View Poll Results: Who will be the third U.S. lady at the Olympics?

Voters
219. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alissa Czisny

21 9.59%
  • Rachael Flatt

5 2.28%
  • Christina Gao

104 47.49%
  • Courtney Hicks

12 5.48%
  • Mirai Nagasu

40 18.26%
  • Agnes Zawadzki

29 13.24%
  • Caroline Zhang

3 1.37%
  • Other (Please Specify)

5 2.28%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Third U.S. Lady

With Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold getting back three spots for the U.S. and consistently improving and moving up the world rankings I think it's safe to say that if they continue their trajectory upward they will be going to the Olympics next year. The big question mark, however, is who will be joining them? I know it's too early to tell who will make the Olympic team period, and there is no guarantee that Ashley and Gracie will be on the team, but I thought it would be fun to just speculate on who we think is going to be the third U.S. lady at the Olympics if they are both named to the Olympic team.

My pick is Christina Gao. Not only does she have great aesthetic qualities, but she is a complete package of technical ability and artistry. She had great results during the Grand Prix this season which included making the Grand Prix Final, and the international judges seem to be warming up to her. The judges would be idiots to hold her back at Nationals again for other skaters who have failed to deliver the goods. I hope she has a great season next year and goes out there and kicks butt.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by lilshorty; 03-17-2013 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    I agree with you, lilshorty, unless an unseen injury occurs or she chooses to quit, I see her as the strongest & steadiest of the remaining girls.

vCash
    I pick Christina Gao. It will be one of Gao or Zawadzki though, with an outside shot for Hicks. It wont be Nagasu, Czisny, Zhang or Flatt (ROTFL at Flatt making it) I dont think. Wang, Miller, Siraj, and Cesario should be on the poll instead of Flatt.

BTW yes it is a guarantee barring a massive injury that Gold and Wagner will be on the team. Even a poor skate at Nationals (which I hope doesnt happen) wont prevent it.

vCash
    If Gracie and Ashley both make the team next year i would love to see someone new like Angela Wang get that 3rd spot. I know it's a long shot but she has real potential. It would be a nice balance of youth and a veteran on the team. Right now though it seems Gao is the favorite then after that Hicks, Nagasu and Agnes.

vCash
    I would actually give more chance to someone like Wang springing a surprie and making the team than Nagasu or Czisny making it at this point. I think one of the spent forces who peaked around 2010-2011 will have to skate a blinder for the judges to even consider putting them on the team. Wang is good enough potentially to make it, but like alot of them she struggles with consistency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If Gracie and Ashley both make the team next year i would love to see someone new like Angela Wang get that 3rd spot. I know it's a long shot but she has real potential. It would be a nice balance of youth and a veteran on the team. Right now though it seems Gao is the favorite then after that Hicks, Nagasu and Agnes.
    Agreed- I think Wang or Miller should be in the conversation. I find them to have way more potential than some of the seniors that have been around longer. Miller performed to her music better than anyone at nationals, in my opinion. She had that Lipinski star quality.

I did find Gao impressive (artistic and decently consistent) and she's becoming a sentimental fave with all the 5th places.

I'm kind of over Agnes- she's had so many chances and not delivered on stages way smaller than the Olympics. Unless she can put down a clean long next year at Nationals and her GP, just no.

Hicks- out of the top 10 at Nationals, she was by far the least pleasant to watch. Then her big jumps (which are her ticket) failied her at Junior Worlds. It pains me to think of watching her at the Olympics over Gao, Miller, Wang, Nagasu.

Nagasu- USFSA seemed to send a harsh message that they were done with her and she no longer has the Frank factor. She will have to have the skate of her life at nationals and give them no reason whatsoever to question her jumps.

Czisny- I don't think she's coming back but maybe three spots changes that. We'll see.

Flatt-No comment. I wish her well at Stanford and am genuinely glad she seems so happy there.

My dream team- Ashley, Gracie, Hannah
    My more realistic team which would also be great- Ashley, Gracie, Christina

vCash
    Mrs. Pell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Mrs. Pell
    This! We have 3 spots, why not? Why not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Mrs. Pell
    But will she be able to do any 3-3 while with child

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I do think Wagner and Gold have the best shot at a medal and best finishes at this point, but if she was 3rdish at Nationals, it would be dumb to not send the 4th place finisher from the last Olympics, particularly since the judges like her look on the ice and will score her well if she performs well, despite her inconsistencies.

vCash
    Flatt is still on the list ?

vCash
    No idea.
    Between Gao, Nagasu and Czisny ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Flatt is still on the list ?
    If she ends up our number 3, I vote we give the spot to Russia.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    An auction?

I voted Gao although I prefer Zawadski. I think she is just too unreliable. Gao is taking a year off from Harvard, right? That would be good as she has tons of work to do.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    Hicks- out of the top 10 at Nationals, she was by far the least pleasant to watch. Then her big jumps (which are her ticket) failied her at Junior Worlds. It pains me to think of watching her at the Olympics over Gao, Miller, Wang, Nagasu.
    I was worried I was alone. I think Hicks could not challenge Mae Berenice in components.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.

vCash
    I'd say the chances are:

Gao
    Zawadzki

Wang, Miller, Nagasu
    Czisny, Cesario, Edmunds

Hicks, Zhang

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I'd say the chances are:

Gao
    Zawadzki

Wang, Miller, Nagasu
    Czisny, Cesario, Edmunds

Hicks, Zhang
    I agree with those except I think you have Hicks way too low. The USFSA obviously likes her based on her very generous (IMO) scores from Nationals this year. I actually think she has more shot than Nagasu, and probably more than Wang and Miller. She has about 15 times more shot than Zhang (as close to nothing as can be) does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    If she ends up our number 3, I vote we give the spot to Russia.
    and didn't Flatt retired ?
    other than maybe her name was put in for a joke

vCash
    Flatt hasnt officialy retired but concedes she might not compete again. Basically her last comments were a leave it open kind of thing. I think OP included her as a joke, and it is kind of funny.

vCash
    If Hicks could poilsh her skating she would be a threat to make the team because she has big jumps and skates with attitude.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast