thread should include someone who placed 16th in Senior at 2013 Canadian Nationals)
    Excerpt:
    Jessica Amy Sergeant wakes up at 4:30 a.m. every day.

But the 22-year-old figure skater doesn’t get ready for class or a morning run.

Instead, Sergeant heads to Starbucks at South Edmonton Common for a seven-hour shift. After work, she makes the 30-minute trek to the Londonderry arena to train until late in the afternoon. She then stays at the rink to coach young skaters until 7:30 p.m.

“Then I go home, and pretty much go to bed,” Sergeant said. “I haven’t had an actual day off in a long time.”

For the last few years, Sergeant has been financing her own skating, with some financial assistance from her club.

Sergeant, who estimates her training expenses at $18,000 last year, spends an average of $1,200 on skates, and replaces them once or twice a year.

“Depending on how long the boot lasts and how (many) sharpenings you get with the blade,” she said.

“I ask for a budget from my coaches for this upcoming season,” said Sergeant, who receives technical support from Doug Schmierer. “They came up with a budget of $25,000. And that didn’t include equipment costs.”

This year, Extreme Edge Skating Club opted to waive ice fees for all skaters who make it to the Skate Canada Challenge.

“For me, they’ve paid my ice fees for the past two years, so it’s awesome,” said Sergeant.

“It’s a huge chunk of money off of a bill for an elite athlete,” Duffy said.
    (Angela Duffy is Sergeant’s coach and choreographer.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-12-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: To fix link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Rohene Ward is an example of a very talented skater who struggled to find enough money to train and ultimately had to retire from competition. A lot of people have wondered what he might have achieved if he had been able to afford unlimited coaching and ice time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123