Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash

Tom Daley Comes Out

Shocking, I know.

Via Youtube
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Wow. More power to him!

*grumbles* The best looking ones are always taken or gay.

Vacant
    vCash
    While I'm not shocked I do applaud his bravery. As famous as he is and as young as he still is, to come out this way must have been very traumatic and to handle this so maturely is to be applauded. Not to mention the help this move will give to others facing a similar dilemma. Well done Tom

vCash
    I misread this as "Tom Delay," former US Congressman, and I was shocked!

Oh, that guy. The hot diver, not surprised. Good for him.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    No real surprise but glad he could do it on his own terms. Well done Tom!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I misread this as "Tom Delay," former US Congressman, and I was shocked!
    Yeah, that would have been really, really shocking.

I think Tom doing a youtube video where no one can edit what he says is a smart way to do it. Though, if he wants to avoid personal questions in unrelated interviews or rumors and speculation, adding in the "of course I still fancy girls" isn't going to help him. It seems that society still hasn't accepted the idea of being bi. Though I guess that statement doesn't really say if he is or not, maybe he still doesn't know what his 'label' is?
    Is Tom still an active diver? I think it is a shame how many sportsmen feel like they still have to hide this.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Is Tom still an active diver?
    If you mean is he still competing, then yes. I believe he is still only 20 and is aiming for Rio.

If it's the other meaning of "active", I can't help you out with an answer.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I meant still competing, not retired. I don't know what other meaning there is.

vCash
    As a gay man, I applaud Tom for having the courage to speak out. When you have persistent rumours following you around and millions of followers it can be a very tough thing, but good on him for doing it on his own terms! As for "fancying girls" he very well still does and that's no one's business but his own. It could be he never dates another woman, it could be he marries a woman, that's for him to determine. I say congrats Tom and wish you all the happiness in the world!
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    As for "fancying girls" he very well still does and that's no one's business but his own.
    Well, all of this is no ones business but his own, he just chose to share it. I just brought it up because he said the reason he said he made the announcement is to end rumor and speculation. Adding that in is just going to fuel rumor and speculation for some.

vCash
    This is as shocking and unexpected as Weir coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    While I'm not shocked I do applaud his bravery. As famous as he is and as young as he still is, to come out this way must have been very traumatic and to handle this so maturely is to be applauded. Not to mention the help this move will give to others facing a similar dilemma. Well done Tom
    It feels like the floodgates have broken now.

Something like this would have never happened until very recently. Daley is young, very handsome, has a high public profile and any manager or pr person would tell him to stay in the closet because coming out would almost certainly make him less attractive to sponsors.

It's great to hear about his family's support and I also hope that he is going to encourage more athletes to come out.

Though I guess that statement doesn't really say if he is or not, maybe he still doesn't know what his 'label' is?

Well, all of this is no ones business but his own, he just chose to share it. I just brought it up because he said the reason he said he made the announcement is to end rumor and speculation. Adding that in is just going to fuel rumor and speculation for some.
    How about allowing people to express their sexuality however they want to instead of labelling it and dividing it along artificial binary lines that don't exist?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 12-02-2013 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    Kudos to Tom.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    It's still a sad world where someone has to be scared of showing the world who they are. I still don't understand why being gay has to take precedence over everything else.

One day it will just be a blip on someone's biography and that will be that. Famous people, especially athletes, coming out I think will help spur that along. But that day isn't here yet. Straight is still the default until proven otherwise, and many people still don't believe children know they're gay. I dunno, I had a crush on a boy in the second grade, I already knew then I liked boys. Why should it be any different if a little boy crushes on another boy or a little girl crushes on another girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It feels like the floodgates have broken now.

Something like this would have never happened until very recently. Daley is young, very handsome, has a high public profile and any manager or pr person would tell him to stay in the closet because coming out would almost certainly make him less attractive to sponsors.

It's great to hear about his family's support and I also hope that he is going to encourage more athletes to come out.
    I dunno, I feel like someone being gay makes them MORE attractive to me. But it's more like, they aren't scared of hiding who they are, so rock on you awesome person!

vCash
    I think Tom just wants to be openly happy with his partner. His coming out officially is just a formality for the public.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I think Tom just wants to be openly happy with his partner. His coming out officially is just a formality for the public.
    From listening to the entire YouTube clip I get the feeling that maybe some paper was planning an expose - maybe they had pictures that they were planning on publishing (I don't know for sure I am just speculating) - and that Tom had decided that he was going to take their thunder from them. Yes it is still making headlines but on Tom's terms - no one else's.
    Last edited by Lorac; 12-03-2013 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I dunno, I feel like someone being gay makes them MORE attractive to me. But it's more like, they aren't scared of hiding who they are, so rock on you awesome person!
    And I am hoping, we're now slowly moving towards the point where it's acceptance and not homophobia that are mainstream. At least in the most developed nations (other than the US ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How about allowing people to express their sexuality however they want to instead of labelling it and dividing it along artificial binary lines that don't exist?
    I don't know why you think that I'm labeling in a binary fashion, I clearly presented 3 options, and there could be more.
    People can live their lives however they want, but the world tends to want labels. Especially when you are in the public eye and someone needs to write a headline. I could care less what the label is, what Tom Daley "is" really doesn't effect my life at all. It's just that in our current world, people seem to be moving towards very accepting of gay, but still very wary of 'bi'. (Me personally, it doesn't matter to me- what other people do with their love life has nothing to do with me.) I just don't think that he did much to end speculation and rumors. I do think he was incredibly brave to make the statement, especially with regards to sports sponsorship.

vCash
    People can live their lives however they want, but the world tends to want labels.
    Some people want labels, and they often assume everyone else does. It appears, however, that the young man in question isn't one of those people, at least not at this point in his life.

vCash
    Good for him. I'm glad he was able to do this on his own terms.

I read it on Buzzfeed first and unfortunately, there was another piece that outlined negative responses on Twitter. People can be so gross.

vCash
    I don't know why you think that I'm labeling in a binary fashion, I clearly presented 3 options, and there could be more.
    What I object to is an attempt to confine sexuality to boxes (I'm not necessarily directing those comments at you personally as I am aware you were talking about how others would respond). It is something that exists on a spectrum. The best thing about this coming out video was the rejection of any labels and simply acknowledging that he has a male partner at the moment. Which reminds me of a Judith Butler quote stolen from my favourite blog:

'And so when we speak about my sexuality or my gender, as we do (and as we must), we mean something complicated by it. Neither of these is precisely a possession, but both are to be understood as modes of being dispossessed, ways of being for another, or, indeed, by virtue of another.'

BuzzFeed has a good article, making that point:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/saeedjones/t...-a-new-way-out

Of course, as you said, people want labels and a lot of gays are going to bash him for what they will see as a cop out. The first comment under the above article says 'unfortunately he felt the need to qualify his statement by saying he still is attracted to women.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast