vCash

Exclamation Problems with Klingbeil order

Problems with Klingbeil order

I have had such a bad luck with Klingbeil firm, that I feel I need to share it, so that no one else gets caught in similar situation.

In May 2012 I ordered custom made dance boots.

In June 2012 I noticed that Lorraine overcharged me – she counted $1384, although according to Janice’s quote the price should be $1294. I queried it and they reimbursed me the difference.

In August 2012 I received freeskating boots. When I queried it, that I had ordered dance boots, at first they tried to persuade me that those are dance boots. The boots were exactly same height, shape and stiffness to my previous two pairs I had bought from Klingbeil in the past and those were freeskating boots, so unless Klingbeil’s dance boots are identical to freeskating boots, those were not dance boots. On the invoice they actually wrote freeskating boots, whereas in all email communications from me I am asking them to make dance boots. I returned the boots. Eventually Janice admitted that there was error on their part and promised to make me another pair – dance boots this time. I had to pay for postage for returning the boots, which cost me £97.30.

At the end of October 2012 I received second pair of boots. The ‘second attempt’ boots I received are still not according to my specifications. I ordered and paid $50 for dance backstay, which neither the first attempt boots nor the second attempt boots had. Considering that I made it clear in several emails that I need it and that the reason for ordering the boots is that my coach is complaining that I don’t point my toes, I really don’t know why Klingbeil found it so difficult to make it. If they can’t do it, they shouldn’t be offering it and charging for it. (In fact, if I had known that I will get boots in which I won’t be able to point my toes, I would have never ordered the boots!)

In addition, Klingbeil forgot to mark the parcel as ‘return’, so I had to pay custom duty/import tax again, which I have already paid on the ‘first attempt’ boots. (the custom duty/import tax is charged according to information that the sender- Klingbeil - provides). I shouldn’t have to pay custom duty twice, considering that I ordered and have only one pair of boots. The second custom duty/import tax was £97.17. When I asked Klingbeil for reimbursement of the second custom duty payment, Janice offered me 25% discount from my next boots that I will order with them. Now seriously, with this bad experience, would anyone order any next pair of boots with them?) I politely declined and asked for reimbursement. Janice and Richie Perna (the director) are ‘looking into it’. Well, they have been ‘looking into it’ since 21st November and I haven’t heard from them yet! (I did send them the receipts in November as requested.)

So if I summarise it, I have spent $859 for boots that are made not according to my specification ($1294 minus the price of the blades $435) and incurred additionally £194.47 in extra expenses (postage for returning boots that were freeskating boots while I ordered dance boots, and second time paying custom duty/import tax because Klingbeil forgot to mark the second parcel as return).

I have placed the order in May 2012. We are in January 2013. At the moment I have a pair of boots that are completely useless for me. Pointing my toes was the reason for ordering dance boots, otherwise I would continue skating in my freeskating boots.
    Klingbeil made a lot of promises (such as giving me the account number so that I can return the boots number two to them without having to pay another postage) and fixing the boots number 2 for me, but unfortunately none of their promises actually materialised.

It is a lot of money for me, and I wasted 7.5 months waiting for my boots, which turned out to be complete disappointment. I will definitely not order from Klingbeil again.
    Last edited by hanca; 01-05-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    That's horrible. When you finally receive the correct boots, you should spell all this out to them and ask for a rebate of part of the money. At least enough to cover the second trip through customs and shipping. Good luck.

vCash
    thanks for the info hanca, sorry this happened to you. Good on you for speaking the truth
    Last edited by jamcan; 01-05-2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: typo

vCash
    Sounds awful. A consequence of the change/sale/move?? I hope that you can get everything straightened out. I got a pair of Klings just before hearing they were about to go out of business and freaked out (Dec/Jan 2012) but everything turned out OK and I really like the boots.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Yikes, so sorry this happened to you, hanca. I bought my Klingbeils in late 2005 and thankfully haven't needed to replace them yet. I've had the tongues replaced a few times, most recent was last January right before the sale (when they were still talking about going out of business) and they actually redid them for me b/c the material I requested (sponge rubber with lambswool center) didn't work out - went back to all lambswool - long story. I've always had a good experience with Don and Lorraine. I hope the customer-friendliness hasn't gone away with the new ownership.

Did you ask them about sending the boots back to them to have the backstay put in? I guess being in another country complicates shipping, but I would keep on them about it to make sure you at least get boots that you can use.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Did you ask them about sending the boots back to them to have the backstay put in? I guess being in another country complicates shipping, but I would keep on them about it to make sure you at least get boots that you can use.
    My problem with sending them the boots back is that it is going to cost me even more money for postage (the last time it cost £97.30) and if they send me back the corrected boots and again forget to mark it 'return', I will again end up paying for customs /dutytax (and that was last time £97.17). I can't afford to keep funding more and more attempts to make things right. Besides, if I do spend all that money to send it back, I would like to know for sure that they will add the dance backstay, and considering that they made already two attempts without it, I don't believe that they will make it right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I got a pair of Klings just before hearing they were about to go out of business and freaked out (Dec/Jan 2012) but everything turned out OK and I really like the boots.
    I got a pair of Klingbeils twice before and both times they were great (but they were freeskating boots). Maybe the firm doesn't know how dance boots look like? Or is it the change of ownership?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    I've always had a good experience with Don and Lorraine. I hope the customer-friendliness hasn't gone away with the new ownership.
    Oh, no, they are definitely very friendly. It is just that the boots they sent me twice now are absolutely useless for ice dance and it is a lot of money to just throw away.

vCash
    So, Klingbeil is still in business, right? I love their skating boots and ordered another custom pair, but need some adjustments made. I called their phone number and it is answered with a message saying it's "The Adoni Group." Or something that sounds like that. I sent them an email a few weeks ago with no response. Can anyone confirm that they are still in existence?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by livetoskate View Post
    So, Klingbeil is still in business, right? I love their skating boots and ordered another custom pair, but need some adjustments made. I called their phone number and it is answered with a message saying it's "The Adoni Group." Or something that sounds like that. I sent them an email a few weeks ago with no response. Can anyone confirm that they are still in existence?
    http://www.nytrendymoms.com/2012/11/...group-inc.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by livetoskate View Post
    That was exactly my experience. If you leave a message on the phone, you never know if they got it because it is for several firms within the company and they won't get back to you. If you send an email, they sometimes do respond (after a while) and sometimes don't. And sometimes just write that 'they will look into it' without getting back to you when (if at all) they looked into it. Getting back to their customers is currently not on the top of their priorities. I eventually gave up. There is only so much you can do from a different country.

vCash
    Klingbeil is still in business. If they haven't gotten back to you, it's probably bexcause the boot guys have been at US Nationals in Omaha last week. Try them again. Personally, I've had no problem reaching them during business hours, but I'm in the same time zone. They also have a Facebook account that I've had good experiences with.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.