Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Jason Heyward took a fastball to the face yesterday, his jaw is broken in two places and he'll be having surgery today, so he's out until the end of the regular season. This is really awful , because 1. it sucks when anyone is injured like this and 2. he'd been playing so well since the Braves moved him to leadoff.
    The injury to Heyward was , but it doesn't seem to have deterred the Braves in their quest for the Post-Season/Pennant Race:

East W L PCT GB E# WCGB L10 STRK HOME ROAD
    Atlanta 82 52 .612 - - - 6-4 W5 48-18 34-34

They're 14 games in front of Washington (Sorry, PRLady), withe the biggest lead in all of MLB at the moment

I just hope they can keep this momentum going and not burn out when the post-season rolls around -- somehow they always manage to encounter some seriously bad jou-jou in October .

Someone in the Braves Managerial Staff need to find Pedro Cerrano and a bucket of fried chicken for a sacrifice to appease Jobu before the playoffs begin .

vCash
    They are really streaky this year - which is good if you hit a hot streak in October, not so much if you use them up during the season... let's hope for the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Someone in the Braves Managerial Staff need to find Pedro Cerrano and a bucket of fried chicken for a sacrifice to appease Jobu before the playoffs begin .
    Yes, please! If only to put a stop to all those injuries. The number of players who've been on the DL this season, some for extended periods of time, has been unbelievable.

vCash
    Gah. I don't like any of the NL teams in contention for the title, and I can't root for an AL team (DH ) so I don't know what to do.

Well, that's not true. I'd like to the Pirates do well.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Gah. I don't like any of the NL teams in contention for the title, and I can't root for an AL team (DH ) so I don't know what to do.

The NLCS series back in '91 and '92 (against the Pirates both years) are two of my absolute favorite moments in Braves baseball history. In the bottom of the 9th inning in game seven back in '92, when Francesco Cabrerra hit that line drive to left field and David Justice scored, we'd have been happy with the tie to go into extra innings, but then Sid Bream and his decrepit knees saved the day with that unbelievable run and slide into home, evading the throw from Barry Bonds and the tag at the plate. I was in my car listening to the game while on the way home from a dart match, and it seemed like everyone in the line of traffic I was stuck in at that moment all started hollering, honking their horns, and engaging in mass celebration (including several who got out of their cars and started dancing in the streets and on their car tops ).

21 years later, it still never gets old
    Last edited by Cyn; 09-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash

C'mon. Say it after me.....Let's go Tigers.....Let's go Tigers......Let's go Tigers.....

My question is what on earth was Boston thinking when they traded us Jose Inglesias?

vCash
    The Tigers have the DH. Ergo, I can't cheer for them.

But if they make to the World Series against the Braves (who would be moderately acceptable if they would get rid of the god-awful Tomahawk Chop and not to pout like five year olds when a bad call goes against them), Cardinals, Reds (would also be acceptable if they didn't have Mat Latos) or Dodgers (who are only nominally acceptable because of Brian Wilson), I promise not to actively root against them.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    OK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    The NLCS series back in '91 and '92 (against the Pirates both years) are two of my absolute favorite moments in Braves baseball history. In the bottom of the 9th inning in game seven back in '92, when Francesco Cabrerra hit that line drive to left field and David Justice scored, we'd have been happy with the tie to go into extra innings, but then Sid Bream and his decrepit knees saved the day with that unbelievable run and slide into home, evading the throw from Barry Bonds and the tag at the plate. I was in my car listening to the game while on the way home from a dart match, and it seemed like everyone in the line of traffic I was stuck in at that moment all started hollering, honking their horns, and engaging in mass celebration (including several who got out of their cars and started dancing in the streets and on their car tops ).

21 years later, it still never gets old
    It's one of my favorite sports moments too, but I didn't mean for the Braves to break to Pirates in the process! After 20 losing years, I'm happy for the team and the fans, too, even though I obviously prefer the Braves. And I actually think that for a fan with no team in contention, the Pirates are a good choice (I'll just put this here again). Certainly better than the Tigers, the DH is evil, and the Dodgers, whose budget alone makes them unacceptable. I don't know what's wrong with Mat Latos, his cat is named Cat Latos and doesn't that excuse quite a lot?

Continuing with the animal theme, the Cleveland Indians have sent their rally chicken back to the farm; no sacrifice to Jobu necessary.

The Braves currently have three Johnsons, two Pauls, two Jordans, two Luises, two Davids, two Uptons, a Chris and a Kris, and Freddie, Fredi and Freddy. I find this entertaining

vCash
    I don't know what's wrong with Mat Latos, his cat is named Cat Latos and doesn't that excuse quite a lot?
    No. His wife seems really cool, so I'm going to guess that was her doing. He used to autograph baseballs with "Giants Suck," which made Buster Posey's grand slam off of him in the NLCS all the more spectacular.

vCash
    No. His wife seems really cool, so I'm going to guess that was her doing. He used to autograph baseballs with "Giants Suck,"
    Maybe, like in a romance novel, Latos can be reformed by the love of a good woman? Anyway, the cat's name is , regardless of who came up with it.

vCash
    I will cheer for the Tigers and um ... yeah, I do like the DH. Flog away
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I'm on my way to a Marlins game. Is it wrong that I'm excited to see that outfield monstrosity in person?

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I'm on my way to a Marlins game. Is it wrong that I'm excited to see that outfield monstrosity in person?
    I don't follow the NL too much. Is the monstrosity the physical outfield or the outfielders? I did see Jose Fernandez on Intentional Talk the other day and he seriously has to be the most adorable person in baseball and possibly professional sports.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Apparently it cost more than the salaries they pay most of their players, so I'm going to say that it's far more reasonable to be excited about the sculpture than the team. Except for Fernandez, and I know he didn't pitch yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Is the monstrosity the physical outfield or the outfielders? I did see Jose Fernandez on Intentional Talk the other day and he seriously has to be the most adorable person in baseball and possibly professional sports.
    I like him too - he seems like a good guy, and it would be great if he can win RoY. As for the monstrosity, see the link above; I know the actual sculpture has been hit, but I'm not sure how many times.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Apparently it cost more than the salaries they pay most of their players, so I'm going to say that it's far more reasonable to be excited about the sculpture than the team.
    OMG that thing is awesome!

I like him too - he seems like a good guy, and it would be great if he can win RoY.
    Now that Puig has cooled off a bit I think he has a good shot.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    The outfield thing is hideous. And also spectacular. Alas, Stanton wasn't playing, so no one hit a home run to make it light up.

I like Logan Morrison. He's funny.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Hey Tigers - you can stop it now. We were all happy with that lead over Cleveland, and you're not helping our feelings of contentment at the moment. Thanks.

Signed,

Tiger Fans

vCash
    LoMo is definitely funny. I feel bad for the Marlins and whatever fans they still have, with Loria as the owner that franchise is doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Now that Puig has cooled off a bit I think he has a good shot.
    I wonder if Evan Gattis can work his way back into the discussion? He had an awesome two month start, then cooled off/was injured, and now he's hitting well again (very well, at times).

Probably won't happen, though - too many good rookies this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Hey Tigers - you can stop it now. We were all happy with that lead over Cleveland, and you're not helping our feelings of contentment at the moment. Thanks.
    I am fine with the Indians closing that lead or getting in as a wild card. I like them, and they did not sacrifice their live chicken.

vCash
    Brian Wilson pitched last night against the Giants and got the win.

I am so conflicted right now.

vCash
    I see no conflict: your first allegiance as a fan is to your team. It's fine to appreciate players who have gone elsewhere and to want them to do well, but when they play against your team, you certainly do not want them to get the win! A no-decision for a pitcher or a good game on offense for someone is fine, but nothing that brings about an actual win. Just no.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast