Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    What are you talking about? Have you actually seen the stage musical or just listen to the music and watch the movie?

On my own is only sang by a secondary lead on stage. What other actresses? Insulted? That's a bit extreme. Want a mini death and revolution? Why not throw in a prison sentence and steal a loaf a bread as well? Sound like you are more about nitpicking than anything else. If you read my post, you'd know this is not a mini-retelling of Les Mis at all... sigh!
    Ummm I am not sure the program was meant to be anything than just selection of music from the musical that she was skating to.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    I join the celebrations yet the program doesn’t convince me as the SP does. I think David Wilson was a little too generic here. While the story of the lady bitten by the vampire is rich of nuances and dark sensuality, the choreography for Les Misérables, especially the middle section, lacks detail and originality. And it is too similar to “Someone like you”, which was generic too. It’s odd, because he usually creates a lot of little moves never seen before. a theme like this requires originality, I think, because one runs the risk to be saccharine (as “On my own” actually is, being a sentimental pop song, while Hugo was much more subtle in depicting Eponine and her sacrifice). Chosing this story for a program shows the golden heart Yuna has, but the theme needs a better rendition. (OT. I haven’t watched the movie, but read some reviews and this one is absolutely fantastic http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/m..._reviewed.html )
    I agree that while she skated it well, the program was all about her wanting to be pretty and popular. It really doesn't have much to do with the original theme of Les Miserables.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Just because you chose music from a well known musical does not mean that you have to interpret the music according to the plot of the musical. I'd rather see someone take the music and give it a fresh interpretation than see someone die on the ice for the 1000th time while skating to Carmen.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I agree that while she skated it well, the program was all about her wanting to be pretty and popular. It really doesn't have much to do with the original theme of Les Miserables.
    Wanting to be pretty and popular? LOL! If any program of hers is about being pretty and popular it would be Gershwin Concerto in F or her James Bond SP. She's hardly seducing the crowd here in this program with her sad or pained expressions, or up reaching arm movements. I really don't get how you got that impression from this program. Yuna is pretty and popular, but she doesn't need to be literally dressed in rags and with ugly makeup in order to express the original theme of Les Miserables.

vCash
    What are you talking about? Have you actually seen the stage musical or just listen to the music and watch the movie?

On my own is only sang by a secondary lead on stage. What other actresses? Insulted? That's a bit extreme. Want a mini death and revolution? Why not throw in a prison sentence and steal a loaf a bread as well? Sound like you are more about nitpicking than anything else. If you read my post, you'd know this is not a mini-retelling of Les Mis at all... sigh!
    *sigh* Let me try this a little more slowly for you.

In my original post, all I inferred was that YuNa needed to project more to the audience for the entire LP as I felt she was so busy concentrating on the technical but that with more practice, this might not be as much of a problem at Worlds. YOU decided I had no idea what the songs were or what they were even about and that if she was more of an introvert it was because that's what the song was about and she should do a literal interpretation of "On My Own" when I hinted nothing of the sort. At which point I figured you assumed I thought YuNa was doing some smaller retelling of Les Miserables what with taking some obscure portion of my first post and wildly misinterpreting what I said and then getting your underwear in a twist and trying to tell me I don't know anything about the musical at all.

Oh, and the "other actresses" part: you are aware that Les Miserables has been staged hundreds of times in lots of other locations besides London, right? And that many, many actresses have played the part of Eponine on stage, yes? Now go back and re-read what I said.

vCash
    I've said this before-Yuna is not playing around! She means to win the Olympics again! If a U.S. skater can't win it (not very likely) then I'll be totally happy if Yuna repeats-and ties Katarina Witt for two-time Olympic Champion. Sonja will still be the Olympic Goddess with her three titles though.

vCash
    Wow, Yuna looks fantastic. She makes the triple lutz-triple toe look so easy!
    Best of luck to her and all the other ladies at Worlds.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 01-07-2013 at 04:51 AM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Wow Yuna looks damn good! I'll say that she moved me emotionally, but the emotional impact is not at her full potential yet. I'm a sucker for clean performances though

Can't wait to see her live in London!

vCash

Uh, I'm sorry. But a person is entitled to feel whichever way they do about a program even if they have NEVER listened to the particular music once. Besides, it's not like Les Mis is some arcane piece of work that is only understood by a few or requires some acquired taste of music. The music is pop enough and pretty easy to listen to and the lyrics explains itself so I'm not sure why you had to write a dissertation about it. I find it especially funny that posters feel the need to overanalyse a program which really wasn't meant to be analysed in such details because there really isn't that much stuff in there. Just sit back and enjoy her jumps
    Last edited by shine; 01-07-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    She skated well. The content had high difficulty and quality execution. She was fast, fluid, and had a fair number of transitions. I think the choreography could be better in line with the music, although that could easily be overlooked since she was clearly emotionally committed to the performance.

This was, by far, the best performance I have seen this season, and makes me think she can easily be on the podium leaning towards 1st or 2nd.

I have not been a fan in the past, but I saw "it" today.

vCash
    deleted because duplicate
    Last edited by Iceman; 01-07-2013 at 05:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Ummm I am not sure the program was meant to be anything than just selection of music from the musical that she was skating to.
    That is not the way David Wilson works.

I saw "it" today too Bardtoob.

I am really at a loss as to the criticism. This is a gift for the season and yet there is so much criticism, ill-founded imo. This performance is head above heels over any skate done by the ladies this season, most of which were marred with falls and popped jumps. For the poster who said this program was juniorish, OMG.

vCash
    Had been to MokDong Ice Rink for the days.

Actually, the Ice Rink, having sub rink and mainly been used for the hockey, was the coldest rink I'd ever been in domestic and foreign. I'm very healthy, taking regular exercise and winter-hardiness but I shivered with cold and didn't feel any different inside and outside the rink. Sitting 6 hours doing nothing... It's a hard decision to take and clap frozen hands out of my pockets...

Skaters waiting their turn to warm up and play also spent hard time, wore a duck-down parka and/or dressed in a layers. Trainers were busy to rub skaters' legs to maintain their body heat.

Day 1.

During the warmup, Yuna cleaned 2As and 3Fs with pinpoint accuracy but failed the last 3Lz3T try. Compared with other jumps, Yuna's Lutz needs speed and long entry path before the toe-pick but skaters, young and over-strained by the 5,000 crowds, media and KSU people concerned, practiced so hard and Yuna couldn't find the path through.

At the 1st try, she landed 3Lz just before the fence, found there're no room to try 3T and stopped on her hands leaning against the fence. Crowds're surprised at the moment but relieved when Yuna showed surprise and smiled archly.
    At the 2nd try, did 3Lz3T cleanly! Her rotation speed were stunning and height were extraordinary!
    At the 3rd try, she tried 3Lz3T in haste cuz there're just less than 10 more secs to the end. She did it but fell after the 3T. Crowds're surprised again but laughed loudly after Yuna stuck her tongue out and squirmed with shyness.

At the competition, Yuna fell just before stroking the 3Lz3T. I don't know exactly why she fell but my seats're near the place and I saw something odd on the ice, wanted to check again after her performance but missed the chance cuz there're so many flowers and dolls after her performance. Anyway, Yuna said she fell because she got twisted by her own legs.

She popped 3Lz and didn't try the 2nd triple but did all the choreo and steps before the 3F. So that How could I imagine she would try 3F3T. But she did that! It was the first time in competition since the Worlds 2009 in LA. I knew it's the plan B and she's been doing the combination like 3L. But doing that extemporaneously is well..... I thought 3F2T but what I saw was 3F3T. Crowds including me got crazy after the combination.

As you all may knows, Yuna's strength is she knows what she has to do after the mistakes. Yeah! She did focus and do her best in every component remained and scored 64.97 points to rank first after the short program.

Day 2.

During the warmup, Yuna again showed how well she had been prepared but there's a fly in the ointment she fell after 3Lz3T. The later, she hit the combination proudly.

At the competition, it was as perfect as her Olympic FS. Wanna nitpick at the performance? Yeah suit yourself but it was the 3rd time I, man at age 40, cried at the ice rink - Adam Rippon's FS at 4CC, Yuna Kim's SP at NRW and FS at Korean national (((RunnersHigh))))

Anyway, right after the 2A and during the CCoSp, the last component of her Free Skating, crowds kept doing clap and applaud and many already stood up and gave a standing ovation.

Right after the performance, I expected 144 (NRW's 129 + 10 in TES + 5 in PCS ) but traditionally, Korean National Figure Skating Championships has been notorious to fan for its poor scores to skaters so that I expected about 138 but.. it was 145!

Episodes

• It was the first time for KSU to sell the tickets for the National.
    • According to the KSU, all 4,800 ticktes were sold out within minutes.
    • National Figure Skating Championships were broadcasted for the first time and Free Skating was carried *LIVE* from public TV network. - Ranked #1 in ratings with 7.4%.
    • A judge received a blow to the head with dolls - Some of them were as big and heavy as I am... She stared at crowds.
    • There're waiting line for the fan who couldn't get the ticket in front of the ticket booth. They hold banner reading "Skating fan for the tix." Fans or skaters' family with extra ticket donated or sold the tix at the original price. One who got a ticket handed the banner to the other next. And most of them could enter the rink. (It was such a good idea!!! And made scalpers around disappointed and leaved in peace cuz they couldn't buy or sell any.)
    • Jin-seo Kim gave fans, waiting Yuna outside the rink, cups of coffee.
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 01-07-2013 at 06:57 AM.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    ^ Thanks for the great report.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    this is the best video, different camera angles of her jumps, with high quality and no commentary
    http://youtu.be/xD-wLLUgx0M
    thanks for the link, well I am very impressed by Yuna, a great program and I loved the music - she really hasn't missed a beat with her level of skating upon her return, will make for a very tough ladies field at worlds
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleWallie View Post
    Wanting to be pretty and popular? LOL! If any program of hers is about being pretty and popular it would be Gershwin Concerto in F or her James Bond SP. She's hardly seducing the crowd here in this program with her sad or pained expressions, or up reaching arm movements. I really don't get how you got that impression from this program. Yuna is pretty and popular, but she doesn't need to be literally dressed in rags and with ugly makeup in order to express the original theme of Les Miserables.
    She probably chose the program to jump on the Les Miserables bandwagon. I don't see anything in her performance that relates with the original. Anyone who seriously enjoyed Hugo's novel or watched the musical would agree with this. Please take a step back and listen to all the posters who don't really appreciate the program.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I am definitely convinced of her comeback on a technical level, but still not on an emotional, artistic level. There are several moments in the first half of the LP where it appears she doesn't know what to do with her arms, but to let them hang lifelessly by her side. David couldn't have choreographed it that way, unless he wishes for Yu-Na to copy Miki Ando. Her phrasing with the music was also off in places. Bravo on gaining consistency with the 3Salchow though, as that jump has proven to be her bugaboo during many important championships (2007 Worlds, 2008 Worlds, 2009 Worlds, 2010 Worlds). I can't believe I'm reading comparisons to Michelle Kwan though; honestly, WHAT are you watching?!?! On an emotional, artistic level, Yu-Na isn't close to Michelle at all. JMO. Congrats to Yu-Na! She is in terrific shape!
    I too thought that while the jumps were amazing, strong, textbook, she was completely un-engaged emotionally. And frankly, looked awkward at times, particularly during the final footwork at 4:11 on the youtube video, whatever she was doing looked unattractive.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Great job, Yuna!

Well people are "entitled" to their opinions and if team Yuna sees something to be done, they'll do that just right. What an amazing performance! If she can do this at Worlds again, wow. This season, many of favorite programs are from the ladies. Mao's Swan Lake, Ashley's Red Violin and LP, and now both of Yuna's programs! Imagine, how wonderful and blessing it would be if these ladies all deliver their true abilities at worlds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I am really at a loss as to the criticism. This is a gift for the season and yet there is so much criticism, ill-founded imo. This performance is head above heels over any skate done by the ladies this season, most of which were marred with falls and popped jumps. For the poster who said this program was juniorish, OMG.
    Well that would be me that said that and whilst you may have seen it one way, I saw it a different way. The program technically was brilliant - fantastic jumps. But choreographically was not the same standard. There was some working with the phrasing of the music but it lacked refinement in the moves or connection to the music. And I was not getting much emotion being put out there. There was not much variety in the types of moves or gestures presented by the skater. From my judging eye, it did appear juniorish. However she has only performed it twice in competition. Programs do take time to develop and have to be worked in. Skaters sometimes have to learn to connect to the music and find their way through it. At worlds it may be on a totally different level.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    She is still the best in this figure skating world!
    Now, I live in the US but I watched Yuna's LP, Les miserables, with live broadcast. Yes, I could not help watching her and the most fabulous program in this season, although there is a 14-hour time difference between Seoul and my place. Yes, yes, yes! It was worth staying all night because her performance was mesmerizing! To tell the truth, when I saw Yuna's Olympic LP, I thought there would be no performance that could surpass that. But Yuna came back with her stunning program, Homage to Korea, and I could not but to admit that there would be no limit in her brilliant and elegant artistry. Now, I am falling in love with this, Les Miserable, and to me, prospects for her next season have already started. I really really really envy the people seeing her amazing and touching performance with their own eyes.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast