vCash

Johnny on Rachel vs Guy Celebrity Cook Off

Starting now on the Food Network Johnny is one of the celebrities competing for the charity of his choice. Johnny's charity is the Human Rights Campaign which helps gays, lesbians and transgender youths.

vCash
    It's funny that Johnny doesn't proclaim that his charity is Tara Modlin's business.

vCash
    Did anyone else watch this? My excuse is that I didn't have a whole lot to today and it was pouring rain. And of course, without Johnny Weir I wouldn't have bothered.

Basically, I'd say this show is terrible and probably won't watch it again - though it was cute to see a pix of Johnny's husband and dog. The show should really be called Worst Celebrity Chef. The celebrity named Gilbert made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches twice and came across as rather mentally inept.

The reality TV show on dog groomers rates slightly above this, IMO. And I believe it died after a few episodes.

vCash
    I watched it last season and found it pretty fun. It's not a serious cooking show, but it does show most of these athletes, singers, actors, etc., out of their element. I also appreciate that it is a short season for the show, as last season was only six episodes long. While many of the celebs were annoying, I found moments of last season laugh out loud funny.

Gilbert was certainly the exception to the rule. I wonder what his agent told him about the show, as he seemed actually surprised that he would be required to cook. I'm a sucker for a cooking show though. It is nice to have one that isn't as competitive as the ones with the professional chefs.

vCash
    I laughed when Johnny was told his meatballs had to have some fat in them.

vCash
    ^^ Ha ha, Johnny was really funny throughout the show, no surprise. The end of his team's dinner theater skit when Dean McDermott surprised Johnny with more than just a peck on the cheek was a great highlight! So Johnny's team with Guy Fieri had the best meal in singer Chili's pita tilapia, and the best skit. Dean's skirt steak was also delish according to the crowd. Unfortunately, Cornelia Guest's veg chili dish was a bit bland and Johnny's chicken meatballs were too dense and lacked juicy flavor.

It always goes against a contestant if they don't listen to the expert. Guy is a master chef and he warned Johnny about over-mixing his chicken before cooking it, because the fat would be cooked out if it was over-mixed. Johnny made a conscious decision to go against Guy's judgment re the over-mixing, and he also apparently poured in too much oil. Guess the lesson is a little fat in a chicken meatball doesn't hurt the flavor.

Johnny is lucky that his team won overall this episode, or else he'd have been in a blind-tasting snack cook-off with Cornelia Guest. From what I saw, I think the best team won and the less talented "cook" went home in the end.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-08-2013 at 03:49 AM.

vCash
    Carny Wilson for the win! It's a light hearted show & isn't meant to be taken seriously. I don't think I could successfully cook a dish that would appeal to 100 diners/critics.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    It's funny that Johnny doesn't proclaim that his charity is Tara Modlin's business.
    It is? If it's this group I don't think Tara has anything to do with it.
    http://www.hrc.org
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    NO, Tara has nothing to do with HRC, it is a legitimate charity that does wonderful work for gay, lesbian and transgender youths.