Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Not looking good for my Tigers. Those bats need to wake up today or they're in for a long rest over the winter.

vCash
    The sucky thing about the postseason is that while it's cool to get in, nine teams and their fans will walk away having watched someone else celebrate.

Of course, for the one team that does go home happy, it's a fun time

I read somewhere that the Braves went into an elimination game, on the road, against a team with more than twice their salary budget, with a DFAd starting pitcher and their third backup 2B of the season (who had been DFAd by the Royals) - backups 1 and 2 having had season ending surgery and Uggla, who is technically the starter, having played himself off the post-season roster. They got a big hit from a sixth outfielder best known for licking bats. They had an infielder with a broken nose, an outfielder who was actually a mediocre catcher, three injured setup men and an Upton who couldn't hit his weight. They went as far as they could go. But considering who they threw out there, it would have been epic had they advanced; the Dodgers getting beaten by Freddy Garcia, Elliot Johnson and Jose Constanza would have been one for the ages. So I can't help but wonder what might have happened had Craig Kimbrel been sent in for a 6-out save...

Maybe next year.

vCash
    I couldn't believe they didn't send out Kimbrel. Someone said they were saving his arm for game five, but, dude, YOU HAVE TO GET TO GAME FIVE.

Kershaw had some crappy defense behind him as well. Neither of his runs were earned.

And basically, the 2010 Giants won the game for the 2013 Dodgers.

Still can't believe the Giants didn't sign Wilson.

vCash
    WTG Tigers! Made the game interesting in the top of the ninth (well at least it seemed to be that way given I was following it on the internet where you get lots of information but no actual video) since I was checking in on the game while at a hockey game -- thank you internet!

Game five should/could be a doozie!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I couldn't believe they didn't send out Kimbrel. Someone said they were saving his arm for game five, but, dude, YOU HAVE TO GET TO GAME FIVE.
    Neither could Kimbrel.

I think the rationale was that Kimbrel had no experience with that sort of save situation and it might not be the best time for him to get such experience. Well, now he'll certainly be well-rested for 2014 spring training.

And basically, the 2010 Giants won the game for the 2013 Dodgers.
    There were also a lot of parallels between this year's Braves and the 2010 ones (who faced the Giants in the NLDS that year) in terms of injuries/playoff expectations; at least two Braves websites had posts about that scenario being a concern, one as far back as August. I hope the parallels between the Giants and the Dodgers end with beating the Braves in the NLDS. I would actually rather see the Cardinals in the WS, and I do not like the Cards. But at least they mostly develop their own talent, which I can respect.

On a somewhat related note, the payroll disparities in baseball are so huge right now and I wish MLB would address this, because it is not a level playing field: for example, three division series this year have/had one team with more than twice the payroll of the other, and the higher budget teams have already won two of those. I doubt there's a salary cap in baseball's future, though, not even a relatively soft one. Until then, I think I'll support the lower-budget teams in any matchup, unless they have really awful owners or are playing the Braves.

vCash

Still can't believe the Giants didn't sign Wilson.
    -

Don't forget, managers HATE to get second guessed. Fredi Gonzales knew if he brought Kimbrell in and it didn't work, he'd get creamed in the press. Its fascinating to me how the thought of being second guessed impacts managers decisions.

Since Wilson is throwing 94-95mph, the Giants had to know that, so the reason they didn't sign him must lie outside his health. Essentially they must have been tired of his act. And the subsequent incident between Wilson and Larry Baer (Giants President) at AT&T Park pretty much shows that the relationship between the team and Wilson had completely broken down. Too bad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Don't forget, managers HATE to get second guessed. Fredi Gonzales knew if he brought Kimbrell in and it didn't work, he'd get creamed in the press. Its fascinating to me how the thought of being second guessed impacts managers decisions.
    This is true. It's one thing to do the conventional thing and have it turn out badly - but if you do something more unusual (such as bringing in the closer in a high leverage situation outside the 9th inning) and it doesn't pan out, the criticism can be even worse.

There are rumors that someone will pay for the disappointing showing in the NLDS, but honestly, I don't think either Frank Wren or Fredi Gonzalez was to blame for this specifically. Gonzalez made some bad decisions, but so did Mattingly (someone wrote somewhere that the 7th inning in game 2 set baseball back about 40 years ). Wren signed BJ Upton and traded for Uggla, but the Braves have also done a really good job of drafting and developing talent (Heyward, Freeman, Kimbrel, Simmons, etc.) and findings guys in the scrap heap who end up contributing. It came down to too many injuries and too many people underperforming, and they had little margin left for error.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    WTG Tigers! Made the game interesting in the top of the ninth (well at least it seemed to be that way given I was following it on the internet where you get lots of information but no actual video) since I was checking in on the game while at a hockey game -- thank you internet!

Game five should/could be a doozie!

Wonder what time it's on. I hate these late games on the west coast (OT - so glad the Red Wings are out of that conference!).

vCash
    What's been unspoken here in LA is that Mattingly really isn't a good game manager, and the team has been winning in spite of what he's been doing. Donny Baseball at least has been smart enough to get out of the way of his players, but mistakes get amplified in the post season. Just ask Dusty Baker about that.

vCash
    I don't like this NLCS matchup. And I don't like that the Pirates won't make a nice October run. Basically I don't like the postseason this year. Other than Pittsburgh making it out of the wild card game (sorry, Heather) nothing good has happened.

Also, it's now three out of the four division series that have been won by the team with the higher payroll (the Cards' is not double that of the Pirates, but it is much higher).

vCash
    If the A's or Tigers don't make it, I'm rooting for a meteor.

As it is, it will be difficult to root for an AL team.

vCash
    If the A's or Tigers don't make it, I'm rooting for a meteor.
    If the WS ends up being Boston-whoever, the sports gods will owe us some good results at the Olympics.

vCash
    And the Tigers pull off the "W" in Oakland. It came mighty close to going extra innings. Verlander is a MONSTER and I say that in the nicest way possible. Had 16 outs in a row, a no hitter for most of "his" part of the game, over 100 pitches made. I really admire both he and his coaching staff for leaving him out there to do the job that he did.

Now it's on to Boston.

Go Tigers. ROAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR!
    Crazy about sports!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Tigers You had me worried there for a bit in that series, guys. Don't do that to me again!

I don't think the A's stood a chance against Verlander yesterday. He was pretty much perfect last night. It was quite a performance, especially in light of his struggles earlier in the season.

vCash
    Well, I'm happy for you Tigers fans and they are probably the most appealing team left I've decided Tigers vs. Cardinals is my preferred World Series (probably MLB's least preferred series, too).

Still, that's a clean sweep for the higher budget teams in the division series. The more I think about it the more it bothers me - one of the issues people have with PEDs is that it creates an unfair and non-level playing field; how is the disparity between the high budget and low budget teams not doing the same? Baseball really needs some limits in terms of both minimum and maximum payrolls.

I know, the MLBPA will never go for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I hope the parallels between the Giants and the Dodgers end with beating the Braves in the NLDS. I would actually rather see the Cardinals in the WS, and I do not like the Cards. But at least they mostly develop their own talent, which I can respect.
    Dodgers don't develop their own talent? That's a new one. I guess that's why Baseball Weekly credited them with running the best farm system of the past 30 years.

vCash
    Who on the Dodgers is homegrown? The only ones I can think of are Kershaw and Puig. And Scott Van Slyke, but I'm not sure if he made the playoff roster. Wait, did Puig even come up through the farm system? Or was he signed as a free agent?

vCash
    Who on the Dodgers is homegrown? The only ones I can think of are Kershaw and Puig. And Scott Van Slyke, but I'm not sure if he made the playoff roster. Wait, did Puig even come up through the farm system? Or was he signed as a free agent?
    Well for starters, there's a little known player you may have heard of called Matt Kemp.

Also, off the top of my head there's

Chad Billingsley
    Dee Gordon
    Elian Herrera
    Nick Buss
    Scott Elbert
    Javy Guerra

There has to be more but I'm not looking up the entire roster.

vCash
    Eh, Matt Kemp is always broken.

Of the others you listed, Dee Gordon is the only one I recognize.

vCash
    Eh, Matt Kemp is always broken.

Of the others you listed, Dee Gordon is the only one I recognize.
    If you are anything more than a casual fan, I can't believe you haven't heard of some of the guys, especially Billingsley, one of the best pitchers in baseball and an all-star to boot. And broken or not, Kemp is one of the reasons the Dodgers are in the post season while others are home in their recliners watching on TV.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast