Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Evidently some of the story is that Wilson is also pissed about the Giants still using his image even though he plays for the hated Dodgers now. Baer, the G's President, denies that story, which came from a fan that sat near Baer. But it blends in with the idea that Wilson is really pissed at the team.

PL is correct, a lot of this ire comes from the Giants not picking up his option for 2013, and then not signing him during this summer. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, because no team would have picked up that option. Wilson was on his second Tommy John surgery, and the stats for people returning to good form after a second TJ surgeries is very low. And secondly, the Giants already had a closer in place in Sergio Romo. Wilson is the type to hold a grudge, so that's where this is coming from.

Funny, I was watching the game last night on the Dodgers feed, and right at the end of the broadcast they were showing Wilson going at Baer, and I'm screaming at the TV, "Vin, don't let them go to commercial" yet they did and we missed the story. Dang

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Well, the Braves clinched. So we get to hear the tomahawk chop into October. Yay. Not.
    The tomahawk chop may be tedious, but at least Atlanta Fans aren't offing fans of their rivals like the senseless murder that took place following the Dodgers/Giants game on Wednesday . It's a sport, FFS, and it's difficult to fathom killing another person over a damned ballgame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    it's difficult to fathom killing another person over a damned ballgame.
    Yes, it is. That's why it's not a common occurence, thankfully. Just like the Bryan Stow incident was a one-off incident.

Anyway, back to Wilson, I just wanted to say that it's sort of ludicrous for Giants management to say they couldn't get in contact with him, when everyone who watches the games knows that Wilson regularly texted the announcers during games and he was also in regular contact with Matt Cain and Jeremy Affeldt.

vCash
    But do we know whether Wilson got the messages and decided to ignore them? He was invited to the ring ceremony and didn't show, now he's pissed? It's very much out of character for the Giants to diss players, even when they aren't on the team anymore. In 2011, they team held a special ceremony before a game to give Juan Uribe his ring, even though he was with the Dodgers then. I've got to believe they'd have done the same for Wilson. There's some disconnect going on here that we just don't know about.

vCash
    Yeah, I mentioned the Uribe thing upthread. I don't know if Wilson was expecting that and was upset he didn't get it or what. But the Dodgers faced the Giants six times since Wilson has been with them, and they couldn't work something out? That's just weird.

vCash
    Wilson is getting crushed by the SF media for this. Most of them take the tact that this relates back to his option not getting picked up. A business decision that he took personally.

We just don't know how much contact there was between the parties. And if Wilson has rebuffed their earlier contacts, why would the Giants go back to him again?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    The Cardinals clinched the NL Central... which means we're destined for a terrible post season. It just always seems to work out that way.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Boo Cardinals! There might be a three way tie for the wild card in the AL.....Central? The AL is all hazy to me.

KHenry, I'm watching today's game and Heath Hembree came in. I totally forgot the front office issued "the closer of the future" number 38. That HAD to be deliberate. And that had to sting.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    My Reds will be one of the two Wild Card teams fighting for their playoff lives in Tuesday night's WC game and they're currently playing like they're walking through molasses while 3/5 of our starting rotation seems to be held together with duct tape and super glue. Yeah, I feel good about the post season......not.

Sigh.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Well, you want them to get hot during the playoffs, not before. So maybe it's a good sign? And if they play the Cardinals, they'd better win.

vCash
    Wow, the Marlins just ended their 100 loss season by pitching a no-hitter against the division champion Tigers. And it wasn't even Jose Fernandez pitching! Not to mention it was a scoreless game that went to the bottom of the 9th and they won on a wild pitch.

Sometimes baseball just defies belief.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 09-29-2013 at 08:58 PM.

vCash
    That's why baseball is awesome.

vCash
    Adding to the fun is that Henderson Alvarez - that would be the winning pitcher - got to watch the wacky ending from the on deck circle. I'd be surprised if any other MLB no hitter has ended with the pitcher in the on deck circle. Or if there was another 100-loss team that had such a happy end to their season.

Baseball is so awesome.

vCash
    well, the playoff game to be the second wild card was quite good. I was rooting for David Price because he tweets pictures of his adorable dog, Astro. (hey, I have to find reasons to cheer for teams with the eville DH )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    My Reds will be one of the two Wild Card teams fighting for their playoff lives in Tuesday night's WC game and they're currently playing like they're walking through molasses while 3/5 of our starting rotation seems to be held together with duct tape and super glue. Yeah, I feel good about the post season......not.
    I'm sorry about your Reds, Heather. I'll admit to being happy for the Pirates and their fans, but the single-elimination wild card game is evil and must be stopped. It especially annoys me when people say "just win your division" when the wild cards are sometimes better than certain division winners, and merely had the bad fortune of playing in the same division as a really good team.

I blame Bud Selig for everything.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    In our house we would love a Tigers/Pirates World Series. DH is from Pennsylvania - although I think he'd be cheering for the Tigers ( unlike the Red Wings/Penguins Stanley Cup years) because he follows them pretty closely.

vCash
    I really wanted the Indians to go through.

Also, re: Dodgers v. Braves. Can they both lose? Can Brian Wilson pitch well, but both teams still lose?

I'm so torn.

vCash
    Go Braves!

vCash
    Clayton Kershaw pitching on short rest. Should be interesting.

Also, in the Red Sox - Rays game, which is going on its 4th hour, both DHs are out. So at least now they are playing real baseball.

vCash
    Kershaw can't beat Freddy Garcia!

But yeah, while Garcia did well, I kind of knew that game 2 was going to be the Braves' last win of the season. It's been looking for a while like injuries and under-performance issues had caught up with them, and a team on a mid-sized budget only has so much room for error. At least the scheduling meant I couldn't watch any of it... since the Braves missed out on the postseason in 2011, missed out on the NLDS last year, and have now been eliminated in the NLDS, maybe they're working their way up? At this rate they are in line to win it all in 2016

If the World Series ends up being Boston vs. either STL or LA, I will be very unhappy. Pittsburgh vs. Oakland is my best case scenario at the moment. Pirates against any team that is not Boston is also good.

Good thing the grand prix season is about to start.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast