Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Just saw Kyrta Hunter waiting at a red light on a motorized scooter as I was turning at an intersection! Her foot was in a boot/soft cast. I shouted "Go Gators!" as I passed by but I don't think she heard me.

vCash
    And Florida doesn't even have Aly Raisman, who was someone they had verbally committed and nearly signed until last year. She would have been awesome at NCAA.

vCash
    Current Rankings:

1. Florida
    2. Oklahoma
    3. Michigan
    4. UCLA
    5. Alabama
    6. Utah
    7. LSU
    8. Nebraska
    9. Georgia
    10. Stanford
    11. Minnesota
    12. Denver
    13. Oregon State
    14. Arizona
    15. Auburn
    16. Boise State
    17. Kentucky
    18. Maryland
    19. Ohio State
    20. Arkansas
    21. Illinois
    22. Kent State
    23. Washington
    24. Central Michigan
    25. Arizona State
    ---Other Notables---
    27. Iowa
    28. Penn State
    30. California
    38. Missouri
    45. Michigan State
    64. Lindenwood

Notable meets tonight:

Missouri @ Kentucky
    Arkansas @ LSU
    Auburn @ Alabama
    Utah @ Washington
    Arizona State @ Stanford

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

2013 NCAA Gymnastics - 'Cause it's Always a Good Time!

I will be at the LSU meet tonight!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    You can view the Alabama/Auburn meet for free at: http://www.rolltide.com/allaccess/?media=362105
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    LSU posted a 196.800 something. It was a great meet except for beam. They scored a 48.600 or somewhere around there on beam, so if they could have just gone 49 on beam they would have been looking at or near a season high.

Sarie Morrison scored a perfect 10 on vault. It was absolutely gorgeous. This marks two weeks in a row with a 10.000 for LSU. I thought Hall might get another 10 on floor but they gave her a 9.950

There was some questionable judging. I felt Arkansas was getting hammered on beam for no good reason. The first two gymnasts nail their beam sets and couldn't get above a 9.750 Those sets were easily 9.8+ sets. I know they were early in the lineup but they had the difficulty and form, why can't they get the score? The same thing happened to Dickson on vault for LSU. She nailed her vault and only got a 9.825 while a vault with a big hop right after her went 9.800 and they were comparable in all other departments.

The other low score was Mathis on floor. She rocked that set and went 9.850 (right after Savona scored a 9.900). The only thing I can figure is her double layout was landed with a low chest even though she had no issues with the landing and still took her lunge back and not forward. She often pikes it down as well so I guess tonight they really hit her for it. She nailed her double pike dismount with feet together. I think I saw a petition filed or something. I know you can't petition a score (only a start value, I think) but maybe they filed one of those things where they get to see what deductions were taken. I would want to know, especially from the judge who gave it a 9.800

LSU looked great, though. I don't know what happened on beam. Everyone was a shaky mess. Savona actually stepped off the end of the beam. Huge mental break, I guess. The team may have been too focused on the big start and mentally began thinking about the final score instead of focusing on getting through beam first.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Video of Morrison's vault. What a beautifully effortless piece of gymnastics! Well-deserved 10.0, IMO!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    FYI: The women's meet of Ohio State-Michigan State is airing on B10 Network this afternoon at 5 PM EST. Go Bucks!!

BTW-I've been watching the men's Ohio State-Michigan meet this afternoon and it's been a little messy in spots but it's also had some really great gymnastics too. Both of these teams are insanely talented and it's been really fun watching them (aside from the fact that Michigan's winning at the halfway point, LOL ).
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Nice distance on the Yurchenko 1/1, I'd have gone 9.95 for the slight pike but then again I reserve all of my 10's on vault for Zamarippa. Very nice, would love to see a Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan, LSU, UCLA, Stanford Super 6 this year. I think the teams that haven't won an NCAA title yet have been the most impressive this year, still have my money on Florida. (and wow Bridget! won yet another AA)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I'm especially impressed with Kytra Hunter and Bridget so far this year. Mackenzie Caquatto has scored 10 on bars, then they have Ashanee Dickerson and soo many others in every lineup.
    This sums up my at UF this year. That is, Marissa King has been buried. I know that athletes like Hall and team mates Dickerson and Hunter meet NCAA requirements and execute their elements nicely but reality is they are inferior gymnasts (by far) to the likes of King (more dynamic, far better style) and Caquatto. It bugs me no end that better athletes have to water their skills in order to create a level playing field. Only to be outscored on that field by inferior gymnasts.

Marissa King's Vault and Floor are the best in NCAA for me. I also really like her bars and beam, but she's unlikely to do AA and even if she does, she won't score as well as Dickerson/Hunter who have easier routines because they don't have the skill set.

That LSU girl, Hall, is horrific and gets a 10.....

vCash
    Oh lord, not with the Hall bashing again? People have such a huge problem with someone like Hall getting a 10 on floor. This is the NCAA and it embraces ALL TYPES of athletes. Gymnastic snobs (and you are a snob, Poths) think gymnastics should only reward one look, style or body type. Everyone else is inferior and not even worthy of competing on the same floor. NCAA embraces the other gymnasts and that is why someone like Hall can get a 10 on floor. Hall could NEVER get a 10 on the other events but her power and tumbling are rewarded in the NCAA. There is nothing wrong with her tumbling skills and her leaps all have good lines and pointed toes and hit the splits. You may not think that is possible but go back and watch a video, she hits her positions. It almost always comes down to style and the "if this is where choreography is heading then I want no part of it" argument. You are more than welcome to hate her routine but it is NOT a deduction when Poths doesn't like someone's music/dance/etc. She hits her elements, nails her tumbling, no deductions? Well then, yes, it is a 10 whether you like it or not.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Oh lord, not with the Hall bashing again? People have such a huge problem with someone like Hall getting a 10 on floor. This is the NCAA and it embraces ALL TYPES of athletes. Gymnastic snobs (and you are a snob, Poths) think gymnastics should only reward one look, style or body type. Everyone else is inferior and not even worthy of competing on the same floor. NCAA embraces the other gymnasts and that is why someone like Hall can get a 10 on floor. Hall could NEVER get a 10 on the other events but her power and tumbling are rewarded in the NCAA. There is nothing wrong with her tumbling skills and her leaps all have good lines and pointed toes and hit the splits. You may not think that is possible but go back and watch a video, she hits her positions. It almost always comes down to style and the "if this is where choreography is heading then I want no part of it" argument. You are more than welcome to hate her routine but it is NOT a deduction when Poths doesn't like someone's music/dance/etc. She hits her elements, nails her tumbling, no deductions? Well then, yes, it is a 10 whether you like it or not.
    This. While I do find NCAA marking overlooks form problems, and find Dickerson / Hunter both get overmarked in comparison to King, one really can't argue with Hall's marks. The tumbling is absolutely huge, and she does hit all her elements including the leaps. I just don't see where you're coming from with this Poths. Lloimincia has an unconventional body type when it comes to gymnastics - and as long as she hits the elements, that should never be held against her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    This. While I do find NCAA marking overlooks form problems, and find Dickerson / Hunter both get overmarked in comparison to King, one really can't argue with Hall's marks. The tumbling is absolutely huge, and she does hit all her elements including the leaps. I just don't see where you're coming from with this Poths. Lloimincia has an unconventional body type when it comes to gymnastics - and as long as she hits the elements, that should never be held against her.
    I'm TRYING to be less of a snob, I promise

Hall is pretty fun, and I get that she's entertaining and absolutely get that she has big clean tumbles and very good splits. SO, eh...what was my point? Oh, yeh, King and even Sloan.....

The fact that a clean Hall is a 10, means that at best, a clean King and Sloan are tied with her. :/ There has to be something that can be done about that!
    Just in terms of the double layout with bent knees and flat feet...10? really?

Hall is essentially Candeloro and Bonaly, both worth their medals and brought admirable qualities, but if they were to tie with a clean Kulik and Kwan, I'd have issues.

Perhaps it's just the price former elite athletes have to pay for not selling out and getting an education , but I don't think real class should not be undervalued/repressed just because the majority of the competition doesn't have it!

NCAA could be so much better IMO (it's still fairly enjoyable )
    Last edited by poths; 02-17-2013 at 07:06 PM.

vCash

I get your point about there not being enough separation but there are deductions on even gymnasts like King that judges often ignore. The code needs to separate more but class or lack of is simply not a deduction. It would need to be defined and that's far too subjective, even for a sport like gymnastics.
    -Brian

vCash
    I don't think Hall is an elegant gymnat, but she's very likable and fun to watch with amazing tumbling (just not amazing form, although her leaps are good, she kind of reminds me of Dos Santos in that regard). I thought the 10 was a stretch, but with the way NCAA is scored, it doesn't surprise me. There's something about the wall Hall holds her shoulders that irks me.

I'm with Karpenko on those teams for Super 6. However, Alabama will be in the mix and I'm assuming it will be to the detriment of LSU or Stanford. Stanford hasn't scored as well as I thought they would with Hong and Vaculik. I think Utah might also sneak in the Super 6. In honesty, there are a lot of teams that could end up in that Super 6 depending on the day. I would say Georgia and Nebraska could also end up there depending on how the sessions are stacked.

I don't know why, but I've never been an Ashanee Dickerson fan. I admire her, but I can say I enjoy her gymnastics. I do find Marissa King a little buried in the lineup this year and I'm not loving her floor exercise as much as I have in the past. Even though I like Randy Stageberg (she had an amazing floor in 2006 with a double pike side pass), I find it weird that she's still consistently in the beam and floor lineup.

I enjoy most of the UCLA floor routines this year. I just read, though, that Oregon Stat upset them last night. It seems Melanie Jones and McKayla Stambaugh had good nights last night. I loved Jones's floor last year and thought she got hosed in event finals at NCAAs.

My actual favorite floor routine this year in Rheagan Courville. I love the music and her choreography is really good.

vCash

I agree, Courville is sublime. I hope she can find a better rhythm on beam because she really could challenge in the AA and win the beam title. She changed her final series on beam from a front tuck into a back pike gainer to a front aerial sissone leap back like gainer. Gives the dismount a little more credibility in the difficulty department and is a more consistent series of elements for her.
    -Brian

vCash
    I am in LOVE with this bar routine from Minnesota's Janell Campbell. This year's Minnesota squad is just all kinds of awesome. I hope they can keep their positive momentum going!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I am in LOVE with this bar routine from Minnesota's Janell Campbell. This year's Minnesota squad is just all kinds of awesome. I hope they can keep their positive momentum going!
    I think she has a lot of potential but that bar routine needs a real release skill to challenge. She only has the high to low transition, which is in almost every single bar routine (if not, the other gymnasts do a transition that is more difficult like a pak). She doesn't even have a release to go from low to high. I would think that routine would really struggle in the post season to go above 9.850 even if she hit it perfectly. It just doesn't hold up.
    -Brian

vCash
    I like the routine, but I agree that it needs another element. If she put a tkatchev after the pirouette, that would be pretty great.

vCash
    I mainly love her form. And the fact that she ends with something other than a DLO!

It's certainly not the most difficult routine Minnesota has (I didn't say it was), but it's one of the prettiest.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast