Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    This one works well. I'm currently watching the Tuscaloosa regional on CBSSports.com; live and for free.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    LSU nailed beam, best rotation of the season but scoring is just a tiny bit tight so not a season high.

Zam from UCLA had a rough fall on her dismount, I think her foot slipped off. They did not have to count it, though.

UCLA has a bye then floor. LSU ends on floor and then vault. LSU is ranked #1 on vault and I believe #5 on floor.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    These judges are pissing me off. Mathis has a rather noticeable error on her first pass and scores 9.9? Then Courville comes along and does the BEST floor I have ever seen her do. Her arabian absolutely dropped out of the sky. How in the hell could the judges give it the same 9.9 as a routine with a noticeable error? This is a travesty. It seems judges take off the same for any error, miniscule, small, medium or large. That is a shame. If Mathis was a 9.9 then Courville was a 10.1 and and Hall was a 10.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    LSU advances and ends with a 197.275! Way to go, going over 197 with a sub 49 on bars!!
    -Brian

vCash
    Minnesota is going to NCAA's for the first time since 2002! What an awesome meet they had!

vCash
    Teams heading to NCAAs:

Florida
    Minnesota
    UCLA
    LSU
    UGA
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    Utah
    Michigan
    Illinois
    Stanford
    Oklahoma

The sessions will be:

Afternoon:
    Florida
    UGA
    LSU
    Minnesota
    Stanford
    Illinois

Evening:
    UCLA
    Utah
    Alabama
    Michigan
    Arkansas
    Oklahoma

The evening session looks brutal. I could see any of those teams making the Super 6 except Arkansas. No offense to Arkansas but the other 5 teams will all be fighting for the 3 spots. The afternoon session looks more obvious although all these teams are capable of upsetting. I would imagine if they all hit that Florida LSU and UGA should advance, probably in that order although LSU and UGA have been neck and neck all season (although LSU has beaten them all 3 times). My prediction for the evening session is Alabama, Oklahoma and Michigan. I think UCLA has a chance being at home but the other teams are better and Utah just doesn't look good but they have ALWAYS managed to find a way to make it to the Super 6 so maybe their luck will continue.
    -Brian

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Finally home and settled a bit after a wonderful evening at the Columbus Regional (it's two hours up and two hours back for me so I've only been home for about an hour) and thankfully, you guys all ready know which two teams made it from that regional so I don't have to go back and recap that part. We had a fantastic time at the meet though and it was a pretty clean one for the most part. I have to agree that there were some judging shenanigans going on with some of the scores though. Arizona was over scored on vault and beam, Ohio State got screwed on vault (we were right in front of this event so I saw this one very well), and LSU & UCLA got ridiculous scores on FX (though most of the routines were squeaky clean so I can't argue with the majority of them). It just seemed like the judges knew which two teams they wanted to make it through this regional and they scored them that way.

Anyway, Ohio State had a pretty strong meet overall (I lost track of how many stuck landings they had and I SWEAR they weren't given nearly enough credit for how clean some of their routines were today) but their vault scores still irk me. Their beam set was AMAZING and I thought their scores there could have easily been higher. I think there was only one girl who had a small bobble on one of her elements and everyone else was ROCK SOLID. It was amazing. Sarah Miller was AWESOME and actually qualified for NCAAs on beam and then Melanie Schaeffer ended up qualifying for the AA at NCAAs too so I'm crazy proud of those two Buckeye girls! Sarah actually impressed me the most because she was up rocking her beam set at the same time Llomenica Hall was rocking the FX (talk about a hard thing for me to watch because I wanted so badly to see both of them!!) and the crowd noise jumped up about fifteen decibels during these two routines, LOL Some other things that impressed me today were LSU on beam and vault, UCLA on beam and FX, Central Michigan in general had some really nice gymnastics (they had to count at least one bad score, maybe two, which doomed them overall), Arizona on UB, and NC State on FX. Vanessa Zamarippa (UCLA) looked really strong on everything (she had a fantastic bars set) but that weird fall on her beam dismount doomed her in the AA.

Overall it was such a fun night and I'm really glad that we got to go. It was REALLY hard to watch everything because it all happens at the same time but I think I got to see just about everything from my top three teams (OSU, LSU, UCLA). I took a bunch of pictures during the meet (there are a lot of beam pics because that was the one event where my camera didn't go haywire with the lighting) but I'll have to post them tomorrow. I need some sleep now!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Thanks, BigB08822, skipaway, and A.H.Black for the info and links!

Yep, the scoring in college gymnastics is so screwy to me. It's like anything half way decent can't get below a 9.8. As someone mentioned above, many of these are expereienced judges who have (and still do) judged the lower levels for years. So it's not like the judges don't know or don't see the mistakes. I guess it's just how the culture of college gymnastics scoring has evolved. It doesn't make much sense to me, though.
    Last edited by rudi; 04-07-2013 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    Here is Rheagan's FX from Regionals. I just love this routine. Look at that double arabian. She opened up out of it and just nailed it. I may have screamed a little when I saw it on the stream. I thought she opened up too early but wow, she was right on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqyXejlKdpE
    -Brian

vCash
    I went to the Gainesville regional and had a great time Crazily enough, it was the third time I had seen Minnesota in action this season (once when they were @Florida and then at the Big Ten Championships). Florida obviously blew away the competition. I think that there were some scores that were verrrrry high -- the entire vault rotation was overscored, Dickerson and Hunter both had big hops on their landings and got 9.95s, but I guess the judges painted themselves into a corner when Alaina Johnson (who returned to the lineup since the very early part of the season) was the 2nd person up and received a 10 from one judge. Bars scores were quite accurate, and the beam as well for the most part (with the exception of Hunter placing 2nd with a 9.925 for a routine with two small checks -- clearly the judges are rewarding her for mounting with a front tuck and dismounting with a double back).

Things were SUPER tight between Minnesota and Auburn for the 2nd nationals spot. Neither team had a larger lead then a tenth and a half, and going into the final rotation they were just a half tenth apart. The last rotation was nuts, UF was on floor, and I was trying so hard to watch both Auburn and Minnesota's routines. Auburn started beam with a fall and then their 2nd score was a 9.75, and after Minnesota hit their first 3 vaults, I knew they were going to have it. Much deserved for this program, and I was so happy for them! They've been so consistent and solid and this team really deserved it. They were so excited when they found out they made it!

On the other end of the spectrum, I felt bad for Auburn, they let things slip away in the final rotation. They did have two girls qualify for AA though. I also felt horrible for a girl from Pittsburgh who tied one of the Auburn girls, but doesn't get to go to Nationals because of a stupid tiebreaker (broken by whoever had the highest individual event score -- which is somewhat controversial because if they had the highest event score among someone they tied with, it also means they had the lowest).

It was nice to see Bridgeport in action. They've been up and coming for awhile and have finally made regionals. They have a lot they can clean up on and improve upon, but considering how far they have come, they must have been thrilled for the experience.

Finally, that second session for Nationals looks completely brutal

vCash
    Thanks for the Gainesville recap! I'm thrilled for Minnesota...they've had such a great season!

vCash
    I can't wait for Nationals to begin on Friday. I am on pins and needles. It is upsetting that I wont be able to follow the prelims session live since I will be at work but I will try my best to keep looking at LSU Gymnastics facebook page to see their updates. I really hope they make Super 6 so I can watch that live.

By the way, Vault EF will only have 1 vault this year. All 6 judges scores will be averaged to determine the winner, so no dropping of the high or low. I am happy about not forcing gymnasts to do a 2nd vault that they haven't done all year but I would rather keep 2 vaults and just allow them to repeat their usual vault. Reward consistency over nailing one landing. I also don't like any one judge knowing they can lowball someone and hold their score down.
    -Brian

vCash
    ^ I agree about the vault rule. In an event dominated by yurchenko fulls, I think NCAA needs two vaults more than elite does to be honest. At any rate, hoping for a stellar swansong week for Zamarippa. I also have a great feeling about Florida and Bridget Sloan/Kytra Hunter. I predict LSU and Oklahoma to make some noise, and Alabama will sneak away with at least one NCAA title (if its team... I give up.).

vCash
    I really hope Florida pulls it off and take the team title finally. However, I think Oklahoma could make a strong challenge. The final six I would LIKE to see is Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan, LSU, UCLA, and Stanford. However, I know that Alabama not being in there is unlikely and it is likely to be UCLA or Michigan that gets bumped out...and honestly, depending on how Utah performs, both could get knocked out.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash

2013 NCAA Gymnastics - 'Cause it's Always a Good Time!

Prelims get underway in about an hour and a half. I wish the LSU Tigers much luck!!!
    -Brian

vCash
    Anyone watching the men this afternoon? I'm confused by the fact that the live results are marking Adrian de los Angeles as an AA competitor for Michigan but not Sam Mikulak. Sam won the AA at B1Gs so this is totally odd to me. And I don't seem to have missed any news this week.

At any rate, Minnesota, Michigan and Oklahoma all looking strong in the first couple of rotations.

ETA: and the commentators just explained that they were resting Sam on rings today so he'd be fresh if they make it to tomorrow. But that does mean giving up competing for the AA title, doesn't it?

vCash

2013 NCAA Gymnastics - 'Cause it's Always a Good Time!

I don't know the rules for men but if they are like the womens then yes, prelims determine AA Champion and Sam would not be eligible.
    -Brian

vCash
    Okay, the Universe does not want to tell me anything about this. It looks like the NCAA men actually do team and AA finals at the same time. In that case, this move would make sense.

vCash
    michigan, oklahoma, and illinois have qualified for the finals tomorrow in the men's championship.

vCash
    LSU needs a 48.525 (if my math is correct) on bars to make Super 6. They may need less than that depending on how UGA does but since UGA is within .150 of LSU and they are finishing on vault, I kind of assume they will end the session ahead of LSU.

Courville needs a 9.9 on bars to tie for the AA at this point with Sloan. That is tough but she is lucky to be going on one of her weaker events at the end of the competition when scores may have relaxed just a little.

Hall did not make floor finals. She scored 9.875. 9.900 is getting you in so she barely missed.
    -Brian

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast