View Poll Results: Which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition so far?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Midori Ito

93 62.00%
  • Tonya Harding

36 24.00%
  • Ludmila Nelidina

0 0%
  • Yukari Nakano

0 0%
  • Kimmie Meissner

2 1.33%
  • Mao Asada

19 12.67%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition so far?

Came across this video this afternoon, which is a compilation of triple axels performed by ladies singles skaters up to 2009. Quite a few ladies skaters have attempted triple axels in practice, but so far only 6 have landed them in competition since Midori Ito first did so in 1988.

So, which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition?

As the above video only goes up to 2009, here are Mao Asada's SP & FS from the 2010 Olympics in which she became the first ladies skater to perform three 3A's in the same competition:-

Short Program, Free Skate
    Last edited by Maofan7; 01-06-2013 at 02:50 AM.

vCash
    I can't believe that 2% more of the voters thought Asada had a better triple axel than Harding. What were they watching. Harding was much closer to Ito than this vote shows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    I can't believe that 2% more of the voters thought Asada had a better triple axel than Harding. What were they watching. Harding was much closer to Ito than this vote shows
    Agreed.

BTW, Tiffany Chin's practice 3axels were gorgeous!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I like the elegance and smoothness of Asada's triple axel but my vote goes to Ito still. Her jumps were simply huge. She leapt into the air higher than I've seen anyone else of her height ever reach. She could also do a great triple axel - triple toe loop combo albeit in practice only.

vCash
    If one is talking about the quality of the jump itself, not courage to attempt it often or do it numerous times in a program, Asada shouldnt have any votes. Even Nelidina's triple axel is much better. Ito is the clear winner for me. Harding was an amazing jumper when on, but her triple axel had a bad lean and ugly air position even when she landed it. In other jumps she can successfuly compete with Ito, but not that one.

vCash
    Midori Ito and Tonya Harding were the only high quality 3A jumpers. Kimmie's 3A shouldn't even have been ratified. Mao has landed it many times in competitions, and she did a respectable job, especially in the 2010 Olympics (landed three 3A's in the competition, which is a very big achievement) but in terms of quality of a 3A, none except Tonya comes close to Midori's. The one she landed toward the end of her LP in Albertville was a beauty, and so was the one in her 1990 worlds LP. I still think her best 3A was as a pro, in the 'Rose of pain' technical program. That was unbelievable in its speed (in and out of it), power, position, and cleanness.

'Rose of pain' program: the triple axel is almost at the start (around 20 seconds into the program)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvxvcEK7pk

vCash
    Harding achieved that hang time and exit speed that only men have. Ito, in part thanks to her miniature stature, looked explosive, but wasn't quite as much of a man as Harding. Ito beats Harding in that she makes the 3A look beautiful and effortless in all stages of the jump. I think Mao had the prettiest air position, and circa 2008 it was clean and with a more feminine landing position. So I like all three, but I will conclude with a preference for Ito. Midori had the first and arguably finest 3A.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 01-06-2013 at 09:19 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    ITA !

vCash
    To me, Ito will always be the Triple Axel

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    According to Canadian coverage from the 1986 World Championships, Elizabeth Manley was landing triple axels in practice. Knowing what great jumps she had, I bet that would have really been something.

Also, in the ladies' short program warm-up at Skate America 1992, Lisa Sargeant landed a beauty of a triple axel.

Angela Deroche, Sydne Vogel, Melissa Bulenhagi and Joanne Carter were landing the jump in practice at some point, too.
    Last edited by essence_of_soy; 01-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.

vCash
    Wasn't Joannie Rochette working on the 3A at some point? I could imagine her having a good one (in practice).

vCash
    ITA that Harding should have more votes. Although I voted for Ito, I feel it is kind of a toss-up between Ito and Harding. Mao has landed some good triple axels but not consistently and not with the technical brilliance of Ito and Harding.

vCash
    IIRC, Surya Bonaly and Maria Butyrskaya are supposed having worked on 3Axel at some point (Surya circa 1994 and Maria circa 1996)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    IIRC, Surya Bonaly and Maria Butyrskaya are supposed having worked on 3Axel at some point (Surya circa 1994 and Maria circa 1996)
    A friend of mine and I saw Maria land triple axels in practice at the 1996 World Championships in Edmonton. They covered amazing distance, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    A friend of mine and I saw Maria land triple axels in practice at the 1996 World Championships in Edmonton. They covered amazing distance, too.
    Good to read ! Sometimes, I doubt what commentators say about skaters attempting jumps at the practices !

vCash
    I think Irina Slutskaya at some point in her career also worked on it in practice. Before the OG in 1992, if I recall it right.

My vote went for Midori. Her triple axel was amazing! And she landed it noticably more often in competition than Tonya Harding.
    I too wonder that quite many people voted for Mao or Kimmie, compared to Axels of the other two girls.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Good to read ! Sometimes, I doubt what commentators say about skaters attempting jumps at the practices !
    I don't see why Peggy Fleming would be motivated to exaggerate Maria's abilities.

vCash
    Not forgetting, Tuktamysheva's triple axel that she has landed in practice several years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdkDLBmBFBU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I don't see why Peggy Fleming would be motivated to exaggerate Maria's abilities.
    Peggy is not the only commentator in the World

vCash
    Ito and Harding

Mao's triple axels are too tiny

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast