Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I know several people who have taught in Costa Rica and looooooooooooooooooooved it, but I think the advice on this site is pretty on target: http://www.delapuravida.com/2012/tea...here-when-how/

Another option might be to look into teaching at Department of Defense or State Department schools overseas, or one of the other programs listed here: http://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/c21946.htm

I know quite a few people who have taught in DoDDS schools and liked it very much. They got to teach in familiar ways in unfamiliar places.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Another option might be to look into teaching at Department of Defense or State Department schools overseas, or one of the other programs listed here: http://www.state.gov/m/dghr/flo/c21946.htm

I know quite a few people who have taught in DoDDS schools and liked it very much. They got to teach in familiar ways in unfamiliar places.
    Oh, I agree with this. I know lots of people who have done this and loved it!

vCash
    Angel, I was referring to International Schools. I didn't think Matry or TGCS's son wanted to teach ESL. I could be wrong, though.

I started to apply with DoDDS, but you can't pick your location. They pick for you. For some people, that might not be an issue, but for me, it was.

vCash
    No PL, you're right, I'd prefer to teach a subject, but I'm not adverse to teaching ESL. I'm pretty flexible as to what I teach--I just can't teach math beyond 7th grade or science beyond 10th. I've worked every ability level but shine with the bookends--gifted and low achieving/at risk.

I'm researching DoDDS schools, and for every plus, there are some serious cons. The most significant are you're in an American school surrounded by Americans, and you have to seek out non-Americans. I'm looking to be immersed in somewhere that's else. Also, DoDDS schools can kick you out for no reason given-no contract, no guarantee. I would hate to go through the process and end up in Guam for only three months.

Plus, the more I look at intl schools in China, the better they look. I might have an in--one of my authors visited four intl schools last year, and I worked very closely on logistic issues for shipping books. They were really pleased.

And I have an inquiry from Venezuela!!!!

vCash
    It sounds as though you are already moving in a good direction, Matryeshka.

vCash
    My sister is 18 and is teaching English in Taiwan, through a government program that deals with an organization that we're a part of. It's fantastic experience and her living and travel costs are taken care of, and she receives a weekly stipend. All she has is a high school degree and TESOL certification, so it's definitely possible to teach in certain places abroad with minimal qualification and experience.

vCash
    For anyone looking to teach English, I know that learning english is very big in Thailand right now and the gov't is requiring that it be taught in secondary schools there so all kids will have english as their second language.

Beautiful country....beautiful people...and you can live quite well on minimal income. Have no idea of the requirements but sounds good to me.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    If you have TESOL/TOEFL certification, you can go to all kinds of places. I know people who have taught in many countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I'm researching DoDDS schools, and for every plus, there are some serious cons. The most significant are you're in an American school surrounded by Americans, and you have to seek out non-Americans.
    That's true; you are on an American base teaching American kids.

But my friends have made the most of their time--and they generally end up with more free time teaching at those schools than they do if they teach at local schools, if only because the job itself is usually very much what they have been used to.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I'm definitely applying for everything I can. My mom and several of my friends are doing "but why..." thing so it's nice to have good advice and support here. My best friend though is all for it and believes she should have a say in where I go.

I'm not sure DoDDS will take me as my teaching certificate has lapsed and I've since learned due to my teaching mostly in charter schools, I have things missing where the schools did not turn in the paperwork properly. Since Louisiana charter schools tend to be fly-by-night, in one year, out the next operations, I have no recourse of action to prove I taught there. :angry:

It just occurred to me to with the DoDDS should I get accepted, it would be a good dip-your-toe-in the waters of international teaching. I could be American when I needed to be and would have access--I think in most places--to American goods and services. On the other hand, I can also see that as being an excuse to not go out and explore. I don't think I'd do that, but you never know.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If you do DoDDS and then find that you become American-centric, you'll at least have built your resume teaching abroad, and then you can get your next job through another type of program. Chances are you'll develop connections no matter which route you take.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post

It just occurred to me to with the DoDDS should I get accepted, it would be a good dip-your-toe-in the waters of international teaching. I could be American when I needed to be and would have access--I think in most places--to American goods and services. On the other hand, I can also see that as being an excuse to not go out and explore. I don't think I'd do that, but you never know.
    I worked on military bases in Germany, but still managed to date two German guys, one French guy, one British guy and an Irish guy.

and two Americans, for those keeping score.

vCash
    I will totally ho myself out in the name of education and international peace and bringing people together. I'm particularly interested in having international peace with hot tangoing South Americans cause of NAFTA. I'm a good person that way.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12