Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evan updates?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I know he certainly enjoyed his weekend at GG events, not to mention the actual awards ceremony. He mentioned he spent most of either Friday or Saturday night talking skating w/Spielberg on Twitter.

Quadless
    vCash
    Nice to see Evan having fun. He has a very droll sense of humor.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Well, so, it seems many feel even though Evan is "training away," that's no guarantee he's planning to compete at Nationals, at least not this year. Could be he would not be showing up at awards shows if he was going to be at Nationals next week. However, it's strange he hasn't officially withdrawn yet. But I guess there's still time.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I know he certainly enjoyed his weekend at GG events, not to mention the actual awards ceremony. He mentioned he spent most of either Friday or Saturday night talking skating w/Spielberg on Twitter.
    I can see it now. Evan Lysacek as Lincoln on iceskates, choreographed and directed by Steven Spielberg, costume by Vera Wang of course.

vCash
    Missy is 6'1" Evan 6'2"

If he knows he is going to withdraw, why is he waiting so long?

What is the big draw for nationals this year? Besides me.

Even if he skates at Nationals and wins, he can't skate at Worlds , can he?
    Last edited by Iceman; 01-18-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I can see it now. Evan Lysacek as Lincoln on iceskates, choreographed and directed by Steven Spielberg, costume by Vera Wang of course.
    ROTFLOL!!! Oh and *of course* it'll be Vera Wang and all in black too.

vCash
    ^^ Yes, of course, ALL BLACK Vera Wang Lincoln-style suitcoat with pants and top hat (hats are so de rigueur in skating these days ). But probably minus the awkward DDL-Lincoln broken gait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Missy is 6'1" Evan 6'2"

If he knows he is going to withdraw, why is he waiting so long?

What is the big draw for nationals this year? Besides me.

Even if he skates at Nationals and wins, he can't skate at Worlds , can he?
    I ~think they'd have to send him to another international comp between now and then to get the minimum tech score. I don't think he'd outright win, but he'd have a decent chance at the podium. Then again, who knows. We haven't see him skate competitively since Vancouver. He would windmill arms himself into the boards for all we know.

vCash
    Who could beat him at Nationals? I believe he would make up in PC's what he would lose in not having a quad. His programs of four years ago, could take Nationals this year. I've never seen Evan ill-prepared, so if he skates in Omaha, he'll probably win.

vCash
    Even in his peak years when he won Worlds and Olympics he lost Nationals to Abbott, so why on earth would one be safe to think he wins now if he skates, older, no longer in his prime, having been out of competition for years, and been injured most of the year. Anyway I doubt he will even skate at Nationals so the answer will probably remain unknown.

vCash
    I have to insert my opinion here. This situation with Evan...will he or won't he be at Nationals...it reminds of when Kwan was supposed to be at Skate America around 2004 and 2005 (I think I have the dates right, Pittsburgh for sure and perhaps even Atlantic City) and people bought tickets thinking she was going to be there and days before the event, it was announced she wouldn't be there. Everyone was disappointed but we figured USFSA wanted to keep her name on the roster for as long as possible for advertising and ticket sales. We later talked to someone pretty much on the inside of things, and confirmed we pretty much had it right. Obviously we had no first hand 100% knowledge and we have no sure knowledge about Evan either, but for sure, the USFSA benefits if a popular skater's remains on the roster and shown in photographs. I really hope he competes, but I won't be a bit surprised if his withdrawal is announced soon.
    Kathryn

vCash
    ^^^^ That.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Even in his peak years when he won Worlds and Olympics he lost Nationals to Abbott, so why on earth would one be safe to think he wins now if he skates, older, no longer in his prime, having been out of competition for years, and been injured most of the year. Anyway I doubt he will even skate at Nationals so the answer will probably remain unknown.
    I agree. It is not likely that Evan will skate at Nationals this year (or next). And yes, Evan is probably not now the skater he was at Vancouver, but Jeremy was certainly not the skater in Vancouver that he was at 2010 Nationals! And unfortunately he is not the skater today that he was in either 2009 or 2010. I have a hunch that Evan could win, but if he doesn't show up, he certainly won't.

vCash
    In any event we'll all know by next week.

vCash
    I noticed on Mirai's facebook page she was tagged in a post by Galina. She was basically wishing all her students both former and current good luck. She had Evan tagged/listed, so who knows, maybe he is a go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Well, so, it seems many feel even though Evan is "training away," that's no guarantee he's planning to compete at Nationals, at least not this year. Could be he would not be showing up at awards shows if he was going to be at Nationals next week. However, it's strange he hasn't officially withdrawn yet. But I guess there's still time.

Of course remember that in LA the award show started at around 5 and was over at 7 so it's not like it was a 'late night' event that dramatically intereferred with training. (I honestly don't expect him to be there but wouldn't read to much into the award show visit. These are really late afternoon early evening events in LA. )

I would not put it past USFSA to be asking him to hold off on announcing her won't go (Of course I have been told I shouldn't go because I don't "LOVE" USFSA LOL!) They lost Weir, they lost Cziny, they don't have the returing pair champions and ticket sales based on local media reports are not outstanding. This may be the only "name" they have in the rotation besides possibly Ashley (who has gotten a lot of attention this year) For the hard core fans, like us, that's not a deal breaker but for "joe smith" from the suburbs of Omaha paying $50 a ticket to see folks he doesn't know may be a deal breaker. It's a lot of money to bring your average family to just one session (tickets, parking, kids want food and drinks etc...)

vCash
    It's interesting that Evan is past his prime being 1 day older than Abbott but Abbott is not?

vCash
    ^^ I don't know about "past prime," but certainly both Evan and Johnny were at their peak in their early twenties. As far as Jeremy Abbott, keep in mind that he was a late bloomer who has competed in three disciplines (ice-dancing and pairs as a younger skater, and men singles starting in the novice division in 2000 - 2001 season). This was at a time when both Johnny and Evan were transitioning from juniors to seniors -- Johnny won Junior Worlds in 2001, and Evan was second at Junior Worlds in 2001, 2003, and 2004. In looking at Wiki, it seems to be an error but perhaps not: I thought Johnny debuted in 5th place at Nationals in 2001 as a senior and then he was injured in 2002 and withdrew during the fp in 2003. Wiki has him debuting at Nats in 5th place in 2002. Evan is listed as debuting in 12th place at senior Nationals in 2001, and placing 12th again in 2002. I remember seeing young Evan and Johnny competing live in Junior Men at Cleveland U.S. Nationals in 2000. And also a very cute young Ryan B debuting in Senior Men that same year. Ryan had his trademark wide, happy smile.

Oh well, back to Jeremy. Despite his being close in age to Johnny and Evan, it's obvious that Jeremy was a late bloomer who made his debut/ breakthrough at Nationals in the senior division in 2007, where he placed 4th. Also, Jeremy has continued to train and compete at a top level since the 2010 Olympics, unlike Johnny and Evan. As far as age, development, maturity, talent, desire and ability to continue competing at the eligible level, it's different for everyone. Just ask 30-year-old Plushenko.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-18-2013 at 06:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeedward View Post
    I agree. It is not likely that Evan will skate at Nationals this year (or next). And yes, Evan is probably not now the skater he was at Vancouver, but Jeremy was certainly not the skater in Vancouver that he was at 2010 Nationals! And unfortunately he is not the skater today that he was in either 2009 or 2010. I have a hunch that Evan could win, but if he doesn't show up, he certainly won't.
    Abbott is the same skater as he was then. Skates lights out at Nationals, bombs at Worlds. Keeping in mind the former though, and the USFSAs bizarre continued support for a continously (on the World stage) failed product, I expect Abbott will win Nationals again as usual, regardless if an old Evan skates or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    In any event we'll all know by next week.
    Scratch that, we didn't even have to wait until next week, but honestly is anybody really surprised. I'm not.

vCash
    Link to news thread for Lysacek's official withdrawal: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...3-US-Nationals
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast