Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Actually alixana, the HOF does have a veterans committee, which is used to elect players that might have been overlooked during their original eligibility. And players do make up part of that committee. But Morris is going to have to wait a long time before he becomes eligible for the committee.

And Murphy's case for the HOF isn't anywhere near as good as Morris'. While Dale was just about the best player in MLB for a couple of years, his years of excellence were actually pretty short. He also doesn't have any post-season heroics, wheras Morris is one of the better big game pitchers of all time.

And while some players have had contentious relationships with the media over the years, for the most part, the writers would elect Satan himself if he had the numbers. Put it this way, had Bonds retired after the 1998 season before his PED use started, he gets in a walk, no matter what people thought of him as a person.

Finally, over the past 10 years a lot of the writers have embraced advanced metrics stats. While it's not universally used, it's incorrect to think that they aren't being used. What you see is most of the newer, younger writers who are using them in their assessment process. But next year, you don't need any stats to elect Greg Maddux, you just know.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Actually alixana, the HOF does have a veterans committee, which is used to elect players that might have been overlooked during their original eligibility. And players do make up part of that committee. But Morris is going to have to wait a long time before he becomes eligible for the committee.
    Yes, I'm aware .. it just seems that they're all dead before they get voted in (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a little). It would be nice to honour them while they're still alive!

vCash
    But you can't build a HoF case based largely on game 7 of the 1991 World Series... yes, I know that's not the only example - but it's about a career's worth of games, not just a handful of them.

Finally, over the past 10 years a lot of the writers have embraced advanced metrics stats. While it's not universally used, it's incorrect to think that they aren't being used. What you see is most of the newer, younger writers who are using them in their assessment process. But next year, you don't need any stats to elect Greg Maddux, you just know.
    All the numbers are in his favor, and nobody could ever seriously argue that he was using PEDs. Just look at the guy. And yet some voters will still not vote for him on the first ballot, based on some idiotic principle.

Anyway, chicks dig the long ball sure looks different in hindsight, doesn't it?

vCash
    You are correct, there are a few demented writers who feel that nobody should be 100% of the votes, because Willie Mays didn't, or Hank Aaron, or Babe Ruth, or whomever the writer feels got slighted. It's stupid, but it's a fact.

If it wasn't such a crowded ballot next year, I'd be willing to be that Maddux could challenge Tom Seaver for the highest % of votes in an election. He has no baggage, no taint to his name. It's like they took one of the guys off The Big Bang Theory, gave him a uniform, stuck him on the mound and watch him win 355 games, 4 Cy Youngs, and a gazillion Gold Glove awards.

Greg Maddux was simply an artist on the mound, a nerdy artist, a genious pitching artist to be sure.

vCash
    If it wasn't such a crowded ballot next year, I'd be willing to be that Maddux could challenge Tom Seaver for the highest % of votes in an election. He has no baggage, no taint to his name. It's like they took one of the guys off The Big Bang Theory, gave him a uniform, stuck him on the mound and watch him win 355 games, 4 Cy Youngs, and a gazillion Gold Glove awards.

Greg Maddux was simply an artist on the mound, a nerdy artist, a genious pitching artist to be sure.
    I love that his response to being told how smart he was "you know what makes you smart? Locate your fastball down and away. That is what makes you smart." If only it were that simple... (though it does help).

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    The Blue Jays are in the midst of their Annual Winter Tour and Saskatoon is the stop for today and tomorrow too I think. The guys were invited to the Granite Curling Club to try out Canada's Roaring Game. Haven't seen any vids yet, but have seen some of the guys in the hack and about to make their first attempts at throwing a stone.

I joined Twitter on the Weekend and have really been enjoying following the Tour that way. Jamie Campbell from Sportsnet is also w/them and he shared this w/us about an hour ago....

The new cover for MLB's The Show 13

Not sure who did it, but I thought it was priceless and certainly made me smile.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Pitchers and catchers for my Reds report one month from TOMORROW!!!! The Reds Caravan is coming up two weeks from tomorrow and I am attending that for the first time which is really exciting. It's basically a fan event that travels throughout the region and several of my fave players will be at the stops. It's free to the public and there are all kinds of giveaways and fun events at each stop. Dang, I am SO ready for baseball to be back!

My mom and I are thinking about heading to Arizona for spring training in March so I'm excited about this possibility. I've never attended it before and I'm stoked about having a rare vacation that involves me being outside and able to do sightseeing between events and that doesn't involve 12-14 hours in a cold arena, LOL
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Um. I sat through a spring training game in a damn snowstorm. Pack for all seasons.

vCash
    So I just figured out I could watch the World Series on my At Bat app on my iPad. Some of you may recall that I stopped watching the games after the Giants lost every game I watched, and won when I only listened. So I have not actually, you know, SEEN the World Series.

Watching game one now. And experiencing a little gloating at the announcers "The Tigers and Verlander are going to smash the Giants."

um, sorry, sk8er1964. Sort of.

vCash
    In honour of the 20th Anniversary of it happening, Sportsnet reshowed all of the games of the Blue Jays winning our 1st World Series back in 1991 over the Holiday period. Sigh....Good times!!! So I know in a way how you're feeling PL.

Poor JP Arenciba had a bit of a problem during the Jays final Winter Tour stop today in Edmonton. He had a little girl about a Year old I'd guess in his lap, all dolled up in her Blue Jays gear for her Parents to take their picture together and then....She saw his gold chain and was NOT letting go after grabbing it.

Those poor parents looked so embrassed, but he laughed it off. Like he said, little ones love shiny things and it was all good.

vCash
    The Jays put up the video of the Winter Tour's visit to the Granite Curling Club in Saskatoon, as well as taking in that night's Saskatoon Blades game...

MLB.com ~ Toronto Blue Jays ~ Blue Jays On Ice

vCash
    I'm sorry I don't have a link, but it was all over Twitter tonight, so...

Hall of Famer Stan "The Man" Musial has passed away according to several sources. Including Jays Sportsnet host Jamie Campbell, so he would know about stuff happening in Baseball.

My condolences to his fans, friends and Family. Rest in Peace Sir.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    One of the greatest Orioles managers of all time, Earl Weaver, also passed away this weekend. Ironically, he died the day before the Orioles hosted their annual Fanfest celebration (died Friday and the celebration was yesterday) so fans got a bit of a shock if they attended the event and didn't check social media or the news before they got there. Definitely one of the sadder weekends in the baseball world. RIP Mr. Weaver and RIP Mr. Musial.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Oh, I hadn't heard that we lost Earl this weekend too. Thanks for letting us know Heather, as w/Cdns, NHL, the Aussie Open and NFL Playoffs all being on this weekend, I haven't seen a newscast since 6pm EST Friday night.

Sigh...Nobody and I mean *nobody* could get into the face of an Ump for an argument like Earl Weaver could and did on several occasions. He will be missed and may he Rest In Peace.

Just me
    vCash
    RIP Mr. Musial. My father was a die-hard Tigers fan but the ballplayer he spoke of with the most respect was Stan Musial. I had the pleasure of working with his nephew years ago when he was a student where I am employed.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    WEEEEEEEEE!!!! I just found out that it's about 95% certain that Cincinnati is getting the All Star Game in 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS NEWS!!! (Sorry for the gushing but we're one of the only 'newish' ballparks left that hasn't hosted it yet. This is huge and awesome news for my city! )

vCash
    Congrats Heather!!! Going to a MLB All Star Game is one of my bucket list things.

vCash
    What's pure and simple a Classy Act?

What the St Louis Blues wore for the Pre Game Warm up skate before their NHL game tonight

Photo from Kelly Chase on Twitter.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    Well, the Superbowl is finally over so that can only mean one thing...

HAPPY BASEBALL SEASON EVERYONE!!!!!!

vCash
    Yes, I'm ready for pitchers and catchers to report.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast