Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    Garrett Richards is starting saturday instead of Blanton. Miracles! I thought they were gonna let him lose 25 games before they even considered not letting him pitch. Maybe next they'll move Pujols down the order to 7th until he starts hitting consistently. One thing at a time though.

Just a little levity:http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/5...ce-derek-jeter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Sorry, I know there are other ways to cheat, blah blah blah, but as I've already stated, PEDs drove me away from the sport once before. I think they're disgusting.
    I understand why some people feel that way about PED use. It's just that for me, I feel that there are bigger issues in terms of ensuring fair play and a level playing field in sports. Also, I don't think other forms of cheating (doctored baseballs, corked bats, stealing signs, etc.) should be dismissed as relatively meaningless or that more recent PED users are the worst. I mean, how do you feel about the hall of famers who probably took amphetamines back in the day? There were quite a few of them, apparently.

On to sad news: Tim Hudson's season is over after a freak accident on a play at first resulted in a fractured ankle - the video is pretty awful, but it does have a couple of nice moments with the Mets fans applauding him and Hudson's interaction with Eric Young, the Mets player who caused the injury (and who was visibly shaken by what happened). I hope this isn't the last we'll see of Hudson, he's a good guy and deserves a better ending than this.

Hudson did get the win, so his season ends with a winning record and a 3.97 ERA.

vCash
    Brian Wilson signed with the Dodgers.

vCash
    Looking like A-Rod is going to be banned for life! YIPEEEEEE!!!
    Crazy about sports!

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I doubt that's going to happen. This article mentions it as a threat. This one mentions settlement talks for A-Rod. I'll be very surprised if he gets suspended for life. He'll most likely only get a lengthy suspension that'll carry into next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Brian Wilson signed with the Dodgers.
    I thought his farewell tweet(s) to Giants fans were really nice.

This year's trade deadline was so boring. Probably because with the second wild card, too many GMs think their teams are still in contention. The second wildcard is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Looking like A-Rod is going to be banned for life! YIPEEEEEE!!!
    Yeah, like Tesla, I doubt it will happen. And anyway, I'd be far more excited if Bud Selig was banned from the commissioner's office than about anything involving A-Rod. Preferably before Selig et al. force the DH on the NL.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 08-01-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash

vCash
    How is this different from players who play while appealing suspension related to brawling and such? It's standard baseball policy - and if we compare the process to standard legal proceedings, he also hasn't been convicted of anything; that's what the arbitration hearing would be for.

It'll be a media circus, that's for sure.

vCash
    Was listening to a "local" radio station (it broadcasts out of Port Huron, Michigan and I live across the river in Canada) and one of them told of an incident that took place recently when the Detroit Tigers were playing the Cleveland Indians. I guess the fans of Cleveland felt a bit out after the Tiger fans did chants for their club so "some" of the Indians fans chanted "Detroit's Bankrupt, Detroit's Bankrupt". Seems kind of ... juvenile? to me.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Was listening to a "local" radio station (it broadcasts out of Port Huron, Michigan and I live across the river in Canada) and one of them told of an incident that took place recently when the Detroit Tigers were playing the Cleveland Indians. I guess the fans of Cleveland felt a bit out after the Tiger fans did chants for their club so "some" of the Indians fans chanted "Detroit's Bankrupt, Detroit's Bankrupt". Seems kind of ... juvenile? to me.
    Juvenile chants at a sports event? Who'd have ever thought of such a thing happening?....

NJL (...ever go to a soccer game? Esp between the USA and Canada or Mexico?.......)

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Doesn't bother me. Detroit is bankrupt! However, I'm not too sure if the city with the one-time burning river is one to criticize.

Plus, we won the game. Neener neener neener Cleveland!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post
    Juvenile chants at a sports event? Who'd have ever thought of such a thing happening?....

NJL (...ever go to a soccer game? Esp between the USA and Canada or Mexico?.......)
    Well there's juvenile and then there's JUVENILE. This just seems a bit ... I don't know, below the belt
    Crazy about sports!

vCash

vCash
    Um, ok. Not sure how I ended up posting this in the baseball thread and not tennis.

vCash
    Jason Heyward took a fastball to the face yesterday, his jaw is broken in two places and he'll be having surgery today, so he's out until the end of the regular season. This is really awful , because 1. it sucks when anyone is injured like this and 2. he'd been playing so well since the Braves moved him to leadoff.

The HBP was clearly unintentional, but I think this accident can be seen as a reminder of why intentional HBPs are not cool. I understand that retaliation ones are part of the game, but if a pitcher lacks the control to get the guy in a harmless place, it can turn very ugly. I don't want to see pitchers throwing at A-Rod, or at Braun when he returns, or trying to hit a guy multiple times as happened in the leadup to the big Dodgers-DBacks brawl earlier this season.

I hope Heyward's not in too much pain and that his surgery and recovery go well.

vCash
    YAY for Ichiro reaching 4000 hits!
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ofessional-hit

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash

vCash
    That link doesn't work for me, but I agree that Rivera is a class act.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    That link doesn't work for me, but I agree that Rivera is a class act.
    Darn Toronto Sun. Anyway, here's a partial quote that gives you the gist of the article:

Mariano Rivera sat in the old Founder’s Club before Tuesday’s game to say thanks to 26 long-time Blue Jays employees.

In his final year the New York Yankees closer has been thanking clubhouse attendants, grounds keepers and then going upstairs to meet front-office people, autograph a ball, pose for a picture and answer questions

vCash
    Thanks for that quote Alixana about Rivera. Definitely a class act
    Crazy about sports!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast