Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Yuna shines in qualifying for worlds

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/f...075940907.html
    The 22-year-old, skating in only her second competitive event in almost two years, stormed to victory with a total of 210.77 points after a dazzling free programme in Seoul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gn98iKAK2U
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    That was a gorgeous performance. She's still the best, I am extremely impressed with that.

vCash
    I almost cried watching this. A dazzling performance indeed!!

vCash
    Thanks for the video clip.
    It's amazing Yu-Na looked as if she hadn't skipped the seasons. Wow!

vCash
    I can feel how hard she'd trained for the comeback..

vCash
    Thanks for the the clip! WOW! Great to see her back in such a amazing shape.
    The improvement she made from NRW-Trophy is stunning (and there she had already skated really well!)

vCash
    That made me feel things, I haven't felt since Michelle left----a lump in the throat, tears brimming. Absolutely magnificent. Great skating is back. Who would have thought it. Well, if she skates like that at worlds, her scores will be through the roof. The rest of the ladies need to be prepared to fight for the silver and bronze. And this from someone who until now was not a fan. Thank god she came back!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    Thanks for the the clip! WOW! Great to see her back in such a amazing shape.
    The improvement she made from NRW-Trophy is stunning (and there she had already skated really well!)
    That ^

I am not a Yuna uber by any stretch of the imagination. But coming back from more any stretch of a year or more without competition is never an easy task - to come back to such a level is no less than amazing! I don't want to think about the amount of work she must have done to be able to deliver such a high-level performance

Utter respect
    Last edited by rayhaneh; 01-06-2013 at 01:04 PM.

vCash
    Reminds me of Michelle Kwan at US Nationals, for sure.

vCash
    AWESOME

vCash
    I join the celebrations yet the program doesn’t convince me as the SP does. I think David Wilson was a little too generic here. While the story of the lady bitten by the vampire is rich of nuances and dark sensuality, the choreography for Les Misérables, especially the middle section, lacks detail and originality. And it is too similar to “Someone like you”, which was generic too. It’s odd, because he usually creates a lot of little moves never seen before. a theme like this requires originality, I think, because one runs the risk to be saccharine (as “On my own” actually is, being a sentimental pop song, while Hugo was much more subtle in depicting Eponine and her sacrifice). Chosing this story for a program shows the golden heart Yuna has, but the theme needs a better rendition. (OT. I haven’t watched the movie, but read some reviews and this one is absolutely fantastic http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/m..._reviewed.html )

vCash
    Fabulous !
    Such an amazing control on every element. She is fantastic !

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    I am definitely convinced of her comeback on a technical level, but still not on an emotional, artistic level. There are several moments in the first half of the LP where it appears she doesn't know what to do with her arms, but to let them hang lifelessly by her side. David couldn't have choreographed it that way, unless he wishes for Yu-Na to copy Miki Ando. Her phrasing with the music was also off in places. Bravo on gaining consistency with the 3Salchow though, as that jump has proven to be her bugaboo during many important championships (2007 Worlds, 2008 Worlds, 2009 Worlds, 2010 Worlds). I can't believe I'm reading comparisons to Michelle Kwan though; honestly, WHAT are you watching?!?! On an emotional, artistic level, Yu-Na isn't close to Michelle at all. JMO. Congrats to Yu-Na! She is in terrific shape!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-06-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I can't believe I'm reading comparisons to Michelle Kwan though; honestly, WHAT are you watching?!?! On an emotional, artistic level, Yu-Na isn't close to Michelle at all. JMO. Congrats to Yu-Na! She is in terrific shape!
    LOL, on an emotional, artistic level, she's far above and beyond Kwan. JMO.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    I join the celebrations yet the program doesn’t convince me as the SP does. I think David Wilson was a little too generic here. While the story of the lady bitten by the vampire is rich of nuances and dark sensuality, the choreography for Les Misérables, especially the middle section, lacks detail and originality. And it is too similar to “Someone like you”, which was generic too. It’s odd, because he usually creates a lot of little moves never seen before. a theme like this requires originality, I think, because one runs the risk to be saccharine (as “On my own” actually is, being a sentimental pop song, while Hugo was much more subtle in depicting Eponine and her sacrifice). Chosing this story for a program shows the golden heart Yuna has, but the theme needs a better rendition. (OT. I haven’t watched the movie, but read some reviews and this one is absolutely fantastic http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/m..._reviewed.html )
    I agree with your point here - I am not touched emotionally by her artistical performance either at this stage and the program is a little generic. That being said, I think she's at a point when she still needs to focus on her technic - I felt her focus was inwards and not towards the public the whole time. But I am also thinking that should change once she's gained more confidence with her program and secure in her technic and it will be interesting to see this program evolve towards Worlds

vCash
    Thanks for the video clip, very impressive skate from the Queen!

vCash
    Here's a much better recording than the live broadcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MLiDyI4M8hE

No mindless commentary, and you get a better sense of how the audience saw it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I am definitely convinced of her comeback on a technical level, but still not on an emotional, artistic level. There are several moments in the first half of the LP where it appears she doesn't know what to do with her arms, but to let them hang lifelessly by her side. David couldn't have choreographed it that way, unless he wishes for Yu-Na to copy Miki Ando. Her phrasing with the music was also off in places.
    she did a brilliant job and she showed commitment to the theme, it's the choreography that doesn't do her justice in some points, but i understand that being always that creative is not easy. i hope too Wilson will re-think the middle section. not sure what Miki Ando has to do with all this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    I agree with your point here - I am not touched emotionally by her artistical performance either at this stage and the program is a little generic. That being said, I think she's at a point when she still needs to focus on her technic - I felt her focus was inwards and not towards the public the whole time. But I am also thinking that should change once she's gained more confidence with her program and secure in her technic and it will be interesting to see this program evolve towards Worlds
    I fully support this! The girl had been off the circuit for a couple of years and I'm pretty sure her first goal was to prove to herself that she can still do the technical staff in competition. So I’m not surprized that she skated with a lot of concentration. I assume we might still see this at Worlds, cause Yu-Na will still be in a position where she needs to prove that she came back in order for being a contender for gold next season in Sochi. But I also think we will see different skates at the beginning of next GP-season at the latest.

vCash
    I think that she needs time to get more use to the program.... I don't think she has to prove anything though. I had no doubt if this girl came back, she'd come back to win. Good for her. She's going to force everyone to be better. Already see Carolina dusting of the 3lutz and there's talk of the 3flip/3toe.. She will make the Russian jumpers like Elizaveta work on their artistry...This is good for the sport.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast