Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

vCash
    But Wilson was the reason I started following the Giants. Obviously, I like most of the other players a great deal as well now, but.

You know.

The Beard.

vCash
    I do see your dilemma, but I think it's fine to stop short of wanting a favorite player to do (too) well when he's playing against your favorite team. You should just hope for a no-decision

vCash
    The 19-3 Giants/Dodgers game yesterday is my most favoritest game ever.

I hope they saved some hits for Vogelsong, though.

vCash
    I just read another good article about Rivera's "retirement tour", focusing on some of the people he's met and spoken with. It never gets old - what a great player and person.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I just read another good article about Rivera's "retirement tour", focusing on some of the people he's met and spoken with. It never gets old - what a great player and person.
    Thanks for posting! He's quite a man.

vCash
    Well, the Braves clinched. So we get to hear the tomahawk chop into October. Yay. Not. And Upton's "Hey I trapped this ball but I'm going to pretend I caught it even though we're in first place and playing the hapless Cubs" move is bad, bad karma. You wanna pull that against the Dodgers in the postseason? Fine. Against the Cubs? Not cool.

Oh, and the A's. Yeah.

Anyone have any comment on poolgate? When the Dodgers jumped in the Diamondbacks' pool? I have no issues with it since the Diamondback owners won't let fans of opposing teams who sit behind home plate wear the opposing teams shirts or colors. So eff you, Diamondbacks. I hope some other teams clinch there and jump in your pool as well.

vCash
    That is not nice! Upton didn't really do anything others haven't done before him and it's not that big a deal, especially with the correct ruling having been made (even the Cubs and their fans don't seem to care that much). This is Atlanta's first division championship since 2005 (when several of their current players were still in school), yay Braves! And congrats to the A's as well - their continuing success despite having no budget to work with at least merits some smileys. So, smileys and hugs for everyone

Re the pool incident, I thought Brandon McCarthy said it best when he tweeted that they'd just have to make sure they're the ones celebrating next season. But this sign was also good.

vCash
    Can you Braves fans talk to your guys about being classy? Act like champions. Act like you've been to the postseason before. Because that stupid stunt you just pulled is probably going to get some of your key players suspended.

And I don't give a rat's ass who "started" it. You don't stop a guy from crossing home plate. Suck it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Can you Braves fans talk to your guys about being classy? Act like champions. Act like you've been to the postseason before. Because that stupid stunt you just pulled is probably going to get some of your key players suspended.

And I don't give a rat's ass who "started" it. You don't stop a guy from crossing home plate. Suck it up.

Carlos Gomez needs to get control of himself. He was acting like a maniac.

Go Braves! It's time for Choptober!

vCash

I'm too many time zones away.

I didn't watch the game but saw some highlights, and while McCann could have had that chat at home plate, Gomez was completely out of line, shouting at everyone as he rounded the bases (BBTN supported McCann in this one). Apparently this is because Maholm hit him with a pitch. In June. "Retaliating" because someone hit you with a pitch three months ago is ridiculous. If there was someone using the "he started it" argument, it's Gomez, not the Braves, and he has since gone on Twitter to apologize, FWIW.

We'll see what happens with suspensions. McCann didn't get ejected during the game, Laird's a backup, and Freeman very strongly denied throwing any punches. If there's a suspension I am sure it will be appealed, and it would not apply to the postseason anyway. As for that, the Braves have been streaky all year regardless of who's playing for them or against them, and the playoffs are a crapshoot. Either they'll get hot again, or they'll go home early.

I see the Yankees have been eliminated. It's kind of sad that Rivera's career ends like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Maholm hit him with a pitch[/URL]. In June. "Retaliating" because someone hit you with a pitch three months ago is ridiculous. If there was someone using the "he started it" argument, it's Gomez, not the Braves, and he has since gone on Twitter to apologize, FWIW.
    Actually, it's not that uncommon to retaliate months after the fact. Mostly because the teams can go months without seeing the other team on their schedule. You could see that Gomez was pissed about something, it's interesting that he hit that homer while really pissed off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Actually, it's not that uncommon to retaliate months after the fact. Mostly because the teams can go months without seeing the other team on their schedule. You could see that Gomez was pissed about something, it's interesting that he hit that homer while really pissed off.
    Well, yes. That can happen. But having looked up the game report from June and related information, that's not really applicable in this case, because Gomez and the Brewers had the opportunity to retaliate during that game - the HBP happened in the 1st. I don't even know if it was intentional as he suggests, but there's no such indication in the game report, and Gomez had another AB after it happened. Even if it was intentional, the Brewers hit McCann in the same game, so that should have been it (though I don't know if it was intentional, either). Gomez was injured in that game, but that happened because he hit the wall making a catch, and certainly Maholm can't be blamed for that. If you're upset about an HBP, you should make it known when it happens, not mope for three months and then act like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

I just don't see why the Braves should be getting criticized as if they are entirely at fault for every altercation or bad play they're involved in.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 09-26-2013 at 10:38 AM.

vCash
    Because McCann seems to be involved in a lot of these instances.

vCash
    Because McCann seems to be involved in a lot of these instances.
    He was involved in two that I'm aware of: with Gomez last night and with Jose Fernandez, neither of whom acted with great class and dignity at the time. They both ended up apologizing for their actions and had no issue with McCann's; I think that kind of tells you what you need to know right there. He's the catcher and has been with the Braves the longest (other than the injured Tim Hudson) so it's not surprising that he'll occasionally be the one to step up or speak out.

Also, the stuff I've been seeing about the Braves hasn't been limited to Brian McCann.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 09-26-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    The Tigers clinched the AL Central title last night. With class, I might add.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    The Tigers clinched the AL Central title last night. With class, I might add.
    WTG Tigers (my second favourite baseball team). Will be cheering for them in the post season.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    I have no opinion about the Tigers, but congrats

Mariano Rivera pitched at Yankee Stadium for the last time yesterday (entry/exit). Even if you don't like the Yankees (and really, who does?) that was really moving, especially sending Jeter and Pettitte out to the mound to take him out of the game.

In less inspiring Yankees news, Robinson Cano wants a lot of money. I seriously hope nobody will give him such a ludicrous contract.

vCash
    I would really hope that after the disastrous contracts of A-Rod, Pujols, Hamiliton and Zito, (to name a few), that no one would offer him that. But there are teams with deep pockets and seemingly little sense, so who knows?

vCash
    I would really hope that after the disastrous contracts of A-Rod, Pujols, Hamiliton and Zito, (to name a few), that no one would offer him that. But there are teams with deep pockets and seemingly little sense, so who knows?
    I figure the Rangers might do it, especially if they end up missing the playoffs. Having no income tax there, they could maybe offer a bit less but the net would still be very high.

BTW, what's this about Wilson getting into a spat with Giants' management? I thought he left on relatively good terms.

vCash
    I saw that today. Not sure which side to believe, but it's over the World Series ring. Wilson apparently just told them to put in his locker, but then wanted an on field ceremony like Uribe got in 2011. The Giants say he never responded to their calls about the ring.

The whole thing is just weird and I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I know Wilson was pissed they didn't renew his contract last year (and I totally understand why they didn't) and probably also pissed that they didn't sign him this year. It's not like the Giants bullpen has been awesome or something recently. And he worked with the Giants pitching coach for a week before throwing for other teams. Did they not see how good he was? Jaysus.

Anyway. He should've done that in private. It was probably Lincecum's last game with the Giants and it was a dick move to draw the attention away from that.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast