Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Dodgers don't develop their own talent? That's a new one. I guess that's why Baseball Weekly credited them with running the best farm system of the past 30 years.
    The Dodgers develop some talent, but there have also been a lot of high budget signings and trade acquisitions. St. Louis is noted for a mostly home-grown roster, and the organization is usually at or near the top of farm system rankings. Even though they annoy me, they deserve a lot of credit for what they've done. The Braves, BTW, were built largely on home grown talent, trades and waiver claims. Their 2013 payroll was about $130 million lower than the Dodgers'.

I don't know how Baseball Weekly reached the conclusion that the Dodgers have had a great farm system (do you have a link for that, BTW?), but if this is the case, why wasn't there more evidence of it at the major league level? And why did they go on a spending spree that more than doubled their payroll compared to last season? The LA Times noted this season that in terms of potential trades, they have a lot to offer in ways of money and not much in terms of prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Who on the Dodgers is homegrown? The only ones I can think of are Kershaw and Puig. And Scott Van Slyke, but I'm not sure if he made the playoff roster. Wait, did Puig even come up through the farm system? Or was he signed as a free agent?
    I think they had a good draft class in 2006? Puig was signed to a $42 million contract after he defected, shortly before the new limits for international prospect signings went into effect. He spent less than a year in the minors.

I'd also add that one of the advantages the high budget teams have is that they can extend and re-sign their players beyond the team control years. The Yankees, after all, weren't just about free-agent signings but were also able to keep a really good core together for years (most notably, Jeter and Rivera being career Yankees). A lot of teams can't afford to do it. There's a reason why the full title of Moneyball is "the art of winning an unfair game"; MLB teams are not operating with the same set of challenges.

ETA: I'll just add this re the effect of economic disparities in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 10-12-2013 at 10:00 AM.

vCash
    I fell asleep last night and missed Brian Wilson pitching (in typical Wilson fashion: walk two, then work himself out of his own mess) and also the Cards walk off win. In the 13th.

Awesome.

vCash
    It went to 13 innings??? Should've watched too.

It was a lot easier to pay attention to post-season baseball last season without hockey for competition. (And in yesterday's case soccer World Cup qualifying.)

vCash
    Today's game was good, too. It kills to root for the team that Matt Holliday and his dirty slide against Marco Scutaro are on, but he didn't get any hits, so it was okay.

And Puig being 0 for the series is awesome as well.

And whoever saved the game for the Cardinals hit 101 on the pitching gun. :respect:

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Chewing fingernails to the quick with this Tigers/Red Sox game

ETA: And Tigers win!!

vCash
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Today's game was good, too. It kills to root for the team that Matt Holliday and his dirty slide against Marco Scutaro are on, but he didn't get any hits, so it was okay.
    Sometimes you just have to go with the lesser of two evils. I have to overlook the infield fly, but it's (barely) doable because I just dislike the Dodgers more.

vCash
    Dear baseball gods,

Four hours for a 1-0 baseball game is ridiculous. Every time a batter steps out of the box to adjust his glove or his crotch, he should be hit with a cattle prod.

Thank you.

PL

vCash
    Dear baseball gods,

As much as I enjoy watching baseball, I have to agree with PL that almost 4 hours for a 1-0 game is a bit too much. Thankfully the hockey gods gave me a 6-5 OT hockey game to watch on another channel.

Oh yeah, on the topic of allowing hitter to make their "adjustments" after each pitch, how about speeding up some of the pitchers. Slow and D.E.L.I.B.E.R.A.T.E seemed to the manner of pitching -- at least when the "closer" for the Tigers came in. I almost took to timing the silly man.

Oh yeah, it was great fun watching the Red Sox manager walk to their dressing room after the loss. Serves ya right! I have absolutely NO respect for the man after he made known how much he wanted out of Toronto and then turns it around by saying the Jays traded him. Traded him? More like good-bye to bad rubbish.

Gooooooooooooooo Tigers. Let out the ROAR, you know you want to
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Dear baseball gods,

Four hours for a 1-0 baseball game is ridiculous. Every time a batter steps out of the box to adjust his glove or his crotch, he should be hit with a cattle prod.
    I like this idea, but more options are needed for the sake of variety and proper deterrence. Perhaps "have a 100 MPH fastball thrown at him"? Pelt him with sunflower seeds from the dugout? And I can play along with the meme: Brian McCann will block access to the batters box for anyone stepping away for frivolous purposes (preferably looking like this). He's a free agent, he could be signed specifically for this purpose.

This is far more fun to contemplate than either LCS.

vCash
    Aaaaand it looks like we are on a pace for another four hour game.

Okay, here are my suggestions. Once you are in the batter's box, you stay in the batter's box. They can wear shock collars, like dogs. Step out? Get a shock.

The average pitcher takes 10-12 seconds between pitches. So you get 15 seconds. Go over that? Shock collar. Or the mound opens up and you fall into a piranha pit. This rule will eliminate some of the slower Giants relief pitchers, but they sucked this year and I'm okay with that.

eta: as most of you know, I enjoy a good beard. No one on the Red Sox has a good beard.

vCash
    Red Sox!

Yesterday was a stressful but exciting day for NE/Boston fans!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    The average pitcher takes 10-12 seconds between pitches. So you get 15 seconds. Go over that? Shock collar. Or the mound opens up and you fall into a piranha pit. This rule will eliminate some of the slower Giants relief pitchers, but they sucked this year and I'm okay with that.
    I would support a three strikes and you're out approach. Two shocks, then the next time it's down to the piranha pit.

eta: as most of you know, I enjoy a good beard. No one on the Red Sox has a good beard.
    A similar policy can be instituted regarding poor attempts at facial hair. Perhaps such players can be shaved by someone with faulty eyesight, such as Angel Hernandez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Red Sox!

Yesterday was a stressful but exciting day for NE/Boston fans!
    Meh. Somewhere, Phil Coke and Craig Kimbrel are texting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I would support a three strikes and you're out approach. Two shocks, then the next time it's down to the piranha pit.

A similar policy can be instituted regarding poor attempts at facial hair. Perhaps such players can be shaved by someone with faulty eyesight, such as Angel Hernandez.
    Or Joe West. Who can't decide on a consistent strike zone.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Barry Zito of the San Francisco Giants took out a full-page ad in the San Francisco Chronicle today to thank his fans.

vCash
    That was really nice.

You know what else is nice? Brian Wilson's pitching.

Giants.

Oh, and Puig's showboating would make Brian McCann lose his mind. Especially since he showboated on a not-home run ball. Which was hilarious.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Wow, the Cards played great tonight.

I didn't pack my Cardinals shirt to wear in Detroit though. *bwack* *bwack* Yes, I'm chicken!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Wow, the Cards played great tonight.

I didn't pack my Cardinals shirt to wear in Detroit though. *bwack* *bwack* Yes, I'm chicken!
    I don't like the Cards much, but do prefer them in the NLCS. And I would be more than happy to get a few months' break from hearing about Puig's exuberance .

It would probably be too cold to wear just a shirt anyway

Oh, and Puig's showboating would make Brian McCann lose his mind. Especially since he showboated on a not-home run ball. Which was hilarious.
    McCann's triple was far more entertaining (sorry for the crappy video quality) than Puig's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't like the Cards much, but do prefer them in the NLCS. And I would be more than happy to get a few months' break from hearing about Puig's exuberance .
    Yesterday, he STRUCK OUT and at that point he was 0 for the series and the announcers were all "Well, it was a good strike out. Definitely a quality at bat." Um, what? And then today, when he totally misplayed the ball, the announcers were all, "Well, he lost it in the sun. Almost had and then the sun happened." Or, you know, HE MISPLAYED THE BALL.

McCann's triple was far more entertaining (sorry for the crappy video quality) than Puig's.
    I just want to know how many teevee's McCann smashed watching Puig showboat on a non-homerun. I nearly smashed a few myself.

The Cards better not blow this like they did last year. I mean, last year, it was good that they blew it (against Barry Zito LOL), but this year, they need to not blow it.

vCash

And whoever saved the game for the Cardinals hit 101 on the pitching gun. :respect:
    My husband's cousin.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast