vCash

Where to buy Smart Phone/ iPhone

Is it better to buy a smart phone - or iPhone in this case - from Best Buy, directly from the carrier, or from an Apple store? The price for the phone with a two year contract seems to be the same at all three, but I wonder if it's easier to address any issue with the phone and more timely customer service, for example, if I buy it in person at Best Buy or an Apple store versus ordering it from Verizon?

vCash
    I went to the Verizon store because my cell phone at that time had service with Verizon. I signed up for a 2-year contract, and could have gotten an i4 phone for free. I decided to spend $100 extra and got an i4-phone with Siri. They did not have i5 in stock.

If you have service for your cell phone, you may want to check with that company first, and see if you could get the smart phone or i-phone for free or for a largely discounted price.

I remember that a few months ago Best Buy was giving an i-phone or a smart phone for free if you signed up for x no. of year service (I think at that time it was with Verizon). You can check with Best Buy how to get the phone for free or for a very low price.

vCash
    I have an iPhone 4S that I purchased from Verizon with a 2 year contract. I have had to call Apple once for some help and they did not care that I bought it through Verizon and were very helpful. I am currently having an issue that Verizon is helping me on, due to the Backup Assist app. Verizon is very helpful. No complaints.

vCash
    I bought mine at the ATT store. They were able to verify that my employer offers a discount, something that Apple couldn't do. I've had the phone checked at the Apple Store several times without any issues.

eta, I would avoid Best Buy right now as they seem to be having financial trouble. If you must buy from a discounter, I'd recommend Costco or Walmart.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 01-02-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I would recommend the carrier. I use Verizon and I have a lovely person who takes care of me. it is very convenient. and as far as I can see Ver8z9n has the best coverage.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I'd reccomend getting it directly from the carrier as well. I got my iPhone 4s from Verizon.

vCash
    Best Buy is offering $50 off all iPhones through January 5, just requires a new or extended two year contract with AT&T or Verizon. Apple will not price match and said the store is taking a loss but most likely is getting some kick back from the carriers.

vCash
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm inching to go with Verizon, because I know that it'll ship the iphone 5 unlocked, which is something I want for future overseas travel. I see the $50 dollar off from Best Buy too; I'll ask them if their phone is also unlocked.