Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

vCash
    Something really needs to be done about the umpires. Every freaking day you're hearing about at least 1 blown call.
    I'm totally in favor of expanded use of instant replay at this point.

The Angels are on an 8 game winning streak.
    Pujols really needs to cut down on the suck. He should really be moved back in the batting order until he starts hitting, but Scioscia won't do it. That 10-year contract given to Scioscia is looking more and more like a bad idea imo. His obsession with small ball is annoying considering he doesn't have that type of team anymore.
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 05-27-2013 at 09:05 AM.

vCash
    Ian Kennedy only got ten days for throwing at Zach Grienke's head, and several others were suspended and/or fine. I think Kennedy should have to miss at least four starts. He essentially misses one, and gets a bit of extra rest. I'm not impressed.

vCash
    Blue Jays seem to have found their "mojo" along with timely hitting, small ball, long ball and decent pitching from their starters.
    Crazy about sports!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    NO HITTER ALERT: Reds pitcher Homer Bailey has now thrown TWO no hitters in his career after no hitting the Giants on Tuesday night. The dude has thrown TWO NO HITTERS in less than a year. I can't wrap my mind around that! That's so awesome and I'm super stoked my Reds came home from their abysmal road trip and didn't bring the bad baseball home with them. GO REDS and congrats Homer!!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    NO HITTER ALERT: Reds pitcher Homer Bailey has now thrown TWO no hitters in his career after no hitting the Giants on Tuesday night. The dude has thrown TWO NO HITTERS in less than a year. I can't wrap my mind around that! That's so awesome and I'm super stoked my Reds came home from their abysmal road trip and didn't bring the bad baseball home with them. GO REDS and congrats Homer!!!
    Johnny Vander Meer and Nolan Ryan would be unimpressed

I joke, of course - it's a cool achievement, and good for him. Also, Homer is an awesome name for a baseball player, even if it's not one who's going to hit many (any?) of them

Meanwhile, I see that Cole Hamels won the Cole vs. Hamels pitching matchup yesterday.

vCash
    While in Las Vegas earlier this year, I bet on the Giants to win the World Series. I don't know what I did with the ticket, and at this point, I suspect it doesn't really matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    While in Las Vegas earlier this year, I bet on the Giants to win the World Series. I don't know what I did with the ticket, and at this point, I suspect it doesn't really matter.

OTOH, you did get two World Series wins in three years. I'm sure Cubs fans would love to trade places... (and lots of other fans, too!) and if this trend continues, you should enjoy next season more

I know the All Star Final Vote thing is a shameless publicity stunt by MLB, but I'm happy that Freddie Freeman got in. Hugs for everyone!

vCash
    2010 doesn't count because I wasn't watching baseball then. (Stopped when it looked like steroids were taking over).

I became a fan again in 2011. It's hard to resist the beard when you see it in person.

And I hope to see him again in Major League uniform next season. Preferably a giants one.

vCash
    2010 doesn't count because I wasn't watching baseball then. (Stopped when it looked like steroids were taking over).

I became a fan again in 2011. It's hard to resist the beard when you see it in person.
    That's still 50% of the seasons you've been a fan! I have no sympathy, even Yankees fans don't have it that good

I never particularly cared about PEDs in baseball one way or another; it's not like baseball players of the past were squeaky clean, either, they just used different substances. I do care that there is no level playing field money-wise; that's not right. But baseball is a habit I can't kick, though I have tried repeatedly.

Re Wilson, I hope you get your wish

ETA: and you just got to enjoy a no-hitter! I see what you did there, not mentioning it in your post while the game was on... (I hope Lincecum's arm survives all those pitches he threw)
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 07-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.

vCash
    With the All Star game next week, Timmy will have more than a week to recover from tonight's awesome performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

ETA: and you just got to enjoy a no-hitter! I see what you did there, not mentioning it in your post while the game was on... (I hope Lincecum's arm survives all those pitches he threw)
    Gah. Those last two innings were so stressful. I don't deal well with uncertainty. Why do I like baseball again?

vCash
    Gah. Those last two innings were so stressful. I don't deal well with uncertainty. Why do I like baseball again?
    For those brief moments of pure happiness when your suffering is rewarded beyond your expectations. That is what true fandom is all about: not basking in reflected glory, but the virtue of being a dedicated fan rewarded.

Plus, the cute guys help.

Julio Teheran came close to a no-hitter for the Braves earlier this season, but the stupid announcers ruined it and it ended up being a one-hitter.

vCash
    Aaaaaand Ryan Braun is suspended for the rest of the season.

Good.

vCash
    My brother and I had a discussion the other day about drug testing and PED policies in different sports leagues; it turns out that we both pretty much agreed that baseball may actually be better off following the example of the NFL and the NBA and being less strict and public about the issue. It's not as though baseball was ever clean of various substances and other forms of cheating, including by people who ended up in the Hall of Fame, and I'm not sure it's in MLB's best interest to make itself appear as a league filled with confirmed cheats. Sometimes ambiguity works better - unless we all choose to believe that everyone in the NFL is clean?

Also Bud Selig et al. are a bunch of hypocrites; MLB's popularity benefited from the high-octane offense of the steroid era, but now they act as though they were completely oblivious back then. As if it wasn't clear that half the players were juicing back then, if not more.

OTOH, for a player from Milwaukee to get into trouble, Braun's actions must have been truly egregious.

vCash
    Logan Morrison, of the Marlins, said, "Hey, you know we're all clean. We haven't scored a run in 37 innings."

vCash
    Logan Morrison, of the Marlins, said, "Hey, you know we're all clean. We haven't scored a run in 37 innings."

LoMo is a funny guy... But really, all the PEDs in the world couldn't turn the 2013 Marlins into a good team

vCash
    Actually, MLB AND the Players Union are going to get tougher rather than more lenient. Clean Players are getting tired of being associated with the cheaters, and there is a groundswell of support for even harsher penalties. A leading sportswriter commented that a pitcher told him that he intentionally beaned Braun because of his PED usage. The players anger towards the cheaters is not something to be dismissed

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if both sides opened up the CBA and put in stronger penalties in the next season or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Actually, MLB AND the Players Union are going to get tougher rather than more lenient. Clean Players are getting tired of being associated with the cheaters, and there is a groundswell of support for even harsher penalties. A leading sportswriter commented that a pitcher told him that he intentionally beaned Braun because of his PED usage. The players anger towards the cheaters is not something to be dismissed

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if both sides opened up the CBA and put in stronger penalties in the next season or two.
    That's disgusting. Throwing intentionally at someone may be considered acceptable in baseball under very specific circumstances, but it's not a pitcher's job to punish someone for PED use, it's the league's job. Greg Maddux didn't throw at PED users, he just got them out. Whoever it is should make a statement by being better, not by being violent.

I do think that getting tougher will only make people perceive baseball as dirtier, which is exactly what happened to cycling (which still isn't clean, for that matter). These days even allegations of use can blemish an athlete's reputation, without any shred of evidence that they did anything inappropriate. And as I noted earlier, it's not like there was no substance use (and various forms of cheating) even before the so-called steroid era. Personally, I find the language around PED use hyperbolic and the intensity of the dislike toward those involved out of proportion to the actual offense. There are professional athletes who did actual criminal things, including violent offenses and sex crimes, that weren't the target of the hatred Braun currently seems to inspire.

Obviously mine is not a popular opinion, but I think that there need to be more nuanced policies regarding PED use in sports. If it were up to me, I'd allow substances that allow one's body to recover faster if they are medically indicated and properly supervised. I don't see how it's a bad thing, or a form of "cheating", to try and recover faster so that you can train more effectively - especially if it's a player who's been injured. I don't believe that it's more desirable for them to recover more slowly, have a harder time, and contribute less to their team. Personally I care more about fair competition and a level playing field; sports are full of disparities in funding, in access to training facilities and high quality coaching, to the best sports equipment, to better medical care and to advances in nutrition. PEDs are by no means the only things that can create an uneven playing field and unfair advantages.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 07-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash

I'm pretty sure all the Jays are clean as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Obviously mine is not a popular opinion, but I think that there need to be more nuanced policies regarding PED use in sports. If it were up to me, I'd allow substances that allow one's body to recover faster if they are medically indicated and properly supervised. I don't see how it's a bad thing, or a form of "cheating", to try and recover faster so that you can train more effectively - especially if it's a player who's been injured. I don't believe that it's more desirable for them to recover more slowly, have a harder time, and contribute less to their team.
    I don't think anyone would begrudge an athlete that. I wouldn't. But that isn't how they are being used at all.

Sorry, I know there are other ways to cheat, blah blah blah, but as I've already stated, PEDs drove me away from the sport once before. I think they're disgusting.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast